I am a newbie + noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All! I just got my D5000 + 15-55mm + 55-200mm 2 days ago. Trying to learn photography. Questions: How do you decide on what aperture to use with what speed for Portrait under normal daylight? Do you use 'A' setting most of the time for Portrait or choose 'Portrait' setting instead on the dial? Also, what would you recommend for a cool and nice small camera bag? Something along the line of Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW? Thanks!

PS: What do I do with my old Nikon FM2??

Last edited:
Hi All! I just got my D5000 + 15-55mm + 55-200mm 2 days ago. Trying to learn photography. Questions: How do you decide on what aperture to use with what speed for Portrait under normal daylight? Do you use 'A' setting most of the time for Portrait or choose 'Portrait' setting instead on the dial? Also, what would you recommend for a cool and nice small camera bag? Something along the line of Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW? Thanks!

You can use manual mode if you want to control both the shutter speed and aperture. In Aperture priority, you use the front dial to adjust the aperture. You can also use the preset mode.

What do you want to do with your Nikon FM2? :bsmilie:

hi there..

wat u usually do is u take a photo using auto or program 1st. den aft tat, u switch to manual mode n follow the settings. and then u can play ard wif the numbers to get the desired effects.

just keep it. :)

I don't know why, but I feel that newbies like us should start with something more challenging and get used to it.. and not use Auto mode and it can be addicting... Then we won't be able to stop using that. I would stay away from the preset modes and use PASM. IMO.

if you are asking about what aperture and what shutter speed, then let me ask, what is the ISO you intend for?

do you know the relation between ISO and shutter speed and aperture?

what is the effect you want?

There is nothing wrong with using the portrait mode if you are still learning. The A mode. Do you understand what does the A mode do? Do you know what you can control using the A mode and what you cannot control?

Normal daylight referring a shaded area? Open area? Time?

These are the things you need to consider when taking outdoors. The balance of the light is important. If you cannot balance the light, then you can be sure the pictures will come out either over or under.

Hi All! I just got my D5000 + 15-55mm + 55-200mm 2 days ago. Trying to learn photography. ....

Well hello, eltonteo. A very warm welcome to you.

I don't know why, but I feel that newbies like us should start with something more challenging and get used to it.. and not use Auto mode and it can be addicting... Then we won't be able to stop using that. I would stay away from the preset modes and use PASM. IMO.

And yes, I agree with tehzeh. Play around. Play around.
With a little bit of reading up and handling, most newbies will get the hang of it in a short period of time.
After that... well, if you like, can always go for some photography courses or read up more on your own.

IMO, theres no point shooting in the preset modes with a dSLR. i believe most pple get a dSLR is because they wan to learn photography.

Understanding the relation between aperture, shutter, ISO. (Exposure triangle) etc

i suggest googling on these photography terms. briefly know what they are and probably that will slowly lead you into playing around with the settings in your camera.

stuff to take note, depth of field(aperture), exposure compensation(EV), noise(ISO). also read your user manual. there are tons of information in it. its helpful.

when i first started, i learn everything through internet and books. i have no friends to consult. :bsmilie:

Dude;

Check www.kenrockwell.com

Very simple and understandable explanation. Don't forget to master your camera and keep on shooting.

"A" mode definitely. Because I do not like the fact the camera is deciding the aperture for me. I like to control that myself so as to control DoF.

As for bags, everyone has different taste. I suggest you go down to Cathay photo and check out their entire line of bags.

Oh gosh....I plunged into M mode straight and haven't even play with A and S for long time!

Oh gosh....I plunged into M mode straight and haven't even play with A and S for long time!

Hey no problem with that, ttyh1812. Like what daredevil123 has said, you can also play with A (aperture priority) mode. But if you have been on Manual all the way, then you are very good too because that would have trained you to be on your feet and on your eyes.
No hard and fast rules, though.
Many experienced photographers also use A, S modes and each have their preference.

Besides reading on your own; you can attend a basic digital photography course.
Can join those in the CC if you on tight budget.

I am still learning but this is what I have done.

Play with the different manual modes like aperture, shutter speed (and ISO if your camera has those features) one at a time. Change from one end to the other end to see the effects (on same object). Need to observe the environment lighting conditions together with the analysis of the pictures taken.

Save the pics in a PC and then put it up is a file side by side comparing the conditions and results. Much easier to pick up the differences and also faster.

This is then followed for full manual (deciding what combinations of aperture and shutter speed to use for the intended target object).

PS. When using full manual mode, can also a full auto picture immediately after the full
manual. Again compare the settings and the results.Try to understand why the
difference. Each time set a target that your setting to be the same as the auto
setting.

After that you can do the fine tuning features to whatever you desire (want it sharper,
more contrasts, hue etc...)

What I have learnt from the seniors here, bags is a very personal thing just like dresses for ladies. Suggest to go thru the bags section in this forum - look at the pics and the prices, comments and recommendations before going to the shops and have a good feel yourself.
You need to decide how many things you want to put into the bag ie.
camera body, + how many lens + flash + batteries, memory cards and for some even a tripod. If you can afford you can buy different bags for different combinations.

Also do you want people to know or do not want people to know you are carrying a camera?
This can also affect the choice of bag.

Sometimes you want to have a very quick shot. The PNS(assume FM2 is) comes in very handy. Also there may be certain situation a bigger camera(dslr) is not very appropriate.
It's all up to you.

If you really find no use of it you can sell it off thru buy and sell here or to some second hand camera shops. There are also people who give up the dslr after a while.

Hope it helps and enjoy your new camera.

Using M mode doesn't make you an expert
Using Av, Tv, P doesn't make you a noob either

I also have the same camera combo. I learned by reading the manual, experimentation and trying to copy the shots that I like. If I can't do it, I ask people how they do it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

For bags you can also try K-13 at peninsula plaza 2nd floor.. they have a wide range of Tamrac bags .... otherwise you might want to check out the mass sales thread for cheaper alternatives like Winer bags from china ... I've got a Tamrac velocity 8X and a T-09 bag pack from Winer ... :)

Thanks for all the info guys! I know how to proceed from here now. :)

Don't think what I wrote below is BS....quite real hor....
You started with the kit lens now. So you go for a small bag.
Then you itchy itchy buy a zoom lens mths later. So you upsize a medium bag for the zoom lens.
Then you itchy itchy decided you need a flash mount for better face shot. Then you upsize a big bag for all the items.
Alternatively you realized you need additional pocket to carry a bottle of mineral water....
Then you realize it's all too heavy....then you went back to small bag. By then the small bag is either lost or worn out...so you buy a new one.....(repeat again)

---------- faint --------------

Welcome to CS :) Pls read the manual that comes with your new camera. All your question you asked are answered inside except for the bag. Learn it step by step & don't rush through. Go shoot, learn from mistakes & understand what went wrong & improve from there. Start from basic & move on. Then go do some further reading to have a better understanding in DSLR photography. Walk & keep on walking, don't fly yet ;)

Using M mode doesn't make you an expert
Using Av, Tv, P doesn't make you a noob either

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

i read in some photography magazine and one of the pros in landscape photography commented that he shoots in P mode 95% of the time. Reason? he prefers spending more time in better composition. modern cameras can handle the metering pretty well. if need be, there is still photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.