Hoya Pro 1 Digital Series Ultraviolet UV Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just add another layer (or few) of coating to filter InfraRed IIRC. InfraRed light is bad for digital sensor than UltraViolet light. Why don't they just use InfraRed filter and remove UltraViolet filter if like that? Errr..., maybe because they also want this product to be used on film camera too :embrass: ? And the price of 2 filters is higher than price of one filter :think: .

But, thinking on how to keep it clean, I prefer B+W UV MRC filter.

Regards,
Arto.

They just add another layer (or few) of coating to filter InfraRed IIRC. InfraRed light is bad for digital sensor than UltraViolet light. Why don't they just use InfraRed filter and remove UltraViolet filter if like that? Errr..., maybe because they also want this product to be used on film camera too :embrass: ? And the price of 2 filters is higher than price of one filter :think: .

But, thinking on how to keep it clean, I prefer B+W UV MRC filter.

Regards,
Arto.
:dunno: lost.. what have IR got to do with all these when TS is asking about hoya Pro1 Digital UV filter... :dunno:

anyway the best filter I used gotta be marumi... cheap and "superbly" good...

:dunno: lost.. what have IR got to do with all these when TS is asking about hoya Pro1 Digital UV filter... :dunno:

anyway the best filter I used gotta be marumi... cheap and "superbly" good...
Because the filter ts mentioned is digital pro series, which I believe is capable to filter InfraRed light. As I mentioned before, InfraRed light is bad for digital sensor than UltraViolet light.

Regards,
Arto.

Because the filter ts mentioned is digital pro series, which I believe is capable to filter InfraRed light. As I mentioned before, InfraRed light is bad for digital sensor than UltraViolet light.

Regards,
Arto.
not sure, but iirc pro1-series digital series is practically no different from HMC other than a extra coating mean for digital, just like tamron Di and Sigma DG. at probably slimmer profile than normal HMC. :dunno:

not sure, but iirc pro1-series digital series is practically no different from HMC other than a extra coating mean for digital, just like tamron Di and Sigma DG. at probably slimmer profile than normal HMC. :dunno:
Its different coating for filter and lens if stated for digital series.

Filter for digital series have extra coating to filter out InfraRed light.

Digital series lens have a coating to prevent reflection because of digital sensor. This nothing to do with filtering InfraRed light.

Bear in mind, the digital sensor itself have a coating to filter out InfraRed light.

Regards,
Arto.

Its different coating for filter and lens if stated for digital series.

Filter for digital series have extra coating to filter out InfraRed light.

Digital series lens have a coating to prevent reflection because of digital sensor. This nothing to do with filtering InfraRed light.

Bear in mind, the digital sensor itself have a coating to filter out InfraRed light.

Regards,
Arto.
dono... but from hoya website, they didn't even mention anything about IR... :bsmilie:
http://www.thkphoto.com/digital/dp-02.html

dono... but from hoya website, they didn't even mention anything about IR... :bsmilie:
http://www.thkphoto.com/digital/dp-02.html
Yah..., maybe because they think people know if they put infrared filter, people will said it is a marketing trick :bsmilie: .

BTW, all coating, single coating, MC (Multi Coated) (HMC or SHMC for Hoya, MRC for B+W) and coating or multi coating on lens is mean to reduce reflection (found not only for digital series filter). For example, hoya HMC will transmit 99.7% and reflect 0.3%, Hoya SHMC will transmit 99.95% and reflect 0.05% (only for example).

Even worse, UV protective jewel case for keep the UV filter :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Hmm.. isn't the InfraRed Filter already built-in on DSLRs? This was what I read in the books on Digital Photography...
Exactly. That's why sometimes IR photography do the modification by removing THAT filter on top of sensor.

Maybe they want to give impression to people that double filtering is better than single filtering?

For me, its a marketing gimmick.

Regards,
Arto.

Exactly. That's why sometimes IR photography do the modification by removing THAT filter on top of sensor.

Maybe they want to give impression to people that double filtering is better than single filtering?

For me, its a marketing gimmick.

Regards,
Arto.

The IR filter you attach over the lens allows only IR radiation in. The one on the hot glass over the sensor tries to block ALL IR radiation, but doesn't. The reason such a long exposure time is needed when you don't remove the hot glass filter is because it's preventing most of the IR radiation from hitting the sensor. Removing the filter and putting in place a filter that allows ONLY the IR radiation in allows you to look through the viewfinder (since you don't need the over-lens filter anymore) and also a quick exposure.

The IR filter you attach over the lens allows only IR radiation in. The one on the hot glass over the sensor tries to block ALL IR radiation, but doesn't. The reason such a long exposure time is needed when you don't remove the hot glass filter is because it's preventing most of the IR radiation from hitting the sensor. Removing the filter and putting in place a filter that allows ONLY the IR radiation in allows you to look through the viewfinder (since you don't need the over-lens filter anymore) and also a quick exposure.
There are 2 types of filter. IR block filter, and IR pass filter. I believe the filter to put on front of lens for IR photography is IR pass filter.

Regards,
Arto.

I've got several.

And I like it because it makes my lens look nicer and more pro. I kinda doubt if it reeeeealllly would make a difference to my shots, but I'm a sucker for the psychological effect or brilliant marketing/advertising. If it makes me feel good, then I'm that bit more confident in my shooting. :D

any one use Hoya Pro1 Digital UV slim Filter? heard it it is very thin and has thread in front.
is it easy to clean?
I have to give up B+W as the slim version has no thread and i cannot mount my filter system.

any one use Hoya Pro1 Digital UV slim Filter? heard it it is very thin and has thread in front.
is it easy to clean?
I have to give up B+W as the slim version has no thread and i cannot mount my filter system.
is there really a need for such thin UV filter? most lenses I know do not vignette unless you stack more than 1...

is there really a need for such thin UV filter? most lenses I know do not vignette unless you stack more than 1...

i want to mount cokin Z-pro or Lee filters for 16-35 and 5D.
For 16-35 with 5D, it is black corner instead of vignetting (light off)

Status
Not open for further replies.