I am.

dynermite

Nov 18, 2008
east
www.photoblog.com
4419704317_de3bf97341.jpg

Hi all, this photo was taken of my friend and edited in LR2. I want to know if the PP is too much or is it just right and whether the shot is of good quality (composition, lighting etc). This was taken outdoors (roughly about 3pm) with the model lying down and me shooting from the top. PP techniques include vignetting and a little cropping to make the photo end directly in the middle of her face.

I think that this photo conveys the subtlety and reserved nature that is ideal of a female in that particular religion, yet I want to show that she has that unyielding spirit in her that makes her such a strong individual. Does her eye convey that?

Thanks.

hmm maybe i can't appreciate such arty portrait. lol. actually i think she looks like an alien here, with the unfamiliar face shape and strange catchlights.

I'd prefer some detail in her hajib to suggest a hajib, if not I'd prefer her whole face. And that strange awful muddy grey streaking down the centre of her face has to go. PP gone very wrong?

Frankly, any lady in a hajib or being similarly covered up can show a sense of subtlety and of a reserved nature. A hajib is meant for modesty, right? In some small part you may be mistaking your own personal feelings towards your friend as what you think the photo shows. Her eye just looks strange, is that what unyielding spirit is to you?

I really like the shot :) But maybe remove the burning on the middle of her face? Other than that, the expression on her face is really nice, and that feeling of shyness is immediately picked up on first look. Great work!

hmm maybe i can't appreciate such arty portrait. lol. actually i think she looks like an alien here, with the unfamiliar face shape and strange catchlights.

I'd prefer some detail in her hajib to suggest a hajib, if not I'd prefer her whole face. And that strange awful muddy grey streaking down the centre of her face has to go. PP gone very wrong?

Frankly, any lady in a hajib or being similarly covered up can show a sense of subtlety and of a reserved nature. A hajib is meant for modesty, right? In some small part you may be mistaking your own personal feelings towards your friend as what you think the photo shows. Her eye just looks strange, is that what unyielding spirit is to you?

thanks. will kiv that. the "awful muddy grey streaking down the centre of her face" was the result of a vignette. and with regards to the question of what an unyielding spirit is to me, to each his own. :)

Last edited:
I really like the shot :) But maybe remove the burning on the middle of her face? Other than that, the expression on her face is really nice, and that feeling of shyness is immediately picked up on first look. Great work!

thanks. :)

hahaha the grey streak is probably his over vigenetting during LR2

to me, vignette on the face is not reli suitable here...looks abit like her nose was burnt...pardon me on this...guess if it's nice shadow tat creates the mood then it's ok...

to me, vignette on the face is not reli suitable here...looks abit like her nose was burnt...pardon me on this...guess if it's nice shadow tat creates the mood then it's ok...

hmm. i was trying to make the eye stand out a little, but are there other ways of doing that without vignetting? maybe, in photoshop selecting everything else but the eye and masking it with another layer? :think:

I am tinking, for this shot, the ways to bring out the eye more is probably not to hv the burnt on the nose + probably another shot with the model not showing teeth... I feel the white teeth competes for attention here...more attention to the eyes-probably can check the reflection in the eye...see if u could any interesting reflection rather than eyelashes... otherwise, most probably you might wana explore other perspective to see what works...

Juz my opinion, maybe u might nt wana present ur photos like I thot you want to...:)

1. We have to agree on the subtlety, the headwear being black in colour adds form and creates a unique composition.

2. Vignetting works visually when the focal of the photo is at the center; the photo at question features extreme contrasts on either sides of the photo, vignetting is therefore rendered redundant - there are no center focal point, and the vignette merely looks like an inner shadow (i.e., a photoshop layer style).

3. Post-processing should have included enhancing the highlights of the eye to convey your intended point. The eye, which is one of the more obvious focal point in the photo, appears too dull.

4. For a more authoritative comparison, we will prefer to see the original, untouched photo. Of course, we understand that intensive pp have been done, nonetheless, without the original, it is hard to infer whether the pp is successful or not.

In these half faced portraits naturally we will look at the eye as focus 1st, then move on from there. I find the skin texture abit rough and scary... if its what you want to achieve then its cool (i did it here to accentuate the blood shot eye - http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213880@N00/4353743630/in/set-72157622583371768/ ). But otherwise if its to show elegance outside + inner strength then i'd smoothen out the skin... make the eye bag abit less dark you know? she looks kinda tired here. I think the vignette is fine, because if we remove the vignette the nose will be bright and shiny and distracts from the eye. ;)