Humidity level too low in dry cabinet

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
May I know how to solve the above problem?

It is in office environment where the humidity is 30 to 35 only.

Using a humidifier may not be possible.

Should be OK. In that environment you might not even need a dry cabinet unless you're just using it to maintain the humidity

why you need a dry cabinet in such low humidity?
is like buying a fridge when you stay at north pole.

anyway, unless your office maintaining 30 to 35 in 24/7, than maybe too dry.

Bought already then realised to low. But it's good to become a locker for the camera at a prominent place.

Anyway, what can I do to rectify?

Lucky got buy 5 yrs warranty for body n lens

Bought already then realised to low. But it's good to become a locker for the camera at a prominent place.

Anyway, what can I do to rectify?
don't need to switch on,

put a pile of water next to your dry cabinet when you go home.

or walk your camera and lenses during lunch time.

Lucky got buy 5 yrs warranty for body n lens
Warranty does not cover damages in storage. It only covers faults of manufacturing and material.
There is no need to be concerned. Your camera and lenses are designed to work in these conditions, check your manual.

Is RH of 30-35% really too low? AC in office buildings is typically not switched on 24/7 anyway. Besides, the camera shops store their stock in their air-con shops with no trouble. Don't think their shops or storerooms are humidity-controlled.

Last edited:
I have no issues with storing camera in 35% RH in my cabinet. As long you use the gears often , open the cabinet daily,, dont see the issue actually.

leave the dry cabinet open...

After office hr it fluctuate liao

sin77 said:

If you're using a dry cabinet as mentioned in the title, wouldn't you be able to control the humidity? Then the office humidity wouldn't affect it either...

How do you know your office humidity is 30-35%RH? Most offices are around 50-55%RH.

After office hr it fluctuate liao
So what? Ever heard of lens damage due to RH fluctuating between 35% and something higher? Those cameras in museums, 100 years older or more .. those might be sensitive to fluctuating environment conditions ...

I am just curious. You sure your office RH is that low? Typical air con commercial bldg should be at least 50% and above. If you are using DX or VRV system and running 24/7 then it is a case of not enough fresh air.

Do check you indoor air quality.

Does your dry cabinet have a dial inside? Turn it up slightly to adjust to 41-45%

I suspect your workplace environment may be hazardous because you work in a 超干 place (too dry - a Chinese pun which means the people there aren't too nice) :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Why not leave the door open during aircon hours and close the door after that? It must be nice to store your stuff at office and use company power :D :D

Your office RH is way too low if you have used a digital RH meter it's sometimes off by 5-10 so it may be 45-55 actually which is a typical office RH. Even a Datacenter RH is maintained at 50% so your office cant be that low.

Having dry cabinet shouldn't be a problem you can control the RH in your dry cabinet your office you may not know after office when they shut down the AC the RH may raise or during weekend when there's no AC.