I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynezlmy

Oct 16, 2008
Hi
I just got a second hand DSLR. The previous owner did not use a dry cabinet but he did put a packet of silica gel inside. Must I get a dry cabinet or just go to Daiso to get a few more packets of silica gel?

dry cabinets arent too expensive.. u can even get second hand ones from the B&S section here. its a good investment to keep your equipment in good condition :)

dry cabinet for what. its 100 bucks plus for one 36L sized one. so ex.

just send your camera for cleaning if really kanna fungus lor. each cleaning about 150 plus plus plus only, for 1 lens. body not included i think @ official service centers.

so waste money on cabinets for what...

Huh...will kenna fungus ah?
If I change lens often then will is it?

actually if you use your camera in the day and keep it in an air-conditioned (low humidity) room at night
fungus should not be a problem

the problem is the humidity level, with high humidity fungus will grow

Ok thanks alot!

if you're gonna invest lots in your lenses, and you know you're gonna stick with them in the long run, then get a dry cabi to at least ensure your equip is well maintained ... not a must but recommended

ok thanks:D

I treat my dry cabinet as a cupboard to store all my photographic equipment all in one place for convenience.

The prevention of fungus is a bonus to me.

I treat my dry cabinet as a cupboard to store all my photographic equipment all in one place for convenience.

The prevention of fungus is a bonus to me.

Me too... one equipment storage

Overall, after some buying and selling and learning this hobby... I feel you need to identify the amount of lens you gonna get for your inventory. If you are sticking with your Kit lens, meaning only one complete set, then you do not need, like Bro Ortega said. Juz ensure you dun put it at places with high humidity, like near toilet / bathroom entrance etc. Keep in drawer with a pack of Hippo, and every 1 or 2 days, juz at least take out to snap one or 2 photos should be fine.

If you are increasing your inventory to 2-3 more lens, like Zoom / Macro/Prime lens and some small collection of filter, then getting a Dry Cabinet is more appropriate to keep everything in one place like Lord Soth mentioned.

I started off last year with a Dry box (free from Shop) then I got some new lens and filters as I slowly learned my needs. I did a couple of Buy and sell and experience and concluded i needed the Dry Cabinet. So I have one now. Looking at my inventory, the 36L is juz nice for my collection which will stop any new members currently =)

Dry cabinet is not only for photograpphy equipments... u can store important document, cds, dvds, tapes and even tea leaves inside.. For ppl who value their equipments and stuffs i think it is a must.. Too bad we are in a hot tropical and extreme humid country and not some cold dry countries and dun underestimate fungus.. u can clean it off but the damage to the lens coating is unrepairable.

it's not a compulsory... when i initially got my DSLR... i use those air tight plastic container and put silica gel sachet in them...

but i convert to dry cabinet late last yr, and looking to get a 2nd one / bigger replacement by mid year ;p

Best is to store keropok. Will not "lau hong".

I store my camera body, 5 lens, accessories, warranty cards and even my computer hard disks inside my dry cabinet.

Seriously, you've already invested so much on DSLR and Lenses.... What is another $100+ to you to ensure that your stuffs are well maintain.

I agree on the above replies unless you have quite small amount of equipment (a camera, 2-3 lenses and few filters) you can actually use a decent good quality air-tight container with amount of silica gels to put in it and stored in a cupboard, an additional you can also add another silica gel into your cupboard as well for double protection. :)

dry cabinet for what. its 100 bucks plus for one 36L sized one. so ex.

just send your camera for cleaning if really kanna fungus lor. each cleaning about 150 plus plus plus only, for 1 lens. body not included i think @ official service centers.

so waste money on cabinets for what...
if TS adds more glass (say 3) to his arsenal in the future, then that's $150 plus plus plus x 3. as compared to a one time $100 investment, i don't see how it's not worth?

i agree with Whitelion btw. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.