Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1point7

Mar 27, 2005
this HYPE thingy is a public space to display public art.
art/illustration/PHOTOGRAPHY/film/animation etc..
if you see your photography as art, get it seen by the masses here..

www.hypegallery.com.sg

if you're in singapore, you can go down the artshouse and get it printed and displayed there too!

Hmmm neat, a good way to get your set of photos seen by the masses. And they only get to reproduce your work during the period of the exhibition to promote the gallery. Any extra usage will be negoiated separately. Seems reasonable to me.. :\ And you can get to sell your work too, 70% of it goes to you (you name your price btw) and the rest goes to a fund for underprivileged children and youth who have innate artistic gifts.

Ms Redha Abdul-Wahid was kind enough to respond to my enquries and she included a full set (three) of forms needed if you want to submit your work for the physical gallery. The form also includes the base cost of printing it (if you're selling your work). Quite informative. The files can be now found here:

www.two-am.org/hype.zip

Hmmm, print submissions are supposed to be 4320x2880 pixels in 72dpi. Even the 20D doesn't take in 4000+ res natively no? Only the 1Ds Mark 2 is able to tkae photos at 4000+ res. So how?

i wouldn't worry about that resolution problem. it's low res but at a big size.

f1point7 said:
i wouldn't worry about that resolution problem. it's low res but at a big size.
Printing at 72dpi at such a size will be result in very poor quality.... I suggest use at least 250dpi at 8*10 in...

n0d3 said:
Hmmm, print submissions are supposed to be 4320x2880 pixels in 72dpi. Even the 20D doesn't take in 4000+ res natively no? Only the 1Ds Mark 2 is able to tkae photos at 4000+ res. So how?

Actually dpi is just a guide. at 4320x2880, if you want to print in 8x10, you can go up to 360dpi (2880/8) so basic 300dpi is still achievable...

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused here. Haha. From what I can see on the website they're requesting that if you want to submit your photos for display on the gallery (they're printing it 60" by 40"), that it HAS to be 4320x2880 pixels at 72dpi.

So for my 300D, if I want to print it out at 60" by 40", I'll have to make the dpi to around 51? But won't that result in poor quality prints?

Was at the HYPE gallery yesterday -- the submission was very easy and the counter staff was very helpful with the admin. If you are not sure about the pics resolution, just bring down your laptop and they'll advise, or bring down the highest res you have on CD/Thumbdrive and they'll resample it. They don't have card readers, so don't use the CF card.

Here's a few shots of the gallery:

IMG_9427.JPG

IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9433.JPG

IMG_9434.JPG

Haha, I was there yesterday. I managed to resample mine before giving it to them. What time did you go? They put up my photo pretty quick, its in #2, bottom left.

The printers were HUGEEE. You mean photography is allowed in the Arts House eh?

Hi, was there at about 5pm yesterday. My still isn't up yet was there was a large submission yesterday.

Yes, they allowed me to shoot. Guess they wanted the publicity :)

Haha, you submitted the same photo as the one in your avatar no? I saw it on the site. Haha, probably will be going down one of these days to check it out in real life.

Wow. This all sounds interesting. Will have to go tomorrow myself with some photos. How many submissions can we make?

Maximum two. Then you'll have to pick one to showcase on the international gallery at hypegallery.com. The two will also be on the local site for sales though.

n0d3 said:
Haha, you submitted the same photo as the one in your avatar no? I saw it on the site. Haha, probably will be going down one of these days to check it out in real life.

Ya, did that. I hope it doesn't turn out too pixelated.

Haha... I'm prepping some images now and can see the confusion relating to the image size and dpi. :p

Btw, what time are they opened till?

ady said:
Haha... I'm prepping some images now and can see the confusion relating to the image size and dpi. :p

Btw, what time are they opened till?

Open till 8pm from now to 2 Aug, and 6pm on 3 Aug. Remember to bring either CD or Thumbdrive only.

Hey... thanks ykia. I'm going to be headed down now with my thumbdrive. :) Got three photos... I guess I'll decide which will be the final two when I'm there. The titling is a biotch though... LOL. Having to include the alphabets H, Y, P & E in that order... making my pics sound really obiang. *chuckle*

ady said:
Hey... thanks ykia. I'm going to be headed down now with my thumbdrive. :) Got three photos... I guess I'll decide which will be the final two when I'm there. The titling is a biotch though... LOL. Having to include the alphabets H, Y, P & E in that order... making my pics sound really obiang. *chuckle*

Know what you mean :bsmilie: Imagine we all had to talk that way...

Have Yourself a Pleasent Evening !

Status
Not open for further replies.