Hoya Len Filter?

SamTac

Jul 19, 2007
Hi all,

which filter should I buy? There are various types. I had read Hoya Filter but still dont understand.

Best regards.

Last edited:
what do you actually need? Hoya is just a brand, not a type. To find out what are the types, try google. Search for "types of lens filters" or something like tt. There are GND, ND, clear and UV filters. Read up on their uses first. Don't rush into getting any first though. :)

Posting this again here, hope it helps the newbies when buying filters.

Not all Hoya filters are made equal. Not all Hoya filters are priced equal. Not all Kenko filters are made equal. Not all Kenko filters are priced equal.

Know what you are buying.

Current models...

Hoya (from cheap to expensive):
Hoya both sides coated (single coating on each side)
Hoya HMC (Hoya Multicoated - basic multicoating)
Hoya SMC (discontinued?, Super Multicoated)
Hoya Pro1D (advanced multicoating optimized for digital)
Hoya HD (multicoated and hardened, scratch and oil resistant. around price levels of B+W MRC)

Kenko (from cheap to expensive):
Kenko standard filters (no coating),
Kenko MC (Basic Multicoated),
Kenko Pro1D (equivalent to Hoya Pro1D)
Kenko Zeta (equivalent to Hoya HD)

Hi, what is CPL? After read again still cant understand. Is the filter going to serve any purpose? Which one to buy for normal lens?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, what is CPL? After read again still cant understand. Is the filter going to serve any purpose? Which one to buy for normal len?

Thank you.

2 most common uses for CPL is to control the bluish of the sky colors on bright days as well as cutting through water/glass reflections (which means no reflections).

Hi, what is CPL? After read again still cant understand. Is the filter going to serve any purpose? Which one to buy for normal len?

Thank you.

What sinned79 said and its use to reduce haziness and saturate colours too. Also, its lens for singular and lenses for plural. Not len.

2 most common uses for CPL is to control the bluish of the sky colors on bright days as well as cutting through water/glass reflections (which means no reflections).

CPL & UV are 2 different things? Is either you buy CPL or UV filter?

Thank you.

What sinned79 said and its use to reduce haziness and saturate colours too. Also, its lens for singular and lenses for plural. Not len.

Thank you for correcting my spelling error.

CPL & UV are 2 different things? Is either you buy CPL or UV filter?

Thank you.

Yes they both serve different purposes, so you can have both. Just don't use both at the same time

Yes they both serve different purposes, so you can have both. Just don't use both at the same time

Which one is most common use? Buy 2 seem a lot of money.

Thank you.

Which one is most common use? Buy 2 seem a lot of money.

Thank you.

Hmm, I think you are still not sure about the functions of the filters, its not about which one is more common, its about what function you want. A UV filter serve more of a protective function and its a lot cheaper than a CPL.

Hmm, I think you are still not sure about the functions of the filters, its not about which one is more common, its about what function you want. A UV filter serve more of a protective function and its a lot cheaper than a CPL.

So CPL is not suitable for night shot?

Is this the one? HOYA

So CPL is not suitable for night shot?

I think you should read what Octarine had put up before you spend any money, you might regret if you spend recklessly now and Hoya is not the only brand available.

In school they give homework, right?
Here is yours: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm ;)
Please put some efforts in, don't expect spoonfeeding for each and every detail.

You are right. I read & yet dun understand. Just like a primary school student going to Uni.

I read before i post & not post without reading.

Not all human are equally smart.

Thank you.

You are right. I read & yet dun understand. Just like a primary school student going to Uni.

I read before i post & not post without reading.

Not all human are equally smart.

Thank you.

Take it slow, everyone started out not knowing about all these things too. A bit more time doing research before spending money is always recommended. Its hard earned money after all, don't buy something that you wouldn't use.:)