Humidity for camera - need advise

Istar

Sep 28, 2011
Singapore
May I know the higher the humidity or the lower is better?
The dry cabinet says ideally should be 45% to 55%, but I add in silica gel, it became 10%, so it's good to be 10% or? What should I do?

The dry cabinet says ideally should be 45% to 55%, but I add in silica gel, it became 10%, so it's good to be 10% or? What should I do?

No, its not good. 45-55% means it should be within that range. Btw, why are you adding silica gel into your dry cabinet?

Don't add silica gel into your dry cabinet. And never let your dry cabinet be too dry... it will not be good for the rubber part of your cam or equipment.

remove the silica gel, adjust the setting of dry cabinet to around 45-55%, too dry is bad for rubber parts.

are you intent to mummified your camera?

I set mine to 50% so far no problem

well... yea it says ideally 45-55.. so why are u asking if its good to be 10%.. why pls dont put any silica gel inside. it only "screwed" your dry cabinet up.
too low is bad. too high is bad too.. so yea just stick to 45-55%.

You should read your camera manual and also the manual of the dry cabinet. It's this little booklet that was in the box with your cam. Last pages, somewhere under 'Storage' .. will give you an immediate answer.

10% is too low, technically speaking it could dry up the rubber/lubricants present in your camera/lens.

I think the room humidity will affect that in you dry cabinet. Mine was around 30+ and it dropped to 25% recently. I have it adjusted up to 30% again. Personally I think 30 - 50% is ok. I don't think there are any parts that can be damaged by humidity. The only consideration is temperature which control humidity.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

I think the room humidity will affect that in you dry cabinet. Mine was around 30+ and it dropped to 25% recently. I have it adjusted up to 30% again. Personally I think 30 - 50% is ok. I don't think there are any parts that can be damaged by humidity. The only consideration is temperature which control humidity.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

What do you mean by temperature which controls humidity? They are independent of each other. Also, low humidity do affect parts, refer to the posts above.

Humidity can affects e parts
Too high = possibility of fungus
Too low = possibility of drying of rubber
Hence theres a recommended range in e guide when a dry cabi is purchased.

As for Rm temperature, it doesn't affect tat much, jus nd to take note once in a while to make sure it's still within e range I think

1) Just set to 45-55% as that is recommend for camera related equipment.

2) Why you add in silica gel as you are using a dry cabinet??:confused:

Thanks all brothers for the advise.
Actually was a bit of blur as was first time using DSLR camera and dry cabinet, so just heard from a salesman from newsthread saying have to put silica gel, that's why I bought it from him which cost me $12.90. Seems like this gel has to gone into waste then.

Actually was a bit of blur as was first time using DSLR camera and dry cabinet, so just heard from a salesman from newsthread saying have to put silica gel, that's why I bought it from him which cost me $12.90. Seems like this gel has to gone into waste then.

No need to waste..just put some in your old socks and throw it into your camera bag...helps to keep lens dry on the move :)

Are you using a dry cabinet or dry box? I'm not sure how big your bottle of silica gel is but if it's the standard size then you have been chopped.

Yes. With Medium range setting, you will get 45% to 55% humidity and temp about 30C - 35C depend on your environment temp.

Hmm I got my gel last time at 3.90 only last time when I was using dry box

Istar said:

If you are using a dry cabinet, that purchase just Upped his sales figure by $12.90!
Hmmm if your 'dry cabinet' is not running on any plug-in power then TS that's a dry box ;D