Hoya CPL + Cokin/Tianya P Holder

SkyStrike

Staff member
Nov 29, 2010
Somewhere
Hi CSers,

I was just wondering if CPL Filters can be used IN the Filter Holder (as in the first slot) or it must be screwed in front of the lens first, then the Filter holder in front of it?

As in
- Lens > CPL > Filter Adapter > Filter Holder > Filters
OR
- Lens > Filter Adapter > Filter Holder > CPL (in first slot) > Filters

If CPL can be used in the filter holder, do I need a slim (Pro1D) one or just a normal will do?

I couldn't find much info if the CPL can be placed in the holder or not....Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

To use a cpl in the slot, you need to get cokin's p series cpl. Don't bother with tianya's version, it is just too bad.

Hi daredevil123, Thanks for the quick reply.

I was about to get a Tianya filter pack (basic one, the one without CPL) but unsure if normal CPLs will work on the filter holder as I'm using a lens with rotating front element (18-55), so if possible, I would rather adjust the filter holder once than adjust CPL AND filter holder.

I would assume that CP will carry the P Series CPL...since they are selling other Cokin products. Will give them a call as well. (May not be getting CPL that soon but will be playing around more with the Filters first to see if CPL is needed.)

Thanks again.

I think I will probably do a order online via tago tech for Tianya. If the holder is really jialat, I will probably then get the Cokin one (prob will have to wait since OOS)

This set seems OK for the price as I'm still trying to out with filters. Probably after I know how to properly play with filters and know the diff between low end vs high end, i may upgrade to a better filter.

Tianya holder is a bit stiffer than the Cokin one, after a bit of use it should be ok. Harder to take out at the start, but it works fine.

Suggest you just get the NDs and the Graduated Grey, colored GND are not easy to use and are frankly, meant for film. Of course, you can get pleasing results, but the situations where it will work fine are few and far between.

SkyStrike said:
Hi daredevil123, Thanks for the quick reply.

I was about to get a Tianya filter pack (basic one, the one without CPL) but unsure if normal CPLs will work on the filter holder as I'm using a lens with rotating front element (18-55), so if possible, I would rather adjust the filter holder once than adjust CPL AND filter holder.

I would assume that CP will carry the P Series CPL...since they are selling other Cokin products. Will give them a call as well. (May not be getting CPL that soon but will be playing around more with the Filters first to see if CPL is needed.)

Thanks again.

I got my cokin cpl at OP. Slightly more exp but when you need it, you need it. CP seems to be perpetually OOS for cokin ND GND CPL.

I sold all my cokin stuff last year. But i still have a very old Cokin cpl. I use it handheld from time to time but very very seldom nowadays.

Last edited:
Tianya holder is a bit stiffer than the Cokin one, after a bit of use it should be ok. Harder to take out at the start, but it works fine.

Suggest you just get the NDs and the Graduated Grey, colored GND are not easy to use and are frankly, meant for film. Of course, you can get pleasing results, but the situations where it will work fine are few and far between.

I think I've read it somewhere in CS that only the Tianya's GND is more useful as its ND is not consistent (or something along that line), but for what it's worth, this pack seems good to me. (Gotta spend a little for tuition/learning fees to know what filters I will need in the future. Better spend on cheaper ones than expensive ones to throw one side when you know you dun need them:bsmilie:)

I got my cokin cpl at OP. Slightly more exp but when you need it, you need it. CP seems to be perpetually OOS for cokin ND GND CPL.

I sold all my cokin stuff last year. But i still have a very old Cokin cpl. I use it handheld from time to time but very very seldom nowadays.

Will keep OP in mind when I need the CPL or P holder. Thanks!

When I called CP last month, they said they'd been out of stock for over a month and could not give an estimate of when they would have stock (I asked about ND and GND).

Thanx for the tip that OP may have it too.