I do have some extremely newbie question to seek for advice for my 450D

lexleen

Mar 2, 2010
Dear broS out there,

This few days when i started to join this club, i started to browse through. When the day i got it my 450d and my heart kept itching for all the accessory for my CAM. Now i do have some question to ask and hope you don't mind to give me an respond. (sorry MOD if this is thread is repeated)

1) Do we really need to get DRY cabinet?

2) How do i clean the cam?

3) Must i have an external battery?

4) Is the external Flash is it a must?

5) If i purchase another lens and kept on interchange with my current kit lens will it damage to my body.

6) Is it a must to buy the UV lens or some others round round thing which come in 3 colour?

7) What is the thing used for the lens infront it look like blocking some lighting stuff?

SORRY for an long long story. Thanks for your help..... :) :)

wah... a lot of questions leh...

1) dry cabinet is recommended because it's less troublesome than a dry box. In humid singapore, it is highly recommended to reduce the risk of fungus growth in your gear.

2) Which part of the cam you talking about? Exterior probably just with a damp cloth. Don't go cleaning the sensor, lens, etc unnecessarily...

3) external battery??? you mean battery grip? Not necessary. Depends on your usage. I don't have one.

4) same as for #3. I have one, but that's my choice to. If you take landscapes only, I don't see why you'd need one...

5) If you exercise care whilst changing lens, there should be no problem. DSLRs are designed to change lenses.

6) what round round thing in 3 colour? UV filter (not lens) is not necessary. Most people buy them to protect the front of the lens. Some of my lenses have UV filter. Some don't.

7) I think you're referring to lens hood. It's useful to protect the lens against accidental knocking (eg. against your arm, body, etc). The main purpose is to reduce (not eliminate) flare when shooting at certain angles to the sun (or bright light source).

btw, TS, all your questions could have been answered by either reading your camera's manual or searching through photography sites/forums.

By right I should :kok: you, but the weekend is approaching... today good mood :)

hi,

lol i think everyone noes exactly how u feel when u r taking up photography, i'm a newbie too and i can onli answer ur question on dry cabinet LOL! coz i started a thread on it before and experiment a lot on it.

u can dig up that thread. probably everyone will advise u to get a dry cabinet coz its less troublesome and u can simply just put everything inside it and the dry cabinet will do the necessary job LOL. also its a one time investment.

as a newbie i think we want everything, but after some time u that impulsive feeling will be lessen. for me i'm using a dry box with a mini dehumidifier which works extremely well. it has more than enough space for what i wanna put inside, at least for the next yr i guess lol!

Alamak. thank for your help. i think i got to read up my manual again.... Damn... i Hate BOOKS.

Thank bro out there..

u dont need a book la...just google each one of your following question.

Yes and No. If you use your cam everyday then you dont really need it. If you use only on weekends, then its better to get one. Only $120 for the smallest one to protect your thousand plus investments

Which part? External or internal?

Whats an external battery? Extra battery or battery grip is per personal preference. For myself i dont use battery grip, but i have spare batt which is very important especially when shooting the whole day

Yes and No again. Depending on what you intend to shoot. For this you need to google and read as lighting is a big thing in photography

5) If i purchase another lens and kept on interchange with my current kit lens will it damage to my body.

No. But for cheaper lenses with plastic mounts there may be some wear and tear

6) Is it a must to buy the UV lens or some others round round thing which come in 3 colour?

There is no such thing as a must buy for photography.

7) What is the thing used for the lens infront it look like blocking some lighting stuff?

Lens hood? or are you refering to ND filter?

Yes and No. If you use your cam everyday then you dont really need it. If you use only on weekends, then its better to get one. Only $120 for the smallest one to protect your thousand plus investments

do you rather spend a small sum or risk mould growing?

Which part? External or internal?

for me i do simple wiping after each shoot, blower only when free usually once a week. i dont have many lens to change ;p

Whats an external battery? Extra battery or battery grip is per personal preference. For myself i dont use battery grip, but i have spare batt which is very important especially when shooting the whole day

external batt like battery grip not a must, spare battery is your choice. i have 2 spare third party so i can completely drain out my batt and have spare to replace

Yes and No again. Depending on what you intend to shoot. For this you need to google and read as lighting is a big thing in photography

good to have, not a must.

No. But for cheaper lenses with plastic mounts there may be some wear and tear

wear n tear do occur, nothing massive to worry about. if you dont change lens, PnS will do ;)

There is no such thing as a must buy for photography.

uv is more to protect your front of lens. would u rather scratch lens or scratch filter?

Lens hood? or are you refering to ND filter?

i think u referring to lens hood. it is to block out stray light that land on your lens, and also in other way protect your lens from accidental knocks against hard objects.

as a newbie i think we want everything, but after some time u that impulsive feeling will be lessen. for me i'm using a dry box with a mini dehumidifier which works extremely well. it has more than enough space for what i wanna put inside, at least for the next yr i guess lol!

buying a dry cabinet is not impulsive buy DUHZ. where else you rather buy a body or more lens thats consider impulsive buys (when you dun need so much when u just started out).

do you know the cost of changing your mini dehumidifier batteries far exceed the electricity u spent on per mth?

of cos it works well with your setup but how effective it is is another question mark.

buying a dry cabinet will save your headaches (changing dehumidifier batteries, worried when your dehumidifier breaks down etc)

after all, the dry cabinet only costs you the price less then a canon 50mm f1.8 lens! why SCRIMP?

I just dun get it.

take this:

1. you are storing your expensive wines not in a wine cabinet but in some old boxes tug in a corner in the store room.
2. you are keeping your clothes not in the cupboards but in some old drawers or anything you can find.
3. you are hand carrying your books instead of buying a bag

same theory, buy a proper equipment to protect your expensive equipments effectively.

Last edited: