hoya filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kababoom

Nov 23, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
is there different quality for Hoya filters? i notice there are those mentioned as multi-coated while others doesn't. How to tell which are multi-coat or are all Hoya filter multi-coated?
thks for any info :)

Hoya filters come mainly in two fabrics regarding coating: single or multicoated. For multicoated ones there are several types as well, depending on the number of coating appllied. Many have problems cleaning HMC Hoya filters by the way, which however can be resolved by washing them in slightly warm water. They are all made from optical glass and are flat.

For wideangles one may use the ultra thin filters: two series available (one with and one without front filterthread), these are slightly more expensive.

Hong Sien

hongsien said:
Hoya filters come mainly in two fabrics regarding coating: single or multicoated. For multicoated ones there are several types as well, depending on the number of coating appllied. Many have problems cleaning HMC Hoya filters by the way, which however can be resolved by washing them in slightly warm water. They are all made from optical glass and are flat.

For wideangles one may use the ultra thin filters: two series available (one with and one without front filterthread), these are slightly more expensive.

Hong Sien

clarification. is HMC one of the multicoated ones? if yes, number of coatings on it? thanks

hongsien said:

Hong Sien
thks for the info but is there anyway to tell from the packing whether the Hoya filters are single or multi-coated.
As i've a Hoya UV filter but do not know what type of coating i've got

reachme2003 said:
clarification. is HMC one of the multicoated ones? if yes, number of coatings on it? thanks
HMC = multicoated, can read the Hoya catalogue or do a search for the Hoya site.....personally not interested in how many layers etc, as long as it is coated its enough for me..... you can look it up on the Net....it is there soemwhere.......

Hong Sien

kababoom said:
thks for the info but is there anyway to tell from the packing whether the Hoya filters are single or multi-coated.
As i've a Hoya UV filter but do not know what type of coating i've got
If it is not HMC then it is single coated.......

and there's of coz the super HMC....basically all are same except the amt and clarity of light they let pass...

put two diff UVs on a piece of white paper and u will understand wat i am talking about...

cheers...

OK for Hoya filters here goes. There are 5 series altogether.
Standard, HMC (Hoya Multi Coated), Super HMC, Pro 1 Filters and Ultra series.
All filters are coated, there is no such thing as no coating otherwise might as well get a pc of plain glass other than some special effects filters.

Standard = coatings applied on both side to suppress reflection and increase light transmission, not sure how many layers but will not be more than 12 coatings. Normally used for special effect filters.

HMC = coatings on both side, over 97% light transmission, not sure how many layers but will not be more than 12 coatings. Slightly more expensive.

SHMC = 12 layers coating (6 each side), over 99.7% light transmission

Pro 1 = 12 layers coating, over 99.7% light transmission. 40% weight saving compared to normal. Normally very thin with filter thread in front(3mm ring). Suitable for wide angle lens

Ultra = As above but without filter thread in front (3mm ring), Suitable for wide angle lens

In general if purchasing a UV filter or filter for protective purpose choose one that gives the best transmission hence the SHMC and above is suitable.
We sometimes prefer to have filters made by B&W or original manufacturer is because of the coatings of the filter and the manufacturer's effort into making the filter optical flat and the materials of the ring. Making a good filter is no different from making optical elements in a lens.
In short you pay for what you get.

So, it is
normal = normal
HMC = 97% transmission
SHMC = 99.7%
Pro1 = 99.7% and thinner

After thinking thru the prices of the SHMC & Pro 1 UV on the 77mm. I go for B & W, the price gap isn't that great on the higher level....

Yes, you pay wat you get and also wat you want to protect.

In my case is the L that I am going to protect, cannot compromise leh... will sound & look stupid + el cheapo.

Status
Not open for further replies.