i dont have a dry cabinet yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

prehistorik

Nov 12, 2009
Singapore West
hi guys!

i just bought my Nikon D5000 last week (after 2months of saving my salary). right now I'm weary about the thing called fungus.

my question is, for now i dont really have a budget to buy a dry cabinet, do you know what should i do on how to store my camera so as to make it safe from fungus?

the DoItYourself thing (improvised dry box + silica gel) is kinda space consuming for me.plus, the temperature in the tight box would somehow be a bad idea even with a silica gel....(i dont trust the idea that much too for i dont know much about humidity (rH) here in singapore and the use of a hygrometer.

so please teach me how to store carefully my camera without spending that much as of now....

i might be able to buy a dry cabinet next year yet....

thanks a lot guys!

USe the camera everyday and you should not worry about fungus.

Some people recommend using the camera regularly. This will prevent the growth of fungus etc.

the temperture in the DIY dry box doesn't matter, as a dry cabi does not have temperture control as well.
as for the concern on the space issue, a dry cabi is bigger than a DIY dry box.

as mentioned by CS TAN and tehzeh, using the camera frequently will eliminate fungus problems.

I had been using my 500D for 5 months without ever buying a dry cabinet or box. No fungus or whatsoever. What's my secret?
Use your camera regularly!
After you come back from shooting, just air your camera on your bed for a few minutes before storing it back inside camera bag.
Even as i'm typing this, my dslr is lying on my bed.
:bsmilie:

the best budget solution would be to get an airtight container + silica gel. There are a few purpose built 'dry-box' on the market with built in hygrometer these should set you back less than 50 dollars but you still got to spend on silica/ microwave the purple/pink gel.

you could also try putting it in the vicinity of a thirsty hippo....

Fungus will not grow so fast one lah.
New one not enough nutrients (dirt/dust/moisture) inside to feed them.

Anyway if you really worried, just use credit card first to buy one.

Thinking of getting one soon.

Just like to know 30L one can store how many lenses & camera body.
Or no limit, as long as you can stuff them in ?

Thanks.

Which theory gives you the idea of "kinda of space consuming" from the word drybox.... box.

What do you expect the word cabinet to be of sized... a shoe box.

hi guys!
i just bought my Nikon D5000 last week (after 2months of saving my salary). ....

the DoItYourself thing (improvised dry box + silica gel) is kinda space consuming for me.plus, the temperature in the tight box would somehow be a bad idea even with a silica gel....(i dont trust the idea that much too for i dont know much about humidity (rH) here in singapore and the use of a hygrometer.

you will need dry cabinet when you started to collect lens.

the best budget solution would be to get an airtight container + silica gel. There are a few purpose built 'dry-box' on the market with built in hygrometer these should set you back less than 50 dollars but you still got to spend on silica/ microwave the purple/pink gel.

you could also try putting it in the vicinity of a thirsty hippo....

can't agree more. Had just purchased my new EOS 500D too. At then i'm deciding whether to buy a dry box..but decided to go with the economical way. buying a locknlock airtight container and a few drying agent which cost only SGD 2 dollar from Daiso...

All in all, i had spent only less than SGD 30 bucks to prevent my camera from "growing mould". If u a hard core enthuiast for DSLR, think on dry box. if you just treat your camera as a normal usuage hobbyist...getting from a cheap resource doesn't seem to be the worst options.

Just my two cents worth.:D

DO NOT leave the camera and lens in your bag or cupboard or any place with little air movement.......... put it somewhere open and airy will be best compromise

DO NOT leave the camera and lens in your bag or cupboard or any place with little air movement.......... put it somewhere open and airy will be best compromise

oh my....i had just put it in my bag for the past week but i used it regularly at night and last sunday was its first day out....hope it was just okay....

you see, im really weary, the last time i bought a camera, a Sony DSC H5, keep storing it in a bag too, in a cabinet for weeks without use. then one time it went off blank screen but on. i can playback pictures but cant use it to take photos...

hope mine is still okay considering its still one week old....thanks for this info....from now on i will carry this lesson learned from you....thank you!!!

A piece of electronic that has gone bad after prolong storage may not necessary due to fungus, can be due to corrosion. Low moisture and air limits oxidation.
Which is why if you never use your DVD player for 1year in your living room, it spoils.

Camera is not an alien equipment, just that it is more sensitive to foreign particles, thus you apply the appropriate commn knowledge on it, i.e dust and moist protection.
E.g The interior of your TV is full of dust, just that they don't affect your viewing. But dust on the screen will be visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.