I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if u want to save the trouble of heating up ur silica gel to remove the water from it, i rather you would go for a dry cabinet. and u will have more and more lens for ur dlsr. like me currently i got about 5 lens and some filters and 2 other cams. so i have a dry cabinet to keep all of them in one place and it aso can prevent fungus.. so why not?

I guess it is an optional choice. If you start small then use an air tight box with gel. I just bought a dry cabinet so that I can also keep my video cam inside.

does the fungus attack the cam body too?

hey, anyone can advice on how much a dry cabinet cost? or better still cough out a link for online price.

thanks in advance!

I just bought mine at Parisilk (Holland V) for $105.93 for Digi-cabi DB036...

Btw, do anyone know how much extra do we have to pay for using the electrical dry-cabinet every month? (as in electrical bill)

Some frenz were telling me that it cheaper to use Dry-box instead..
:dunno:

WilsonTeo, please refer to page 2 of this thread. Your question has already been posed and answered.

Hi Wilson,

Just to share, I have a dry cabinet for the past 10 years and it has served me well without any maintanence. I did use some silica gel for a while but found the dry cabinet much more efficient.

Hope this helps.

oh...your question has been answered

Last edited:
Hi all, am new in this hobby also & am thinking of getting one for my 450D also... Like to ask if there's any particular brand/model/ shop to get it at reasonable & good prices? Am also sourcing out in the Buy/Sell section in CS for one if price/ location is right... Btw, is there any settings that we need to set for the dry cab (or it's already preset when we buy it??) [Sorry, but am a real noob here....]

Many thanks in advance for viewing.

WilsonTeo, please refer to page 2 of this thread. Your question has already been posed and answered.

Hi MelbourneGuy, my question was the electrical bill that might incurred due to the usage of electrical dry cabinet.. I know the power consumption is about 5W.. But can you help relate it to cost?

I guess most ppl is worry bout the after cost which is the electrical bill instead of the start-up cost... =)

Here my calculation: (Correct me if i am wrong)

Power Consumption: 5W
Monthly Power Consumption: 5W * 24hrs * 31 days = 3720W
Current Electrical Tariff: 19.29 c/KWhr

http://www.singaporepower.com.sg/publish/PR/Files/Approve/PR6_3429.html

so monthly electrical bill incurred : 3.720 * 19.29c = 71.7588c :eek:

Tat is lesser than 1 dollar which i think i might be wrong in the calculation...

???

I think a calculation of how many dollars and cents 5 watts is going to cost you is a bit beyond our abilities and depends on your electricity provider.

A computer takes about 300 watts. Your dry cabinet will consume 5 watts. Why don't you just look at the ratio...it's negligible.

I think if u dont use ur camera everyday, a dry box is enough, rather than buying a more expensive dry cabinet.. :)

I dont think the dry cabinet will be on every time.
It will stop when it reach the limit u set.
So the power consumption and cost of the electrical bill should be lower....

http://www.singaporepower.com.sg/publish/PR/Files/Approve/PR6_3429.html[/URL]

so monthly electrical bill incurred : 3.720 * 19.29c = 71.7588c :eek:

Tat is lesser than 1 dollar which i think i might be wrong in the calculation...

???

Your calculation is abt there.

5W x 24 x 31 = 3720 W

Current rate is $0.1803/Kwh

0.1803 x 3.720 = $0.67

Good to say per mth is less than $1, for a peace of mind thats a good sum to pay though the intial start up maybe a little steep.

I myself just bought a DB036 for $99 w/o gst frm parisilk, happy with it.

Do you know where i should buy the air plastic and silica gel ? Thanks,

Do you know where i should buy the air plastic and silica gel ? Thanks,

you can buy it off from supermarket.. find the brand lock & lock which i think is the best air tight container but the price is a bit higher. silica gel can get it from some of the camera shops like those developing photos can check out with cathayphoto or john 3:16 cost less than $5 if im not wrong. if way too much then its a scam

dry cabinet for what. its 100 bucks plus for one 36L sized one. so ex.

just send your camera for cleaning if really kanna fungus lor. each cleaning about 150 plus plus plus only, for 1 lens. body not included i think @ official service centers.

so waste money on cabinets for what...

:rolleyes:

dry cabinet for what. its 100 bucks plus for one 36L sized one. so ex.

just send your camera for cleaning if really kanna fungus lor. each cleaning about 150 plus plus plus only, for 1 lens. body not included i think @ official service centers.

so waste money on cabinets for what...

:think::bsmilie:

Be safe, just get one.

It's a well worth investment to keep ur equipment safe from fungus.

Moreover, you never know when you will want more equipment ;).

im a newbie too.. got my first DSLR today, in fact, after quite a bit of research.. and after seeing the replies on my thread, i decided to immediately buy a dry cab (digicabi 30L one) for SGD120.. i too feel that its good to organize ur equipment (although i hardly have anything yet) in addition to protecting it

hi everyone i also intend to get one... where did you all buy the "Digicabi 30L" ?
i try searching at the gaint store(parkway branch) but dnt have.
gaint store(tampines)dunno have or not?
Court are sell one, not the same brand 26L @ $118

Status
Not open for further replies.