Hyperthreading

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
After turning this off in BIOS, my P4 is finally behaving like a P4. The coma-cum-fit behaviour of IE really pissed me off. I almost wanted to go open source.

U should get a Mac

or at least dump the IE for firefox

now my IE will kenna spyware automatically within few minutes

even i have use spybot + ad-aware to remove everything...and apply all the IE patches

Just use IE to check my hotmail also can kenna...

I use Maxthon, a browser that uses IE's browsing engine yet having all & more functions firefox can do.

I am in the process of upgrading from P3 to P4, from ME to XP, etc. Anything I need to watch out or be aware of?

Astin said:
I am in the process of upgrading from P3 to P4, from ME to XP, etc. Anything I need to watch out or be aware of?
Yes, get all the drivers, softwares and files you need before installing XP. During and after complete installing XP, do not connect to the internet, until you installed firewall & antivirus softwares. Then, update your XP from Microsoft.

Also, download XP service pack 1 before you do the install and use it to update your XP installation before connecting it to the net. An unpatched XP, open to the internet (without firewall etc) will get a bot within minutes.

maddog said:
After turning this off in BIOS, my P4 is finally behaving like a P4. The coma-cum-fit behaviour of IE really pissed me off. I almost wanted to go open source.

I don't use a P4 HT but isn't it supposed to be making multi-tasking faster? :dunno:

Anywayz, a service pack 1 isn't enough. Get the service pack 2. With service pack 1 and w/o the right patches you will still be in danger when connected to the net. If you still wanna make do with service pack 1, make sure you get the patches for the W32.Blaster worm and Sasser worm before going online.

By the way, if i'm not wrong you can still order the service pack 2 CD from Microsoft. It's free. But order it fast. I think it's gonna end soon. I personally have the Windows XP Security CD (Feburary 2004) and the Windows XP Service Pack 2. It really makes new installations and reformatting a breeze. Imagine having to download all the patchs from windowsupdate! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amekaze said:
I don't use a P4 HT but isn't it supposed to be making multi-tasking faster? :dunno:

Anywayz, a service pack 1 isn't enough. Get the service pack 2. With service pack 1 and w/o the right patches you will still be in danger when connected to the net. If you still wanna make do with service pack 1, make sure you get the patches for the W32.Blaster worm and Sasser worm before going online.

By the way, if i'm not wrong you can still order the service pack 2 CD from Microsoft. It's free. But order it fast. I think it's gonna end soon. I personally have the Windows XP Security CD (Feburary 2004) and the Windows XP Service Pack 2. It really makes new installations and reformatting a breeze. Imagine having to download all the patchs from windowsupdate! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Does hyperthreading double CPU speed or does it split it creating two logical CPUs operating at half the speed. I suppose more threads can run at the same time but at what speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.