hoya UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presto80

Jun 3, 2009
hi all

intedning to get 1 hoya uv filter...

since they are so many model, can i jus ask which are the better 1 and not too ex?
intendiung to buy this week so not much time left..

reading thru the website and some thread.i still do not knwo which is better..

thanx alot..

Then go and read again. Pretty well explained in many reviews and also here. For price indications check the price guide. Go and read instead of waiting to be spoonfed.

Then go and read again. Pretty well explained in many reviews and also here. For price indications check the price guide. Go and read instead of waiting to be spoonfed.

well i do read n call n ask some shops for prices..but if i knw the ans i wont be asking in here..
cos heard of so many ple kana chop carrot..from a few brand i narrow down jus to hoya..as if im asking the whole world which filter is best..

readdin here i saw hoya norm...multicoat and hd..but i dun see much tok abt whcih better..
go to their site..of coz the more functionality will be advertise mroe...more ex but does it equate to better? tats y i ask for opionion...

real user opionion is better..i dun expect to spoonfed..at least my conscience is clear tat i did some readin n calling b4 askin for more opionion.

reading thru the website and some thread.i still do not knwo which is better..

thanx alot..
Better can be in many areas ?

Better looking exterior ?
Better & easier to clean when smudged ?
Better & easier to fix/remove the filter on/off ur lens?
Better glass quality ?
Better light flare control ?
Better in terms of scratch proof ?

and many more.. :bsmilie:

well i do read n call n ask some shops for prices..but if i knw the ans i wont be asking in here..
cos heard of so many ple kana chop carrot..from a few brand i narrow down jus to hoya..as if im asking the whole world which filter is best..

readdin here i saw hoya norm...multicoat and hd..but i dun see much tok abt whcih better..
go to their site..of coz the more functionality will be advertise mroe...more ex but does it equate to better? tats y i ask for opionion...

real user opionion is better..i dun expect to spoonfed..at least my conscience is clear tat i did some readin n calling b4 askin for more opionion.

Hi hi ,

I think if you just need the filter to protect lens , I suggest that a clear filter will be best. All UV filters will have degrees of flaring and distortion due to the coatings on the filter.

I am using the Hoya Pro1D series, its thinner than normal filters ,and the flares rates are pretty low , but it still flares. I got it from hk, at 350 HKD , which is ard 70 bucks for 67mm . I read in SG can be going for 100 bucks for 77mm thread.

Last edited:
Hi hi ,

I suggest that a clear filter will be best. All UV filters will have degrees of flaring and distortion due to the coatings on the filter.

Going by this logic ...

1) ALL UV filters will flare and distort
2) ALL UV filters that flare and distort is because of the coatings used. Since 'coatings' is plural, refers to multi-coating
3) A clear filter, with no coatings will not flare and have no distortions.

So therefor the best is to get a clear, plain piece of non-UV material with no coatings whatsoever?

:confused:

Going by this logic ...

1) ALL UV filters will flare and distort
2) ALL UV filters that flare and distort is because of the coatings used. Since 'coatings' is plural, refers to multi-coating
3) A clear filter, with no coatings will not flare and have no distortions.

So therefor the best is to get a clear, plain piece of non-UV material with no coatings whatsoever?

:confused:

Oops please do correct if I got it wrong. I just thought for lens protection a clear one would be better :lovegrin:

I teasing you lah, :) but there is some fault with the logic.

In digital applications, there is no difference between a clear filter, or a UV one.

For both types, there are junk quality as well as super high quality.

Usually, besides the optical properties of the glass itself, a huge difference is because of the coatings used. The more, and higher-quality the coatings, the better. However, this is over-simplifying it as different metal vapours are chosen for specific reasons, so it's not just a case of wack a lot of everything is best. :bsmilie:

Bottom line?

For high-quality, multi-coated filters, it makes no difference whether a clear filter or a UV filter is used for digital, and it's probably easiest to just get those with more/better coatings.

However, if one gets a high-quality multi-coated UV filter, it can be used for digital and also be useful for film photography, in case one decides to try film photography at some stage. Clear filters will be of less use for film photography.

The Hoya PRO1D series of filters come in BOTH the CLEAR as well as UV versions, so you have to specify which and not just say 'Hoya Pro1D'.

It's a pretty decent filter. :)

CHEERS!

In digital applications, there is no difference between a clear filter, or a UV one.

Usually, besides the optical properties of the glass itself, a huge difference is because of the coatings used. The more, and higher-quality the coatings, the better. However, this is over-simplifying it as different metal vapours are chosen for specific reasons, so it's not just a case of wack a lot of everything is best. :bsmilie:

Bottom line?

For high-quality, multi-coated filters, it makes no difference whether a clear filter or a UV filter is used for digital, and it's probably easiest to just get those with more/better coatings.

However, if one gets a high-quality multi-coated UV filter, it can be used for digital and also be useful for film photography, in case one decides to try film photography at some stage. Clear filters will be of less use for film photography.

The Hoya PRO1D series of filters come in BOTH the CLEAR as well as UV versions, so you have to specify which and not just say 'Hoya Pro1D'.

CHEERS!

:thumbsup: :) Thats one explaination that hit bulls eye cleanly ! Thanks for that .

Bottom line?

CHEERS!

tink i will go shop n enquire abt pro1D uv filter and HD one. seems these 2 are recommended by ple using it.
if i didnt read wrongli ,,pro 1d and HD are good multicoat hor

thanx

Last edited:
Pro 1D and HD are Hoya's top of the line.

I've used the Pro1D before.

I had some major flare problems, but then again, bear in mind that the filter was on the EF 70-2002.8 IS, a lens that was designed during the film era, and prone to flaring when light source is pointed towards a digital camera ... so it could have been more the fault of the lens rather than the filter.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Pro1D anymore. If not, it would be fairly easy to do quite aggressive flare tests.

Last edited:
Pro 1D and HD are Hoya's top of the line.

I've used the Pro1D before.

I had some major flare problems, but then again, bear in mind that the filter was on the EF 70-2002.8 IS, a lens that was designed during the film era, and prone to flaring when light source is pointed towards a digital camera ... so it could have been more the fault of the lens rather than the filter.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Pro1D anymore. If not, it would be fairly easy to do quite aggressive flare tests.

ermmm...quite new to photography so dun quite understand film era designed lens..haa..
anyway im on d90 wif 18-105mm...mayb buyin a 60mm macro soon..

if HD nt too much more ex than pro1 d then i will get HD. if nt pro1d shd be ok from wat i heard so far...called alan photo..they dun sell hd..pro1d ard 50

Some lenses, designed in the film era, does not take into consideration the extra reflectivity and high-pass filters of a digital capture device like a camera sensor.

Simply

- film lens designed with less internal reflections in mind.

- When used on digital cameras, may tend to flare more.

- Digital lens factors in the extra reflections and glass inside the camera.

Some specialized digital lenses actually factor in the high-pass filter(s) as part of their optical design. Meaning? They would NOT perform optimally in a film-based system.

well said, seserved some support!!!:thumbsup:

On internet forum, there are too many spoons, to thinking TS is asking for spoonfed is getting things wrong IMO.

BTW, I used HD for all my lenses.

hoya pro1D

better would b hoya HD

alternative u can consider B+W

yupz...tink i will be getting pro1d..might be goin down on sat to buy..unless HD price is nt much higher as might be getting another lens so mean anther filter..so poor liao..haa

Some lenses, designed in the film era, does not take into consideration the extra reflectivity and high-pass filters of a digital capture device like a camera sensor.

Simply

- film lens designed with less internal reflections in mind.

- When used on digital cameras, may tend to flare more.

- Digital lens factors in the extra reflections and glass inside the camera.

Some specialized digital lenses actually factor in the high-pass filter(s) as part of their optical design. Meaning? They would NOT perform optimally in a film-based system.

hey...thanx for explaining to an novice like me...understood wat u said...

thanx all above again for the info and help..sorrie if im asking a spoonfed question

Very well explain. That's what newbie corner is about, helpful senior supporting our new CSer. Btw, I'm using Hoya DMC slim filter for my UWA lens and Hoya HMC for 17-40mm, they're usually cheap and good.

Very well explain. That's what newbie corner is about, helpful senior supporting our new CSer. Btw, I'm using Hoya DMC slim filter for my UWA lens and Hoya HMC for 17-40mm, they're usually cheap and good.

hoya hmc ah? sorrie ah..is this better or pro 1d?

in the end i jus bought hoya pro 1d protector..not uv filter as after so much research uv filter is nt realli necessary in digital cam..and the price diff is 25 bucks

thanx all for all the input n help..

Status
Not open for further replies.