Hoya HMC filter

donut88

Nov 14, 2008
I'm abit confused over Hoya HMC filters.

They have UV (c) and UV (O) types.

So which is better?

Is (c) means made in china?

Someone had advised me about the difference. And may I quote his advise here.

A Representitive from Hoya answered the issue (O) vs (C). He stated physically the (C) series is a slimmer design than the (O) and that is to reduce vignetting even further and that is the only difference betwen O and C. Technically they will provide the exact same results and are the exact same quality.

When asked what the "O" or Zero represented and also the (C). He stated Japan has never advised him as to what the symbols reflected

I'm abit confused over Hoya HMC filters.

They have UV (c) and UV (O) types.

So which is better?

Is (c) means made in china?

I have used both on same lens, and three different lenses. I don't see much difference between uv(c) and uv(o).

An alternative answer found on the net, if you google....

I believe this filter difference calls for a bit of caution. I'm sorry this is so long but my experiences below certainly cleared up some things in my mind.

I did not know the difference in these filters except I could usually find the HMC UV(C) version cheaper than the HMC UV(0) version, that is when I could even find both versions for sale. Also I saw a filter test at UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com and that made me think the HMC UV(0) was the filter I wanted. I am most interested in filtering out the most ultraviolet frequencies right up to 390nm or 400nm where the visible light starts so the frequency transmission charts in their tests were very revealing for me.

I went to the Hoya web site at HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear They listed an email address for USA support at support@thkphoto.com I sent an email asking what the difference in these filters is. They seemed quite willing to help. I received a prompt reply from Glenn Nash saying...
"The HMC UV(0) has the UV protection in the glass, the HMC UV(C) has the UV protection in the multi-coatings."
Now I decided the HMC UV(0) was definitely the one I wanted.

I ordered a Hoya HMC UV filter from Crutchfield on 6/21/2011 for what seemed to be a pretty good price. In the text of the description it did not state which version the filter was but the picture of the item 'Very Clearly Showed' it was an HMC UV(0). So I ordered it thinking I was getting an HMC UV(0) filter but they sent an HMC UV(C) filter. I called them and they said to return it and they would send the HMC UV(0). After several days I received a phone call saying they only have the HMC UV(C) version and that it replaced the HMC UV(0) version. I didn't totally buy this so I went to the Hoya on line catalog and I could only find the HMC UV(0) version and no mention of the HMC UV(C) version, not sure what that means, maybe I just didn't find it. I told Crutchfield over the phone that their web site clearly showed the HMC UV(0) version in the item picture. They said again they did not have it and to return mine. I checked their site for other Hoya HMC UV filters and found more cases where the text did not say which version it was but the picture 'Very Clearly Showed' the item to be an HMC UV(0). This was true for the size I ordered, 77mm, and it was also true for 82mm, 72mm, 67mm, 62mm, 58mm and 52mm. I didn't check any smaller sizes. This has not been corrected as of 7/15/2011. I don't know which version they would send for these other sizes but I certainly do not believe the HMC UV(C) version is replacing the HMC UV(0) version. I believe the HMC UV(C) version is a cheaper filter - this is my personal opinion. I didn't bother to dig any further. I will just order my filter from another source. However I do know that searching will find quite a few instances of people ordering HMC UV(0) filters and receiving HMC UV(C) filters instead. One might think these are just honest mistakes but I could not find one instance of anyone ordering an HMC UV(C) filter and receiving an HMC UV(0) filter. Go figure.
Personally I would not tolerate any substituting of HMC UV(C) filters for HMC UV(0) filters.

And another.

I know this thread is very old, but I'm posting this here to help anyone else in the future who wants to ask this same question: What is the difference between Hoya UV(C), UV(N), and UV(0).

This is the first site that comes up when doing a Google search for "UV(C) UV(N)" so people who want an answer to the above question should find it easily.

I went to the hoya website HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear and found the email address for the company's US branch (support@thkphoto.com) on the homepage.

Here are the 6 emails that I sent and received, WORD FOR WORD...

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me what the difference is between the following two Hoya HMC UV filters...

UV (N)

UV (C)

I have read in various places on the internet that the UV (N) is the same as UV (C) except that UV (N) is made with "normal" glass, whereas UV (C) is made with "optical" glass. Is this true?

If this is the case, what is the difference between optical glass and normal glass?

Thanks
Jon

(from John Frerichs <support@thkphoto.com>)

They are both made of optical glass. The UV(C) has less lead content and is more environmentally-friendly.

Hi John,

Thanks for replying.

Are both the filters the same optically then? Do they have the same affect [sic] on the light that passes through them?

Thanks
Jon

Yes, they do.

ONE MORE QUESTION! - Sorry for hassling you, I'll leave you alone after this :O)

Is the UV(0) the same as the UV(N) and UV(C)?

Thanks, John!
Jon

Aside from some minor variances in the chemical composition of the glass, yes.

As you can see, there seems to be inconsistent answers to this, even from Hoya reps.

Frankly speaking, I don't think there is a huge huge substantial difference. If in doubt, just take the filter out if you want absolute image quality. No lens was designed to be best used with a filter over it. Period.

And a last alternative answer:

Any difference between UV(0) and UV(C) - Photo.net Accessories - Filters, Bags, Tripods Forum

V(0) filters are basic UV filters. UV Filters are also available in UV(A), UV(B) and UV(C). UV-A is the closest to visible light, and since filters aren't perfect, a UV(A) filter will also block some visible violet light as well as UV-A light. A UV(B) filter will block less violet light, and a UV(C) filter will block UV-C light but no violet light; it will, however, pass some UV-A and UV-B light as well.
I also read on another website from someone who wrote to Hoya asking about UV(N) filters. The response was that that the UV(N) filters were made for the Asian market and was not made from optical glass.

Thanks.

But after reading, I get even more confused. Lol

The thing is that Hoya website never has UV (C) series. This is the thing that is confusing.

Website never has UV (C), but yet vendors are all selling this. I hardly come across UV (O) series.

donut88 said:
Thanks.

But after reading, I get even more confused. Lol

The thing is that Hoya website never has UV (C) series. This is the thing that is confusing.

Website never has UV (C), but yet vendors are all selling this. I hardly come across UV (O) series.

Can't agree more.

Went to check my filter stock. Found 2 x (C) and 1 x (O). Difference?

Reflecting against a lamp. The C filters give the greenish reflection. The O filter is neutral, no colour tint in the reflection. No idea what this all means.

Since Hoya doesn't have a C filter, Maybe (C) means made by someone in China ?????? Better check it's Hoya and not Boya. ;-).

Can't agree more.

Reflecting against a lamp. The C filters give the greenish reflection. The O filter is neutral, no colour tint in the reflection. No idea what this all means.

Since Hoya doesn't have a C filter, Maybe (C) means made by someone in China ?????? Better check it's Hoya and not Boya. ;-).

That's what i'm afraid of.

(C) could mean Made in China.

I think i better look for (O) series or get higher grade like Super HMC series.

Even the filter test website tested only (O) series and results came up to be top no. 1. No mention of (C) series.

Can't agree more.

Like I said before, I won't fret too much about it, whether you have superior coating or not, adding a filter will naturally increase chances of ghosting, flaring, etc.

If you're paying the market price, then most Hoya filters will be alright. You just have to look out for flare/ghosting when the chance of these popping up arises, e.g. at night with concentrated light sources. Cheers.

i did some google search and there are ppl who asked the same question as me.

It looks like, according to what i found, is that (O) is made in Japan, and (C) is Made in Philippines. and (C) is the replacement of (O).

So in summary, HOYA is doing outsourced manufacturing, same as Toyota or Honda cars made in Thailand. LOL.

But in quality aspect, it's anyone's guess....... Some swear by Made in Japan cars, some says Made in Thailand cars are the same as Made in Japan.

Hoya HMC UV(0) vs Hoya HMC UV(c): Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hoya HMC UV(0) vs. HMC UV(C)? - Rangefinderforum.com

Finally, i found the HOYA catalog, and it contains info on (C) and (O). Page 19 and 24.

This catalogue also explains the rest of HOYA filters and the usefulness of them. Good for newbies to learn more about filters

http://www.hoyafilter.com/pdf/HOYACatalog.pdf

donut88 said:
Finally, i found the HOYA catalog, and it contains info on (C) and (O). Page 19 and 24.

This catalogue also explains the rest of HOYA filters and the usefulness of them. Good for newbies to learn more about filters

http://www.hoyafilter.com/pdf/HOYACatalog.pdf

Thanks bro. This will be very helpful.

I managed to get a UV (O) series filter. ;)

V hard to find......

Saw maxsaver.net having the hoya UV(o). Think it Super HMC series.

huatman said:
Saw maxsaver.net having the hoya UV(o). Think it Super HMC series.

Super HMC is also v hard to find. I hunt high and low in funan. Only one shop sell it, price $49 for 55mm.

daredevil123 said:
IIRC Super HMC has been discontinued.

No wonder. But one funan shop still got stock......

Those who still want it, grab it fast.

No wonder. But one funan shop still got stock......

Those who still want it, grab it fast.

It has been discontinued for quite a number of years. If that store has it, it means they have it there for quite a number of years already. Might as well get the Pro 1 D filters that replaced it, same coatings, same thin ring, plus you get front threads. And if you get Kenko Pro1d instead of Hoya pro1d, you save quite a few bucks as well.

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
It has been discontinued for quite a number of years. If that store has it, it means they have it there for quite a number of years already. Might as well get the Pro 1 D filters that replaced it, same coatings, same thin ring, plus you get front threads. And if you get Kenko Pro1d instead of Hoya pro1d, you save quite a few bucks as well.

Hmmm. It looks v new packaging. Clean and crisp. So not sure if it's old stock.

Talking abt kenko Pro1d, can u believe the price is just $24-$26 for 55mm? I was abit surprised by it.