HTML/Flash/simpleviewer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

incubus

Nov 3, 2004
galaxy far far away
www.shahrulazmi.com
hi, im in a bit of a snag, can any kind soul help me with dis problem.
i was using picasa with the simpleviewer template, and everything is all fine now. juz wondering if anyone here knows hot to load multiple galleries. i also want to have a splash page/home page before clicking on a link to go to any of my galleries

IIRC, the help/FAQ file of SimpleViewer does touch on your concern and has an example.

im not sure if im helping but i think it has something to do with manupulation the flash file inside the html and linking it up or somesort. havent had the time to play around with simpleviewer to find out cuz im just getting more bz :embrass:

but i think its something like this eh? navigate to here and click on photography. not my site of course...

hmmm seems like my current webhost does not support PHP till i subscribe with it. so the next option as described in th FAQS are
13: How do I create multiple galleries?

To create multiple galleries of images, make a copy of the whole SimpleViewer folder for each gallery. Create your individual galleries as normal. You can now create a menu page that links to the index.html page in each sub-folder. Alternatively, you can use SimpleViewerAdmin to handle multiple galleries.

the question now is, how do i create a menu page? via dreamweaver or flash and upload to my server. but wont my other folders have the same index.html? how to differentiate?

im lost. help anyone>?

i think all u nid to do is create a page to hyperlink all those galleries together.

i dont think i can show you a simpleview example but i can show you what i did with for the gallery in my school assignment.

http://metallilan.atspace.com/iwgd/photo_gallery/pht_index.html

the links you see all hyperlink to a separate index file in a different folder. just rollover to see the url and you will see the difference. But if you click, you notice it opens in the box, (in firefox you wont see it but in IE you will be presented with a white box the first time) right below the links.

All i did was create an 'iframe' page to load the galleries there, instead of popping it up in a new window.

hope that gives you an idea on what to do...

incubus said:
the question now is, how do i create a menu page? via dreamweaver or flash and upload to my server. but wont my other folders have the same index.html? how to differentiate?
all it means is that you can create subfolders for all your albums e.g. album01, album02, ... , album99. within each album, you would have its own "index.html" page, with associated xml files, subfolders, etc.

further, if you are familiar with html, you can simple write links to the various "index.html" of the various albums, e.g.
<a href="album01/index.html">album01 - Church Wedding pictures</a>
<p>
<a href="album02/index.html">album02 - Wedding Dinner pictures</a>

(note that "album01/index.html" is a relative reference from the current directory).

have not played with simplevieweradmin yet, although my next project is to get up my own webbie!!! :bsmilie:

SimpleViewerAdmin - SVA's scripts are difficult to grasp IMO. Tried reading the SVA's forum and I gave up! Basicallly if one wants to do some form of customising, one will need to learn some basic html and scripts to tweak the things one wants.

di0nysus said:
SimpleViewerAdmin - SVA's scripts are difficult to grasp IMO. Tried reading the SVA's forum and I gave up! Basicallly if one wants to do some form of customising, one will need to learn some basic html and scripts to tweak the things one wants.

i think this is way from basic html...this uses php scripts or somesort( something i havent even learned yet ) :sweat:

Cactus jACK said:
all it means is that you can create subfolders for all your albums e.g. album01, album02, ... , album99. within each album, you would have its own "index.html" page, with associated xml files, subfolders, etc.

further, if you are familiar with html, you can simple write links to the various "index.html" of the various albums, e.g.
<a href="album01/index.html">album01 - Church Wedding pictures</a>
<p>
<a href="album02/index.html">album02 - Wedding Dinner pictures</a>

(note that "album01/index.html" is a relative reference from the current directory).

have not played with simplevieweradmin yet, although my next project is to get up my own webbie!!! :bsmilie:

actually I was wondering if we can create a whole lot of imagedata.xml files in the same folder and give them distinct names. then using href tag to call the SimpleViewer with the correct imagedata.xml to be used. the reason I don't want all the xml to be in separate folders is that I have hundreds of them (just like having hundreds of galleries).

anyone knows?

hwchoy said:
use simpleviewerAdmin if you aren't too particular about the menu page. here's what it will look like:

www.hexazona.com/hwchoy/SimpleViewer/index.php

dis is wat i had in mind, simple and straight to the point. but my current "free' webhost does not support PHP, so simplevieweradmin is out (besides, i wont even be able to figure it out)
i will try and comprehend wat cactus jack posted. heeh
more reading for me

incubus said:
dis is wat i had in mind, simple and straight to the point. but my current "free' webhost does not support PHP, so simplevieweradmin is out (besides, i wont even be able to figure it out)
i will try and comprehend wat cactus jack posted. heeh
more reading for me

Simplevieweradmin is a really easy to use program, so you'll definitely figure it out.

Maybe you would want to invest approx $60/year in a 1 gb webhosting program, so you'll get the PHP support alongs with many stuff you can install.
Can store all the pictures you want in your webserver. =)

(just remember to back them up)

FirstDecember said:
Simplevieweradmin is a really easy to use program, so you'll definitely figure it out.

Maybe you would want to invest approx $60/year in a 1 gb webhosting program, so you'll get the PHP support alongs with many stuff you can install.
Can store all the pictures you want in your webserver. =)

(just remember to back them up)

i already got it to work, using picasa to export the images and thumbnails. been workin fine. juz dat i wanna try haveing multiple galleries with it. i was also thinkin dat i might as well experiment with a free webhost first before i get a dedicated one. but the prob is the lack of supporting modes like PHp and such.

hwchoy said:
actually I was wondering if we can create a whole lot of imagedata.xml files in the same folder and give them distinct names. then using href tag to call the SimpleViewer with the correct imagedata.xml to be used. the reason I don't want all the xml to be in separate folders is that I have hundreds of them (just like having hundreds of galleries).

anyone knows?
from the little i have played with simpleviewer code, i think that it is possible. there are various way to get this done, just be wary of 1) data management issues (how easy it is to find the information / file you want), and 2) need for customisation (if you constantly have to edit xml files with different href, remember naming conventions, etc -> more time -> possibly more confusing).

i personally find data management easier when slotted into folders and sub-folders. in this case, you would only have to edit the first page (front interface), referencing multiple subfolders, and let simpleviewer manage the rest (so to speak).

incubus said:
i already got it to work, using picasa to export the images and thumbnails. been workin fine. juz dat i wanna try haveing multiple galleries with it. i was also thinkin dat i might as well experiment with a free webhost first before i get a dedicated one. but the prob is the lack of supporting modes like PHp and such.

Good idea to try on free webhosts.
Not sure if there are any that provide PHP but there should be.

Anyway, if you do intend to get a web hosting plan, i can recommend you to some of the flash-based photo galleries out there.

Quite nice some of them; but you might need to pay a nominal fee.
(approx $20++)

at least your gallery won't look like the run-of-the-mill SimpleViewer galleries.

But..

Still...

End of the day, the pictures matters the most..
so yeah.. good choice with the free webhost =)

thanx cactus jack. Would like to pick your brains sometime when I get round to messing with it.

The reason I do not want to go the subfolder way, is that there will be hundreds of these, and they keep increasing. I plan to make the XML file track the names of the image subjects (scientific names of animals) so that will keep the files together. It is easier for me to duplicate the XML files, and cut/paste the new image names then to muck about with hundreds of folders. plus the problem of mass refresh of the images.

Cactus jACK said:
from the little i have played with simpleviewer code, i think that it is possible. there are various way to get this done, just be wary of 1) data management issues (how easy it is to find the information / file you want), and 2) need for customisation (if you constantly have to edit xml files with different href, remember naming conventions, etc -> more time -> possibly more confusing).

i personally find data management easier when slotted into folders and sub-folders. in this case, you would only have to edit the first page (front interface), referencing multiple subfolders, and let simpleviewer manage the rest (so to speak).

managed to do what I had in mind. so I have one folder for ALL the index.html (each with a different name), another folder for ALL the imageData.xml, and son on. I find that it is easier to make duplicated each index.html and imageData.xml and edit just the image names and leave everything else (such as the relative paths) intact.

does anyone know how to put a wallpaper for SimpleViewer instead of just specifying a bgcolor?

hwchoy said:
managed to do what I had in mind. so I have one folder for ALL the index.html (each with a different name), another folder for ALL the imageData.xml, and son on. I find that it is easier to make duplicated each index.html and imageData.xml and edit just the image names and leave everything else (such as the relative paths) intact.

does anyone know how to put a wallpaper for SimpleViewer instead of just specifying a bgcolor?

the simpleviewer is autogenerated in swf format.. so i guess it's quite impossible to get your wallpaper into the parts where the pictures and thumbnails are showing.

don't think the simpleviewer codes & its config file allow for background configuration other than bgcolor... explored most of the codes already..

wanted to do what u wanted too.. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.