I am thinking of jumping from nikon to canon

jonne

May 21, 2008
I have friends who left nikon to join canon due to better pixels and fair value prices by canon compare to nikon.

Before I jump, wld like canon user to share their expereinces.

many thanks!

I hope my thread doe not cause bad blood to any one else.

I wld be happy to know your expereinces.

thanks!!:D

I have friends who left nikon to join canon due to better pixels and fair value prices by canon compare to nikon.

Better pixels:

[1] Not true across the board, arguably in some areas Nikon is better than Canon while in some areas Canon is better than Nikon.

[2] This will also no doubt change from camera generation to generation.

[3] If Canon in your segment offers better pixels then great, but also ask yourself if you personally need the better quality.

Fair value prices

[1] Again, not true across the board. In some areas Nikon is better than Canon while in some areas Canon is better than Nikon. Take the new 70-200/2.8 zooms from each manufacturer for example.

[2] Again, this could possibly change from generation to generation, type of lens to type of lens. Of course the gap between generations is far higher.

[3] Were you planning on changing cameras/upgrading anyway? Otherwise any potential savings will be far negated by the cost in changing systems. If you're not planning on upgrading now, you might want to at least wait till you're planning a change/upgrade.

Arguably, perhaps a better tool to jump system for are push factors rather than pull factors (and with the factors you've mentioned, I think it's debatable as well). Ie for example if your current system doesn't give you something you need, or performs terribly in a certain area. Usually this change will be a result of a definite need, and more likely to be fulfilling.

How long have you been using your nikon system and what is your setup now?

Although I'm a Canon user but usually, it is not recommended to switch systems if you already have a pretty good setup of the current nikon system. Unless you can really find a few valid reasons to persuade yourself for the switch. Switching systems is a very costly move most of the time. Changing bodies which prices usually depreciate very quickly, selling away your current lens / speedlites / accessories also lose value and time consuming. Lastly is the time needed to learn the new system which you may or may not like the new interface and handling.

I have a frd who falls into the same dilemma as you few months ago. He's using his trusty nikon system (D80 & several lenses + 2 x SB600) and was contemplating to switch to either canon or pentax till he studied the time and cost which he needs to spend. End of the day, the pros don't justify the cons for the switch so he chose to go with a D300 which he is loving till date.

Like Jed said, do yourself and your piggy bank a favour and evaluate again if the switch is a must. Don't just follow blindly because your friends feel and say so. Ultimately, you are the one spending the time and money, as well as the person behind that camera.

My 2 cents. ;)

Last edited:
Oh yeah it will.. it will ... this is SPARTA. I am using olympus :bsmilie:

LOL this is madness!!!:bsmilie: Anyway t/s its better for you not to "jump ship" first. I hope you do not intent to do so just because a friend said canon is better than nikon. What if he suddenly say some alien brand is better then any of the well know brands here? Will you switch to that system too? With your current gear, do you see any weakness with it? I use an Olympus and whenever i stand around other photographers who are holding other leading major brands, they always look at me like i owe them money, but i don't care as i am happy with the output that my camera produce. Do not switch simply because its cool to own a particular brand because a lot of people are using it. :)

many thanks!

Canonism is a way of life.

Make sure you are single-minded enough to embrace the religion despite the temptations of Sexy Pentax, alluring Olympus or bewitching Panasonic.

Once you go up to Canon Temple in high mountains among the lone pines to be blessed as a Canonian, what is below you is a deep valley of dead camera bodies.

I wish you luck and may the white force be with you. :)

Last edited:
Don't worry.
Do it.
I like Canon + Nikon + many others.
This is only a tool.
Try it out.
Don't be afraid to change brands.
It is not a momentous decision.
This decision is painless.
There are no serious consequences.
It is not as though once you made your move, you have burnt bridges and you cannot go back later.
If you find that you don't like the change, it is so easy to change back or even on to another brand that you may fancy later.
If you don't try the other brand, 30 years later you would still be wondering...is it OK to change brands.
Don't think so much.
Act on it.
Now.
Life is short.

There is no fatal error.
Quite unlike a decision as to whether one should step out in front of a speeding concrete mixer truck.

many thanks!

Switched sometime back from C to N. Pls do let us know what Nikon lenses you will be selling :)

-- marios

There is no better system really.

It's a matter of getting used to your system, understanding the advantages and short-comings, then master the advantages and try to overcome the shortfall.

I have many friends who tells me that they are so used to their system, that they do it intuitively without having to look at the dials.

Fair pricing wise, you will find some things that are more cost-value in one brand that the other and vice-versa.

In other words, keep to your system and find out how to maximize every single cent you spent on it
:):cool::)

Sometimes the grass is always greener on the other side. If money not really the issue...then do it.

Nike_JustConsider.gif

wa, white pixel on canon is better than white pixel on nikon.....

i think your friends are all very boh liao, in the end the fair value price difference as a result of their BBB, SSS, all gone. it is just the gear whore in them being given in to.

jonne, can you go to pentax for a while first, then i will tell you that every single other pixel out there is nicer, value also better.. then you jump all over the place, i don't care, just give me your gear. thank you in advance :angel:

many thanks!

Don't worry about the brand.

Lay your hands on the biggest camera you can find.

831372629_792c4cd11f.jpg

May I ask why jump from Nikon to Canon and not to Olympus or Sony?

Jump lah, Nikon sucks

So does Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc.

Ask them to justify instead of making some generic statements. No camera manufacturer is on top all the time, are you going to switch whenever the pole position changes? :D

Jump lah, Nikon sucks

So does Canon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc.

Ask them to justify instead of making some generic statements. No camera manufacturer is on top all the time, are you going to switch whenever the pole position changes? :D

I think get Leica better. :lovegrin:

Isn't that Nikon also not bad? Built wise, ergonomics wise, sharpness, button layout, flash system (CLS) all not bad. Furthermore it's a different system. If given a choice, I much prefer Nikon even though I am a Canon user. Viewfinder wise (clearer and 100%) and the grid are good for specs users. Also for Canon, the some settings need to go through several layers before you can change the setting. There are always pros and cons. Better weigh before switching.

Given the choice, I would jump to Nikon for the following:
i) Ergonomics
ii) Button layout (more accessible)
iii) CLS (flash system) and wireless flash without accessory.
iv) sharper and more vivid colour( can ps, but wish to save the trouble, personal preference)
v) Viewfinder clearer and 100% and friendly for users wearing specs
vi) Grid screen can be activated on camera without add-on.

However, some drawbacks:
i) marketing, always slower (announced but no stocks)
ii) not so many lenses (new lenses, although old lens can be used, backward capability)
iii) slightly cooler color compare to Canon (Canon warmer and nice for potrait and wedding. Nikon more on landscape. Sometime the other way round, but ain't neccessary)

Personal point of view, no bias.