I am thinking of upgrading from LX-3

royden

Jun 8, 2010
Hi,

I am a LX-3 user, initially bought it for my nepal trip, easy to use and size is good esp when I'm on a trekking trip. It really served me well for my trip. But now I'm thinking of getting a better camera for the main purpose of taking landscape photos during my travel. I backpack quite a lot, so I don't really like the bulkiness of the Dslr + lenses during travelling and hence, considering the smaller ones like m43.

So far I am considering Ep2, mainly because of its look and better quality over lx3 but my concern is: is the price difference in the ep2 and lx3 really justify the difference in the quality of the image captured? Any opinion on this? do you recommend me to upgrade or stick with my lx3.

I know there are other cameras out there along the same league like gf1, sony nex5 n samsung nx100 but i preferred ep2's retro look over them =x,

Thanks

Hi,

I am a LX-3 user, initially bought it for my nepal trip, easy to use and size is good esp when I'm on a trekking trip. It really served me well for my trip. But now I'm thinking of getting a better camera for the main purpose of taking landscape photos during my travel. I backpack quite a lot, so I don't really like the bulkiness of the Dslr + lenses during travelling and hence, considering the smaller ones like m43.

So far I am considering Ep2, mainly because of its look and better quality over lx3 but my concern is: is the price difference in the ep2 and lx3 really justify the difference in the quality of the image captured? Any opinion on this? do you recommend me to upgrade or stick with my lx3.

I know there are other cameras out there along the same league like gf1, sony nex5 n samsung nx100 but i preferred ep2's retro look over them =x,

Thanks

Whatever they can do, the LX series still uses a small sensor (albeit a slightly larger one than the standard PnS). It cannot match a mirrorless camera under the same conditions as the latter's sensors are much bigger and more sensitive. If you want easy to use, feature packed and can afford a little bigger size than the LX3, then I suggest you choose one of the following :

1. GF1 (Not GH1 or G2 because then you'll do better getting the Pentax Kr at a cheaper price if you wanted a DSLR body). The GF1 looked cool when it was launched but its already behind the curve and looked bulky compared with the new offerings. I suspect it will be replaced soon with a product that will compete with the Sony NEX as well as the coming Nikon EVIL system)
2. EPL1 (Not the EP2 because the EPL1 have more features, smaller and better value for money. But it looks ugly though compared with the cooler EP2.)
3. Sony NEX3 (the NEX5 is similarly good but the NEX3 offer better bang for buck. You get a plastic casing like all other cameras instead of magnesium but who cares?)
4. Samsung NX100 (not the older NX10). No experience with this one but the model I saw at the shop indicated its size is quite big. On par with the GF1.

Sony and Samsung uses the larger APS-C sensors so already they have IQ and noise advantage.
Sony's sensor is legendary for low noise performance, so if low light is your requirement, get the Sony.

When I set out to buy a replacement for my PnS, I considered the GF1, EPL1 but then the Sony NEX came along and it offered best bang for buck in the smallest body amongst the 4 cameras above. I chose the NEX5. If I had to choose again right now it would be the NEX3. But the fujifilm X100 is very tempting..;p

If you think the LX3 is still good and prefer a smaller form factor, probably the LX5 would be a better choice for you.
cheers

Let Look lens maker for all new Mirrorless system.

Which lens maker u prefer?

Samsung NX - Schneider Lens? I think it is Samsung Lens... If it is Samsung Lens, then it out!
Sony NEX series - Carl Zeiss Lens? I think it is Sony Lens... As good as Carl Zeiss? I dun noe.
Panasonic m4/3 - Leica Lens? I think they are using Lumix lens... I prefer Leica lens, just like LX3.
Olympus m4/3 - Zuiko Lens? Yes it is still the well-known Zuiko lens!

I may be wrong on the infor about above. Pls correct me if I am wrong as I dun usually keep track on Mirrorless system.

Let Look lens maker for all new Mirrorless system.

Which lens maker u prefer?

At the end we still prefer the end result, rite?
I dun care it's Samyang, Canon, or Kodak, as long as they produce great result...

Just becuz of end result, that why I mention abt Lens Maker.

If end result doesnt matter, then any lens maker will do.

sorry! I have little knowledge on lens makers!

anyway, thanks airconvent for your input. I shall reconsider my priorities n see whats best for me :)