Hoya Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

txv611

Deregistered
Aug 20, 2005
Fellow forumers,

Can advise wats the diff between normal Hoya UV filter and HMC filter?

Do one need HMC filter which is more costly?

Thanks

txv611 said:
Fellow forumers,

Thanks

The normal UV one is just a plain piece of glass and the coated one has an extra layer of coating of reduce flares.

The HMC ones (High Multi-Coated) are of cos more expensive as they employ more layers of coatings to improve image quality and further reduce flares.

Of cos better if have the HMC one but some like myself have just a normal coated one is enough. It depends on the individual.

Thanks Snoweagle, you are always one helpful enthusiast in this forum.

Buy the best filter you can afford. HMC or even S-HMC.

Why? Because once screwed on, it forms part of your optical system, and any system is only as good as its weakest link.

txv611 said:
Fellow forumers,

Thanks

txv611 said:
Fellow forumers,

Thanks

to really understand and see the difference. go to CP, ask any of the sales staff to show u the diff between a multi coated filter(b+w mrc or hoya hmc,shmc) and a normal uv. the difference is immediately noticeable on the spot.

in short, basically when u look thru a multi coated(those really good ones) u r like looking thru air. super clear(of cos subject to the state of the filter,i am comparing brand new ones taken from box with no fingerprints etc). when u look thru the cheap uv filters, u see some "reflection" and these i was told may cause flares.

also, digital cameras are designed for the light(RGB) to reach ur sensor at the same spot. the quality of ur filter will determine if any of the individual streams of light get refracted. if they are refracted, they may not hit the same spot, hence image suffers.

thats the little that i know, may or may not be correct

B+W filter easier to clean than Hoya :thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

Snoweagle said:
But they cost a lot more too.

But there's always a catch -> Quality

With B+W you can be assured that the piece of glass infront of your lens does not interfere with the photos you take. Just take a look around how many experienced photographers use B+W ...

dEthANGeL said:
But there's always a catch -> Quality

With B+W you can be assured that the piece of glass infront of your lens does not interfere with the photos you take. Just take a look around how many experienced photographers use B+W ...

Yupz, i've tried it with a 17-40L, very gd! It's the UV Haze MRC one.

harmony said:
How so? Curious to know...

I owned 2 types of filters before. If you have cleaned the B+W, it is much smoother to clean when using the lens tissue. The HMC tends to add a bit more friction. You have to test it out then you know the difference.

Having about half my lenses on B+W MRC filters and the other half on Hoya HMCs, I can safely say that, given the chance, I would have bought B+W filters from the start. They are so much easier to maintain due to the coating they use (which according to the website repells stuff, sorta like rainX that is used on car windshields).

My B+W filters can usually be cleaned with just a blower while the same sorta dirt on the Hoyas would required a lens cloth. Stuff like fingerprints on the B+Ws can simply be wiped off with a lens cloth while on the Hoya, it would require some cleaning solution (Eclipse) and lens tissues (pec pads) to rub off.. and the problem with Hoyas is that they will streak when u use cleaning solutions so it's quite a bit of work to get the filter spotless.

Denosha said:
Having about half my lenses on B+W MRC filters and the other half on Hoya HMCs, I can safely say that, given the chance, I would have bought B+W filters from the start. They are so much easier to maintain due to the coating they use (which according to the website repells stuff, sorta like rainX that is used on car windshields).

My B+W filters can usually be cleaned with just a blower while the same sorta dirt on the Hoyas would required a lens cloth. Stuff like fingerprints on the B+Ws can simply be wiped off with a lens cloth while on the Hoya, it would require some cleaning solution (Eclipse) and lens tissues (pec pads) to rub off.. and the problem with Hoyas is that they will streak when u use cleaning solutions so it's quite a bit of work to get the filter spotless.

I agree 100% I'm changing mine all to B+W.

waileong said:
Buy the best filter you can afford. HMC or even S-HMC.

Why? Because once screwed on, it forms part of your optical system, and any system is only as good as its weakest link.
Pardon my ignorance,
If I think my lens is a weak link then I don't really need to always buy the best filter even when I can afford. Right!

photoboy said:
Pardon my ignorance,
If I think my lens is a weak link then I don't really need to always buy the best filter even when I can afford. Right!

If you think the lens is lousy, then dun bother with a filter...

zac08 said:
photoboy said:
Pardon my ignorance,
If you think the lens is lousy, then dun bother with a filter...

If you have lousy lens, invest in good filter...bad plus bad equals worse...then save money for good lens...provided they use same filter size... ;)

theRBK said:
If you have lousy lens, invest in good filter...bad plus bad equals worse...then save money for good lens...provided they use same filter size... ;)

Eh... The purpose of a filter is to protect the lens elements and not cause too much light interference when taking the shot. my personal belief is not to use any filter at all as the filter size of the lower end ones are normally much smaller than those of the better ones (they would be bigger as they need a bigger size to allow more light in)

Thus my comment on not using any.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.