Huge storage advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anokewee

Jan 31, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys,

I will be going to gold coast for a one week honeymoon. I will be also bringing my 2MP digicam to shoot all those pix but i worry about storage. I can only gather around 300mb plus of compact flash after borrowing from my friends but dunno enough or not coz i would like to shoot to my heart's content since it's our first trip there.

I know bringing a laptop is one way but i dun have one leh... Is there any device that could let me transfer my pix on to it for storing purpose?

alternatively, you can rent one such storage device from eastgear as well, but if you think the rental cost is prohibitive, and so is a purchase of it, perhaps you would like to consider buying one for your trip, and selling it on the 2nd hand market once you get back here. the lost incurred may be lower than the rental cost.

Since it's your honeymoon, spend more time with your honey rather then taking photos lah.. :D

If for me, 300+mb with a 2mp camera for 1 week should be sufficient.. as that would probably equate to more than 100 photos per day.. :)

2mp pics in jpg fine mode is roughly about 1mb each in size (for canon cameras anyhow), thus you will get about 300 shots for the current amount of storage you have.

anokewee said:
Hi guys,

I will be going to gold coast for a one week honeymoon. I will be also bringing my 2MP digicam to shoot all those pix but i worry about storage. I can only gather around 300mb plus of compact flash after borrowing from my friends but dunno enough or not coz i would like to shoot to my heart's content since it's our first trip there.

I know bringing a laptop is one way but i dun have one leh... Is there any device that could let me transfer my pix on to it for storing purpose?
Just buy some more CF lor.. :D

If you are not into the high speed CF for the reduced lag time in between shots. (which is not very critical in a 2MP digicam)

A 'normal' or non-high speed (abt 16X) Compact Flash is very cheap, you could get 256Mb for less than $100, ard $95-99.

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/priceguide.php?id=118&filter=name&pg=2

Not really worthwhile to buy storage devices unless you have 5MP or so digicams and shoot RAW.
Because you have to inculde the cost of the 2.5" harddisk.

Besides, with the 256mb CF, just get a USB CF reader and you can use it like a "thumb drive" for your daily PC to PC data transfer, and it's small and portable.

Thanks guys! After much consideration i might just borrow a few more CFs from other friends as i dun wanna fork out the money to get a xdrive... quite ex.

For 300MB+, a 2MP cam can take well over 500 shots of JPEGs. For a week, that's quite a lot if you take care to plan your shots carefully.

Newman said:
For 300MB+, a 2MP cam can take well over 500 shots of JPEGs. For a week, that's quite a lot if you take care to plan your shots carefully.
i think for 2mp, it's better to safe it in the best jpg quality, and 500+ is not a realistic number.

Just another option albeit a risky one; when you reach your destination, check out if there're any shops around that can transfer your photos from CF Card to CD-Rs. Once you're out of space on your CF Card, just send it to the shop and transfer to CD. I agree with wacko, for a 2mpixel camera, set it to largest and best quality setting. You won't notice it on the camera LCD, but when you send it for printing, you can see the difference between the settings.

oh.. and how about batteries? :D must remember to bring extra batteries, sekali got a lot cf card then the charging time for the batteries defeat the purpose.

anokewee said:
Hi guys,

Apparently I'm in the same boat as you... WIll be going for 9 days though... :D School trip... not honeymoon

Status
Not open for further replies.