HOYA filter performance against B+W, Surprising findings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pictograph

May 20, 2004
I was looking to buy good filters to accompany my recent lens investments and
(after a number of hours and countless pages wading through the internet highway..) i stumbled upon this website that test a number of different filters..

i know that many people here seems to favor B+W filter over Hoya, but according to the tests and key manufacturer's data Hoya seems to trump over B+W when it comes to performance especially light transmittance..(i'm not talking about build quality). :sweat:

This info might be useful for those who like me are confused over so many different grades of filter that Hoya are offering.. (after reading the numbers, apparently the new Pro-1 Digital filter doesn't seem better than Super HMC..) :dunno:

check out the comparison Here
Interesting + surprising findings about filter performance...

Interesting findings. :)

This might be useful for people who are caught in-between which filters to buy. :thumbsup:

btw, i decided to get Super-HMC for the value and quality.. don't mind the extra weight at the moment :bsmilie:

Interesting…so in that case, there is no significant benefit to get B+W over Hoya SHMC? I am not really bothered about the filter frame materials (brass or aluminum) since I think most lenses thread is not made of metals anyway. I never encountered any binding so far with my aluminum filters. The only other benefit is that B+W filters are supposed to be easier to clean? Anybody tried cleaning Hoya SHMC filters, are they just as easy to clean as B+W filters?

Yeah, there was a test done in a Taiwanese Photography magazine in 2006 or 2007, and it revealed that the flare performance of Hoya SMC Pro 1 is better than the B+W Multi-coated filter. It has photos that showed the difference, and it was quite evident.

Furthermore, the price of Hoya in Taiwan is about 2/3 the price of B+W, but the Hoya filter's glass is harder to clean. I damaged one before while cleaning it!

Status
Not open for further replies.