Humidity ratio in CA, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoky

Mar 17, 2004
Singapore
hoky.multiply.com
I'm going to CA, USA this coming March for a year. Coming back to SG on a half year basis.
Was wondering what's the RH like over there.

If the RH is low enough, I may skip a dry cabi / box over there.

coming from Singapore, you will find California very dry to extremely dry.

btw, where in California? It's a pretty big state. LA itself can accomodate a couple of Singapore.

no matter what the RH might be, is it worth saving that couple hundred dollars over your equipment which may cost a couple thousand or more?

I would use the option of a tupperware box( the air tight kind with a rubber seal (o ring)) with silica gel.. easy to transport if lugguage gets too heavy can jus dump the box there when coming back..

Deadpoet said:
coming from Singapore, you will find California very dry to extremely dry.

btw, where in California? It's a pretty big state. LA itself can accomodate a couple of Singapore.
Precisely! :rolleyes: If you go SF and Bay area, it would be quite wet, while Death Valley is needless to say.

Read up on California
5th largest economy if it were a country, over 33 million people, more than 590x in terms of area to SG...

Thanks for all the advice.
I'm going to San Jose (very near San Francisco).

Checked on Weather.com that the RH is actually higher than Singapore. Freaked me out.
It shows SG is 66% humidity ratio and San Jose 80%. Haiz...

Got recommendation for cheap and good air tight tupperware for the below?
Here's what I'm bringing.

1. Canon 350D
2. 18-55mm kit lens
3. Canon 24-105L IS F4
4. Tamron 28-75 F2.8
5. Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro

How many bottles of silica should be enuf for 6 mths?
Don't wish to buy in US... wait kenna carrot.

was around the San Jose area for more than a year without even a tupperware to put my gear in. i just leave it in my camera bag. i do take the stuff out regularly to shoot so that helps keep the mushrooms away. you'd be fine and there'd be plenty to keep you busy shooting. have fun!

Depending on the month, humidity in San Jose can range between 90%~50%.

I spent 4 to 5 years in San Jose, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara back in 1990s. The weather was always nice. But it could rain (more like heavy drizzle) for days. Anyway, I did not have any dry cabinet then and I faced no problem. However, I did use my gears pretty regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.