HP CEO resigns over sexual harassment investigation

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
i am ashamed that i only know this news today :

Wild news out of HP just now -- CEO Mark Hurd has just resigned over a sexual harassment investigation. Hurd and HP's board of directors decided that he should resign following a sexual harassment claim against Hurd and HP by a former marketing contractor -- HP claims that although there was no violation of its sexual harassment policy, Hurd violated the company's standards of business conduct by submitting inaccurate expense reports that covered his relationship with the contractor. CFO Cathie Lesjak is taking over on an interim basis, and she's actually upping the company's forecasts for next quarter, saying Mark's resignation has nothing to do with HP's performance and everything to do with his behavior. A committee led by former Netscape CEO Marc Andreessen has been formed to find a new CEO; Lesjak has asked to be excluded, and HP declined to answer if Jon Rubinstein was being considered when we asked.

full story here :

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/hp-ceo-mark-hurd-resigns-over-sexual-harassment-investigation/

Yes, it's been around a week now.

The person on contract was also his mistress and when things went bad, she claimed sexual harassment. I heard her say "I didn't want him to lose his job.", though she had to know how far it would go.

heard from my friend who is working in hp that this is good for hp. since this mark hurd guy had become hp's ceo, many talented people had been lost due to his retrenchment and unreasonable cost cutting programs. this guy is "hurting" hp.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/h-p-culture-crumbled-further-under-hurd-2010-08-19

He did well initially to bring costs down..but going forward, most probably he is not suitable anymore...

thanks for the link , his reputation is very bad..

Wall Street loved his obsession with cutting costs, but employees did not. He brought even more major changes to the company's once paternalistic culture, much like his predecessor Carly Fiorina, who pretty much killed the old H-P Way.

With Hurd at the helm, H-P /quotes/comstock/13*!hpq/quotes/nls/hpq (HPQ 40.76, -0.60, -1.45%) became an even tougher place to work, with even less emphasis on innovating anything new.

agree.

cost cutting = lousier service. period.

Last edited:
He was offered jobs and approached by many other companies as posted in some media :bsmilie:

heard from my friend who is working in hp that this is good for hp. since this mark hurd guy had become hp's ceo, many talented people had been lost due to his retrenchment and unreasonable cost cutting programs. this guy is "hurting" hp.

He came from a company near me, NCR, that was quite well known for their mechanical cash registers, but instead of innovating, they rid itself of thousands of employees in a single action. They've recently moved to a new area but I think they didn't hurt this area by moving. At least, people here knew that their jobs weren't safe.

It's not surprising that many people at HP would have lost their jobs.

I am sure you have heard of this oft-used statement, "power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Lord Acton). Few people upon achieving power and wealth become more humble and kind. One who comes to me is famous investor, Warren Buffet, who despite his wealth still lives in the same old house; used his old car and will donate 90% (or something like that) to charity. Same in politics - remember Mugabe of Zimbabwe? Across the causeway, you see plenty albeit on a very much smaller scale. Tiger Wood, and I am sure you can name plenty of them. If one believes in karma or another statement, "every dog has its days"; then one may feel better, but why should one even spend the precious minutes thinking about these? To me, my guiding principle is "sustainable life-style" - excessiveness will eventually kill this world with natural disasters. We can see many of these nowadays - global warming, landslide, flood. So, don't buy from companies nor support "celebrities" who are not good model (I don't even say, role model - they are not perfect). Your hawkers are the best people, earning an honest living.

So, don't buy from companies nor support "celebrities" who are not good model (I don't even say, role model - they are not perfect). Your hawkers are the best people, earning an honest living.

There's still lots of people in this world who are indifferent , just by looking at the jobs offered to Mark immediately (reported by media and wonder who in the right frame of mind will do that) I would also not support such bad model. We have business thugs, movie thugs...and these people will try to ride on other's fame to make a comeback and some through other's greed..that junkie movie star who rides on Jet Li's fame ;( :angry:..I am going to give that show a miss ! :bsmilie: