HOYA UV filter

kitty2

Apr 21, 2005
Hi CSer,
I wonder how good HOYA UV filter compare to B+W (both normal type - not MRC type) is? since price of these two brands is so huge. Is it HUGE different in term of filter function in order to get better picture in very hot sun?

Last edited:
Hi CSer,
I wonder how good HOYA UV filter compare to B+W (both normal type - not MRC type) is? since price of these two brands is so huge. Is it HUGE different in term of filter function in order to get better picture in very hot sun?

Just like B+W has different models of filters, so does Hoya... So which are you comparing to which?

For Hoya UV there are these models:
Hoya both sides coated
Hoya HMC
Hoya SMC
Hoya UMC
Hoya Pro1 D
Hoya HD

Just like B+W has different models of filters, so does Hoya... So which are you comparing to which?

For Hoya UV there are these models:
Hoya both sides coated
Hoya HMC
Hoya SMC
Hoya UMC
Hoya Pro1 D
Hoya HD

BOth normal UV filter (apple to apple) and both MRC.

Most of us thought B+W is always great filter.

BUT... pls read this finding:
http://www.lenstip.com/113.7-article-UV_filters_test_B+W_72mm_010_UV-Haze.html

Do you agree?

Last edited:
BOth normal UV filter (apple to apple) and both MRC.

Most of us thought B+W is always great filter.

BUT... pls read this finding:
http://www.lenstip.com/113.7-article-UV_filters_test_B+W_72mm_010_UV-Haze.html

Do you agree?

I know about that article. read it 2 years ago.

B+W 010 UV haze is not impressive at all...

For the expensive B+W MRC slim, you have to compare to Hoya pro1D or HD...

But can B+W do this? :

[vid]cT6wBQR7iqE[/vid]

Last edited:
I know about that article. read it 2 years ago.

B+W 010 UV haze is not impressive at all...

For the expensive B+W MRC slim, you have to compare to Hoya pro1D or HD...

But can B+W do this? :

[vid]cT6wBQR7iqE[/vid]

b+w certainly cannot do this... i have the b+w mrc haze and hoya hd... both are pretty good performers and hoya hd is a lil more tough! however you dont buy filter to abuse la... it's just to protect your front element!

Hi CSer,
Non-MRC? Any good reason for this? Do you need artificially induced flare? Under normal daylight there is nothing that you could see as difference. But When coming to night or back light situations then 'no filter' is the best option, unless you need the flare.
What can make a difference is that B+W are easier to clean. But this might be outdated, last time I used a UV filter was >3 years ago.