I do not know what to upgrade...

bragbig

Jun 6, 2010
Singapore / Woodlands
Currently owning a Canon 550D with Kit I and 55-250mm.
Thinking of upgrading to a Sigma 18-250mm lens...

Should i just sell both my lens and only use the Sigma Lens or should i keep?
Any review on the Sigma 18-250mm lens? Tried the Tamron 18-270mm but i dun like... The image dun seems to be sharp at 200mm onwards... Any other recommendation or rather recommend me on canon L lens...

Btw i like to shoot landscape pic where the things to focus is far away but do not wan to compromise on the wide angle too...:confused:

Frankly speaking... don't buy anything. Keep to your kit lenses until you figure out in what way they are limiting you (speed, reach, wider etc.). When that happens, you will naturally know what lens to buy. :)

All such "super zoom" lenses have compromises. If you want reviews, look online. photozone.de is a good place to start.

Since you don't know what to buy, DON'T BUY. And FYI, the whole point of getting a DSLR is to be able to switch lenses, to have the right lens for the right purpose. If you want an "all in one" lens then you have to live with compromises. If you want better image quality, use separate lenses.

Any review on the Sigma 18-250mm lens? Tried the Tamron 18-270mm but i dun like... The image dun seems to be sharp at 200mm onwards... Any other recommendation or rather recommend me on canon L lens...

Btw i like to shoot landscape pic where the things to focus is far away but do not wan to compromise on the wide angle too...:confused:

I consider a 18-250 to be a downgrade from your current lenses setup. ;)

The only reason why I would personally get a superzoom lens, will be for convenience sake when I am travelling. And I will do this at expense of IQ and low light performance.

arctos: i know what i want jus that this few lens i do not know which is good for me..
i am not satisfied with my reach for your info.... what i duno is that seems like if i get 18-250, my 55-250 lens will not be use since the 18-250 have alrd cover the range. YEs u r right... thing will be compromise with super zoom and of cos the IQ. But wat i wan is more like a walk abt lens when travelling so that i do not have to bring so many lens out with me..

I consider a 18-250 to be a downgrade from your current lenses setup. ;)

The only reason why I would personally get a superzoom lens, will be for convenience sake when I am travelling. And I will do this at expense of IQ and low light performance.

daredevil123: y would you consider my current setup as a downgrade?

You need to read properly.

I am saying if you get a 18-250, the IQ will not as be good as your current setup of 2 lenses.

Why? IQ will have to be compromised to accommodate the wide range in focal length.

Last edited:
But wat i wan is more like a walk abt lens when travelling so that i do not have to bring so many lens out with me..

If that's your requirement, then go for the 18-250.

why don't you just consider a uwa lens to compliment your current setup ?

the kit lens is still very lovable . . . :D

Good Choice.. but it goes to mean tat i will have to carry around 3 lens while travelling abroad..

or rather maybe will just get a 18-200mm lens from the wts section of clubsnap...

i normally travel with a few lens too but not that often . . . :)

cos i will just carry a PnS . . . most of the time when i go overseas . . . lighter . . . ;)

Like what DD123 said earlier...it is a downgrade rather than upgrade. The Canon kit lens is a perfect match to the camera to give you an optimum image.

Do note that the Signma and Tamron is a bit slow in focusing and if the camera starts focus hunting, you will miss those important shots. If you don't know what to get...it means you're not ready to upgrade to the next level.

Go out and shoot more...that's the recommendation. :cool:

Any review on the Sigma 18-250mm lens? Tried the Tamron 18-270mm but i dun like... The image dun seems to be sharp at 200mm onwards...

Check this out.
Superzoom lenses group test.
http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/buying-guides/superzoom-lenses-group-test?page=0,0

Looks like you only have tamron or sigma to choose...
Just curious, at what shutterspeed you are shooting at when you are shooting at 200mm?

18-55 and 55-250 is really very light and portable. No sweat at all to carry such a small DSLR (550D I consider to be small) and 2 small lenses.

if you want to use only one lens... then it kinda defeats the purpose of using a DSLR right?

but if its for the sake of a holiday or a short trip? then why not just borrow a lens to use for that trip?

i have to say that your current set up is what most beginners would love to have.. becos its good, handy, and value...

don't look to have everything in one, and still have the shots like others..

Like what DD123 said earlier...it is a downgrade rather than upgrade. The Canon kit lens is a perfect match to the camera to give you an optimum image.

Do note that the Signma and Tamron is a bit slow in focusing and if the camera starts focus hunting, you will miss those important shots. If you don't know what to get...it means you're not ready to upgrade to the next level.

Go out and shoot more...that's the recommendation. :cool:

So wat about 18-200mm Canon...

tat is even worse... so what do u suggest between tamron and sigma? i have read ur link already... thanks so much... i wan a all rounder and i knw some thing i have to compromise in term of IQ