Humidity Level on Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

xigtec31

Jul 6, 2006
I have gotton myself a 40L digi-cabi. I feel that there is a problem with the moisture adsorbing system. Even though I set the dail at maximum the guage level remains still at 50%. It that normal?

How about fellow CSers share of the model and humidity level of your dry cabi.:)

Let it run without anything in it, for 24 hours, then let's see. :)

Let it run without anything in it, for 24 hours, then let's see. :)

:> Thanks for your advise. Unfortunately it is with me for more than a month and have not been off since. So that why I feel that something is not right.

I have gotton myself a 40L digi-cabi. I feel that there is a problem with the moisture adsorbing system. Even though I set the dail at maximum the guage level remains still at 50%. It that normal?

How about fellow CSers share of the model and humidity level of your dry cabi.:)
Where is your maximum setting at?

Most of us set at around 8 to 9 o'clock. Mine is set at 44-45%RH.

Regards,
Arto.

Though should bring down to 40%? :Confuse:

Mine is the 60L analog version...it's usually at 40%...read somewhere that RH should not be lower than 40% to prevent lub from drying out...and 40-50% is the range for lens and cam...

:> Thanks for your advise. Unfortunately it is with me for more than a month and have not been off since. So that why I feel that something is not right.

Check the door seal? :think:

mine
dryrh.jpg

Hi xigtec31,

You might want to borrow a digital hygrometer for verification. When I bought my 2 dry cabinets, both of the hygrometers that came with them weren't accurate and I have to calibrate them myself with a digital one as reference.

From what I know, fungus will find it too tough to survive with less than 50% RH.

To prevent other things like rusting, a much lower RH will be required.

So RH40-50 is good enough. Too dry your rubber parts and grease will dry up too fast.

From my chemistry knowledge, low RH should not cause grease to dry up fast, as they are usually not water-based, similarly for rubbers, etc.

Too low humidity will case static electricity problem which can fry some sensitive components in electronic devices during discharges.

BC

low %RH would cause rubber/latex materials turn brittle. :sweat:

From my chemistry knowledge, low RH should not cause grease to dry up fast, as they are usually not water-based, similarly for rubbers, etc.

Too low humidity will case static electricity problem which can fry some sensitive components in electronic devices during discharges.

BC

can someone confirm there is grease in our camera or lense?

I cannot confirm it's grease or what grade of grease, but one thing's for sure, there's one form of lubrication or another.

The camera and lenses contains mechanics that need something like lubricant to make it work smoothly.

Regards,
Arto.

hi I have a digicab myself..
Here some info.. thought it might be useful..:)

FAQ

• What is a Dry Cabinet?
A Dry Cabinet is a storage cabinet which protect objects from problems cause by humidity.
• Why do you need to keep your photography equipment away from mold?
Fungus can grow on the surfaces inside your lens, providing there is enough moisture (and a bit of dust or lens adhesive to "eat"). Over time, the fugus can etch into the surface of the glass, causing permanent damage to the lens performance. The etched spots in the lens glass alter the lens surface and characteristics, reducing performance significantly and contrast in particular. A Fungus attack which hasn't altered the lens shape or etched into the glass, but only eaten away at the very thin outer lens anti-flare coating, is less damaging to lens performance. Once the lens coatings and surface are etched and damaged, removing the fugus won't return the lens to original performance levels. You have to replace the damaged lens elements, which is usually so expensive it is cheaper to just junk the lens.
• Why can't fungus be cleaned?
While fungus can be removed during a lens CLA (clean/lube/adjust), the damaged and etched lens elements may costly to replace. Not every fungus spore will be removed during even the most thorough cleaning. Even if you sterilized the lens elements (not recommended), fungus spores would still be sucked into the lens during focusing and use. Many people warn against using leather lens carrying cases or bags as a potent source of fungus infection.
But there are enough fungus spores in the air (often hundredsper cubic meter) that lenses are easily infected in general use. So since you can't get rid of fungus spores, you simply have to make your lens an inhospitable "desert" in which fungus can't live or grow.
• What can i store inside DigiCabi Dry Cabinet?
40%RH -50%RH
Video camera, camera, lens, microscope, telescope, negative, tape, video, slide, microfilm, various optic products, CD, VCD, LD, various hi-fi stereo, computer products, books, ancient paintings, paper coins, stamps, works of art.......etc
30%RH-40%RH
Precise metal material, electronic, pottery and porcelain, semiconductor, PCB, indicator, various percise instrument, metallurgic and music instrument, clothes, leather, gold and silver, various treasure collectors.
Under 30%RH
Chinese medicines, tea leaves, seeds, spices, pollen, medicines, metallurgy, power material, chemical raw material
• Why do i need DigiCabi Dry Cabinet in Singapore?
Singapore and most South-East Asia region countries fallsbetween 70%RH-90%RH. Mold is not prevented as air-conditioners and dehumidifiers usually cannot reduce RH below 60%. So the real solution to prevent fungus attack is to reduce the available moisture, so the fungus cannot grow and multiply.
• How DigiCabi Thermo-Electronic Cooling system works?
The AD Series and DHC Series uses T.E.Cooling regrigerated crystal which is a semiconductor crystal for absorbing the moisture of the cabinet interior air. Whenever the humidity of the cabinet is higher than the set RH% value, the Cooling regrigerated crystal will start to refrigerate and condense the moisture until the humidity of the cabinet is down to the set RH% value. Once crystal stops working, it begins to defrost as well as evaporate the moisture out of the cabinet.
• Is the power consumption high?
In comparision with similar products, the efficient rate of our dehumidifiers is 10 times faster but the power consumption is only 1/10 of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.