Huangshan in early April 14

Photofly

Jan 2, 2011
I will be heading to Huangshan in early april with a group of frens. Any tips and advice? Intending to bring one wide angle & 24-70mm.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I will be heading to Huangshan in early april with a group of ferns. Any tips and advice? Intending to bring one wide angle & 24-70mm.
Thanks.

Skip the 24-70. a light telezoom and an ultrawide zoom will be good enough. Keep it light and simple.

you will need a telephoto lens like the 70-200 range.

Have 3 lenses 24-70,16-35,70-200mm all f 2.8 (6D body)
I would have thought the 70-200mm would be too heavy to lug around, climbing all those steps?? Your advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:
you can fly to nearby city then take bus to Huangshan.

http://www.hsccits.com/hsjtzx2.htm

pls note you should travel to the huangshan scenic area(黄山风景区) not huangshan town.
Just back from Huangshan 1.5 weeks ago, due to flight cancellation decided to take bus from 上海 to 黄山 and took me around 5~6hrs(~150rmb/pax) reach the bus transport center then took another bus(19rmb) straight into the mountains another 1hr.

Meetup with huangshan photographer group stay in the west sea hotel with them, they bring me to those hotspot. ;)
I had myself 2 cam, tripod, 14mm and 300mm for the 4 days stay and gwake up at around 0400hrs to chop a place for sunrise.

It is not so difficult to move around from one area to next area, YMMV.

Pls note the alt is about 1500m to 1700m all path with steps and not difficult you could hire a helper that will cost you around 200rmb full day with standard load they go by KG check with the hotel they are many. Do not pay them in advance also they will ask for tips as usual during EOD payment.

If you have PRC recognize photographer society membership/club, pls bring along you get discount for the cable car fee but you must have original
pls go to the side door to show/proof to the authority once done you get a chop.

I am going back to have another round of meetup with the huangshan photographer club coming Jun or Sep. :)

HTH

pls note you should travel to the huangshan scenic area(黄山风景区) not huangshan town.
Just back from Huangshan 1.5 weeks ago, due to flight cancellation decided to take bus from 上海 to 黄山 and took me around 5~6hrs(~150rmb/pax) reach the bus transport center then took another bus(19rmb) straight into the mountains another 1hr.

Meetup with huangshan photographer group stay in the west sea hotel with them, they bring me to those hotspot. ;)
I had myself 2 cam, tripod, 14mm and 300mm for the 4 days stay and gwake up at around 0400hrs to chop a place for sunrise.

Pls note the alt is about 1500m to 1700m all path with steps and not difficult you could hire a helper that will cost you around 200rmb full day with standard load they go by KG check with the hotel they are many. Do not pay them in advance also they will ask for tips as usual during EOD payment.

If you have PRC recognize photographer society membership/club, pls bring along you get discount for the cable car fee but you must have original
pls go to the side door to show/proof to the authority once done you get a chop.

I am going back to have another round of meetup with the huangshan photographer club coming Jun or Sep. :)

HTH

Thks.am going with organised group(local tour guide).Think we will be bused there with cable car up.

Last edited:

HTH

Actually, the town at the foot of Huangshan is Tangkou 汤口. That is also where the long distance bus from Shanghai stops. That is actually the place where most people will stay. It is advisable to stay the night in Tangkou upon arrival, and only start going up Huangshan in the morning. I strongly recommend visiting Hongchun or FeiCuiGu (Crystal Jade Valley) before heading up Huangshan. If you have more people in your party, taking a car up is cheaper (60rmb a few years back, probably slightly more now. A car can carry 4).

Huangshan is relatively easy to find locations for photography. The link to the map already show you where all the sunrise and sunset locations are. What you need more is luck, to be able to see the sea of clouds.

Thks.am going with organised group(local tour guide).Think we will be bused there with cable car up.

If following an organized tour, you will not have much options in terms of photography. The tour guides move very fast through the mountain ranges. Just make sure you do not get left behind.

Seriously you do not need tour guide just use Albert Lim map will do.

From &#27748;&#21475; take bus to the cable car(20rmb/pax) around < 45min to the cable car station then another maybe 30~40mins by cable car to the mountain.
Bus at interval of 15~30 mins interval will take you to the cable station just need to check the schedule at the stations, otherwise just ask around.

From mountain foot to the place where most hotel location would take u 1~2 hrs most SG pple cannot take it by foot.

There are sign in most location tell you where you are etc.

Dear TS, Huangshan merits more than one visit with an organised group. Enjoy yourself this April.

All the above gave good advice.

Last edited:
Dear TS, Huangshan merits more than one visit with an organised group. Enjoy yourself this April.

All the above gave good advice.

Thank u all.
Looking fwd to my trip.Hope to return another season as Huangshan looks extensive to cover in one trip.

Cheers

Thank u all.
Looking fwd to my trip.Hope to return another season as Huangshan looks extensive to cover in one trip.

Cheers

Most organized trips will take you up and down the main route in a single day. To explore it nicely, I would recommend you stay two nights up in Huangshan. The more nights you spend up in the range the more you will get the explore. It is truly an amazing journey up there.

BTW, a note about the hotels up in Huangshan. All the hotels up there are owned by the same company. So prices are all the same no matter which hotel you stay. The hotels are differentiated by location. So planning your route, will involve planning which hotels to stay. When you visit Huangshan again, do take your time and breathe in the views. Amazing up there.

ALso one more thing, since Huangshan is a very well known and comparatively small scenic area, you will run into a lot of fellow tourists, making shooting some scenes a little frustrating. So just temper your expectations a little. If you want to shoot it with no tourists, best go back in winter and shoot the winter scene.

This is what you usually see at the famous locations.
13355836864_ab05e89c2c_c.jpg

ALso one more thing, since Huangshan is a very well known and comparatively small scenic area, you will run into a lot of fellow tourists, making shooting some scenes a little frustrating. So just temper your expectations a little. If you want to shoot it with no tourists, best go back in winter and shoot the winter scene.

This is what you usually see at the famous locations.
13355836864_ab05e89c2c_c.jpg

Nice Capture! Will spend two nites up in the mountains. Our group are peeps with same interests(Photography)
and only us plus guide! so hopefully can make time to shoot

cheers

The thing about Huangshan is that - The more erratic the weather, the more interesting shots you are going to get.

Took this in June 2011 during mid afternoon. It decided to rain and mist descended onto the mountains, creating this interesting shot.

Lastly, I don't think you need an ultra wide lens, a 24-70mm is more than good enough for wide shots.

Nice Capture! Will spend two nites up in the mountains. Our group are peeps with same interests(Photography)
and only us plus guide! so hopefully can make time to shoot

cheers

I meant the hordes of tourists...

I agreed with Albert Lim, Do not understand estimate the local tourists if you not use to the local culture... do not set expectation high.
the local including the photographers will do anything to amazing and unexpected, that you never experience before. :(