HOYA UV filter or Skylight 1B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzw89

Nov 29, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a general filter. And these 2 filters' description seems to be quite similar to me as it's both meant for outdoors. But what really is the difference between them? And which one should i get? Thanks.

skylight filters are supposed to add a warm effect to your pictures if im not wrong.
most people just use a UV filter.

No, these two filters are not the same. Quoting a response from photo.net: http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00AXmE
Chris - A skylight filter is a colour correction filter, designed to correct the slight blue cast that results from shooting under an open blue sky. (If you have seen snow scenes where the shadows are blue, this is what I mean, but it can also happen on the beach). It will also filter out UV, the same as a UV filter.

A UV filter filters out the UV only, with little or no effect on the colour balance of the scene.

You should get the filter that serves your purpose. First: what do you intend to do? Filtering UV is quite useless since since there isn't any UV left after the light passed through your lens. Today's coating and lens elements are also filtering UV. Protection? That's up to you. I prefer to be alert and careful instead of having a piece of glass at my lens that will cause ghosting and flare under certain light conditions. Warming up? To a certain extend you can do this using PP. But sometimes a filter can help to eliminate hazy effects.
Decide for yourself but first get clear about your purpose. Without purpose and goal to achieve you will only waste money.

So what it means is Skylight 1B also serves as a UV filter? I do quite abit of outdoor photography which gave me the idea of getting one because i thought it will help, more or less. But, does it have any effects on photos if it's taken outdoor at night?

Thanks

if im not wrong, both are designed to block excessive UV, except one is transparent and the other is slightly pinkish

So what it means is Skylight 1B also serves as a UV filter? I do quite abit of outdoor photography which gave me the idea of getting one because i thought it will help, more or less. But, does it have any effects on photos if it's taken outdoor at night?

It will still block the UV ... but where do you find UV at night? Skylight will also affect the colours a tiny bit. But a bit PP will the job as well. First: define the effect that you want to achieve. Then see whether you can get it in PP or whether you must use a filter. Polarizing effects cannot be achieved with PP - filter is a must. Same goes for ND and GND (unless you go for HDR). Most other effects can be done using PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.