I am new to canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETboy

Aug 11, 2004
Hi guys just want a piece of advice from all of you here. I intend to upgrade myself from a prosumer to DSLR and i find that the 400D will be a good choice for my tight budget. Hold and test the camera before and would love to get one. Apart from the camera i want to ask you guys on what i should get to start it out. I'll be going on a tour for about a week to taiwan soon. Any walk about lens to recommend? Should i just stick with the kit lens? or get the body and get a better lens ?

stick with kit lens! haha. anyway, the kit lens is not bad. 18-55mm. but..... not good for macro.

I would say keep ur kit lens as it gives quite a gd range of wide angle. Buy a circular polariser if you are intend on taking pictures of nice scenery/ lanscapes. If possible get urself a zoom lens or get a 85mm f1.8... The zoom lens is for places hard to reach, eg. 70-300mm f4-5.6 (a 2nd hand one would do) and the 85mm F1.8 is for places whereby flashes are not allowed. In all should add up to ard slightly more than $2K... As u had not stated ur budget...

well my budget will be 2K slightly more is ok...

If on a budget, keep the kit lens. Good value for money. Very good at f8.0. f16/f22 no good. Wide open no good too. Thus its a good lens only for landscape where a wide dof is desired. At 18mm (i.e. 28mm on FF) its wide enough for most landscape shots. L-lens users will tell you its colour/contrast is terrible. But if you can manage yr WB or shoot in raw, colour/contrast can be tweaked to yr liking. Afterall, colour/contrast appeals differently to different ppl. Its yr satisfaction that counts.

check out the weight limit... see how much it can hold... for the 75-300 lens i think it weighs abt 800grams... cannot reali remember...

check out the weight limit... see how much it can hold... for the 75-300 lens i think it weighs abt 800grams... cannot reali remember...

Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0L USM AF
and the 75-300 u mention which 1 is much better?

i've read a lot in CS abt the 70-200 which seems like its a good piece of lens

haha had i have the money for Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0L USM AF I would had bought it. Who would not want to own a L lens? However if i were u... i would not spend money on the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0L USM AF but spend it on the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM... It would be more versatile for me. And the 75-300 works fine for me. PM me ur e-mail add i show u some pics taken by it.

haha had i have the money for Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0L USM AF I would had bought it. Who would not want to own a L lens? However if i were u... i would not spend money on the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0L USM AF but spend it on the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM... It would be more versatile for me. And the 75-300 works fine for me. PM me ur e-mail add i show u some pics taken by it.

thanks PMed :)

Not sure if one should go straight for good n expensive lens right away..

To me, I've got 400D with kit lens at first and after a week, I got Sigma 70-300mm.. However, I've spent almost 1.8k on everything.. you may wanna consider getting accessories below before investing more on lens ( lenses can always come later :) )

- extra CF card(s)
- extra Batter(ies)
- battery grip
- filters, protectors & cleaning kit
- dry cabinet or air-tight container
- good tripod (for me I wouldnt want to change this in future, unless broken..)

=) just sharing what I have in mind... cheers!

ahh, and enjoy your camera, and trip!!

Not sure if one should go straight for good n expensive lens right away..

To me, I've got 400D with kit lens at first and after a week, I got Sigma 70-300mm.. However, I've spent almost 1.8k on everything.. you may wanna consider getting accessories below before investing more on lens ( lenses can always come later :) )

- extra CF card(s)
- extra Batter(ies)
- battery grip
- filters, protectors & cleaning kit
- dry cabinet or air-tight container
- good tripod (for me I wouldnt want to change this in future, unless broken..)

=) just sharing what I have in mind... cheers!

ahh, and enjoy your camera, and trip!!

Good, sound advice. Someone here is thinking real straight. :)

I'd say that a decent dry cabinet and a good tripod are musts.

The dry cabinet will keep your stuff dry (duh!) after the initial craze over your camera goes, and you don't bring your cam everywhere. Heh. Of course, a powered dry-cabinet will be a better choice as you won't have to constantly replace silica gel.

Secondly, a tripod is another buy that will stay around for some time. Getting a good, sturdy tripod is important, as the legs (and possibly head) can actually be around longer than your camera model. Getting a really sturdy tripod can mean the legs will stay with you even if you upgrade lenses and camera bodies.

Stick with a kit lens first. After a while, and understanding your own shooting needs, you will kind of know what other lens to buy.

Stick with the kit lens as mentioned by the rest.

Zoom wise - look around B&S for a Sigma 70-300 over the canon. Its been tested and proven it performs better than the canon counterpart.

Hi guys just want a piece of advice from all of you here. I intend to upgrade myself from a prosumer to DSLR and i find that the 400D will be a good choice for my tight budget. Hold and test the camera before and would love to get one. Apart from the camera i want to ask you guys on what i should get to start it out. I'll be going on a tour for about a week to taiwan soon. Any walk about lens to recommend? Should i just stick with the kit lens? or get the body and get a better lens ?

my 2cents

once you get your stuff, play around with your lens and camera settings to prepare for your trip (wouldn't want to miss those precious moments figuring out how to take those shots right :) )

thanks guys I think i might just stick with the kit lens and prepare for my trip and mybe get the battery grip. will need a lot of guid from you guys later :sweat:

Good, sound advice. Someone here is thinking real straight. :)

I'd say that a decent dry cabinet and a good tripod are musts.

The dry cabinet will keep your stuff dry (duh!) after the initial craze over your camera goes, and you don't bring your cam everywhere. Heh. Of course, a powered dry-cabinet will be a better choice as you won't have to constantly replace silica gel.

Secondly, a tripod is another buy that will stay around for some time. Getting a good, sturdy tripod is important, as the legs (and possibly head) can actually be around longer than your camera model. Getting a really sturdy tripod can mean the legs will stay with you even if you upgrade lenses and camera bodies.

Any dry cabinet to recommend? I saw one at cathay few week back selling at $98 ? wonder is it a decent 1? Didn't take a closer look at it as i was in a hurry... :sweatsm:

IMO dun get the kit lense, get the body itself then buy the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.......plus add another 130+- for the 50mm f/1.8 you can also get the sig 70-300mm APO macro if u need to shoot dist object. the cost may be ard $2.4K. take 2nd hand if you dun mind and want to reduce ur cost for ur tour.........

Status
Not open for further replies.