I am getting a Digicam , thus need advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChaoZ

Hi,

Firstly, glad to see the members of this forum more friendly than the previous one I was at. At least, no flaming witnessed here yet.

Secondly, same old question - which digital camers do u think is worth buying?
I myself has targetted quite a few cameras like:-

Fijifilm 2800Z - Very nice photos gather from review websites, vibrant and ez to use with excellent zoom. Movie mode with sound(AVI) BUT uses AA batts, fixed ISO, and SM if i remember correctly. Approx SGD 700

Nikon 995 - Used it b4, nice camera with very good ergonomical gripping and superb features. But the colours are not that nice compared to the top model(canon g2). Movie with no sound. But then CF2 with lithium batts. Add. batts cost only about 60 - 70 bucks. Approx. SGD 1100 w/ free 64mb CF

Canon G2 - the flagship model which stolen my heart away from Nikon 995. Darned nice colours, shaprness, contrast, everything! But the grip is a bit small for its weight, with no additional stuff(cf etc), batt cost 130 for one!!! *fainted*
Approx. 1300 with no free accessories. Movie with Sound!!! 8)

Nikon 5000 - the dream model which I like(nikon biased), 5 mill pixels... *drool* lotsa functions with attachable flash. Approx SGD 1600.

I am thinking of using this camera for my studies to Aussie, thus wondering if I should get a top model like G2 to last me through the few years if able to. But on the other hand, should I get such a good camera or save a bit of cash for myself?

Which one do u all recommend? 2800Z seems sufficient for myself but i hate AA size batt, too heavy. G2 seems very good, but a little overkill for me. 995 is not that worth with canon's pricing so close, but I really like its macro shot, excellent!

Or how about the CP5000... latest with revised CCD algorithms... 8)~

Should i go for SM or CF/CF2? SM always looked like biscuit to me, fragile while CF seems better.

Anyone selling any of the above model? Might consider if the price is right?

thanks!

Hi Chaoz,

I can't comment about the rest of the DCs but I can probably help you with the G2 since I own one. :)

The G2 comes with a 32MB CF and a battery. However 32MB is really not enough if you are using Fine/Large or raw pics, so a larger CF like 128MB or 256MB is recommended. I am using a RiData 256MB CF and I heard its recent price is around $200 or less. A spare battery is also a must, and you can get 3rd party one at $40-45, and they perform as good. The brands are Gigapower and Megapower. Both the battery and the CF can be bought from SLS.

And yes, the G2 can produce a very nice and vibrant color like you mentioned, and that was what I like too. It's noise reduction algorithm is also good.

And for SM vs CF, personally I prefer CF over SM due to CF's popularity (and hence cheaper price) and expandability.

I think it might be helpful if you list out and prioritize the "musts" and "wants" that you desire, and then make a matrice of those features of each DCs. It will help you in deciding which DC is more suitable for you.

Hope that helps ;)

Since you like the CP5000 so much, suggest you get it. It's better than buying something cheaper and then regretting it later.

Now I am weighing out the difference between the various models.... I donno if that kind of price can fit into my budget... Buy the CP 5000 and starve for 3 months in aussie 8P, eating on bits/bytes rather than maggimee/bread. 8PPP

Anyway, really nice of ziploc to update me on the G2, the very same feelings i have. But one bad point, it cannot take decent marco shot, rather limited. But then... who cares! 8P

thanks!

g2's macro ok, i think....ziploc, you had a few posts on macro, rite?? all you have to do is buy a +4 filter...and wif a tripod *to avoid blurriness of photo*, everything will turn out right...;)

Originally posted by ChaoZ
Anyway, really nice of ziploc to update me on the G2, the very same feelings i have. But one bad point, it cannot take decent marco shot, rather limited. But then... who cares! 8P
On the contrary, I've seen great macro shots taken using G1/G2. Take a look at Kleptography.com and you'll see.

One thing I really don't like about G2 (which I realized yet again after visiting JBP today) is the limited 3x Optical Zoom. If only it's got 10x then it'd be surely great.

Most close up filters are of inferior quality. Watch what you buy.

Only limiting thing about the G2 is the limited zoom. Otherwise, it's a good camera to have and offers sufficient controls and flexibility.

Originally posted by Pinoy
Hmmm.. how about Megaweb's Canon Pro90 IS? 10x zoom @ 3Megapixel (2.6 real)?

Saw one set posted today at Yahoo Singapore classified. Selling brand new at S$900. Seller claims it's in box unopened!

Originally posted by LifeWorld
Saw one set posted today at Yahoo Singapore classified. Selling brand new at S$900. Seller claims it's in box unopened!
Wah. Serious ah?

There might be a reserve price or it might be a fake one. Some of the auctioneers require you to wire transfer the money over first (to overseas). I ever met one who claimed to be from the US but is currently studying in Romania :p

if it is so cheap i believe the prices will be jacked up real bad later on :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.