[HOWTO] - Using CS's search functions properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

etegration

Oct 14, 2003
http://360.itcow.com
360.itcow.com
Forums Searching. I would like to tell all about using it properly. Some of you may know, some may not.

If for example, you are looking (like me previously, the lense i want link is here. and i am looking to search for it 2nd handed) for a sigma 10-22mm, typing in sigma 10-20mm in CS's search function will give you a rather inaccurate result. It is of no fault of CS, it is the forum software and it behaves as such.

So we begin by searching, normally by what we think we're searching for. Simply entering sigma 10-22mm.

noquote_10_20mm.jpg

the results will be as follows:

noquote_10_20mm_results.sized.jpg

not very accurate...so you thought typing in the full model for example may yeild better results and thus, you key in 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM.

noquote_10_20mm_exactmodel_search.jpg

and the results...

noquote_10_20mm_exactmodel_search_results.sized.jpg

Slightly better but not as good and you have to scour through all the results. Here's what you should do.

Enter the exact model you are looking for but this time, include double quotes around the full text and then pick from the bottom right corner the specific Sub Forums you want to search, in this case, i am hunting for the Sigma Lense and do not want to read about reviews about it or other user's feedback, i just want to purchase it from fellow forums users/ members and so i choose the Sub Forum, Buy/Sell: Lenses and Flashes as below.

Quote_10_20mm_exactmodel_search.sized.jpg

This time, the forum's search function will return exact post by users. Note that it returns EXACT matches but do note that it is dependent of what the seller has keyed in. It's quite safe to search it this way as most users will at least provide an exact model number of what they sell.

Quote_10_20mm_exactmodel_search_results.sized.jpg

Further to this, if you know the user's nick that you specifically want to buy from, you can further filter the search by using the double quote way, select the Buy/Sell: Lenses and Flashes sub forums and also, entering his or her nick into the top right blank and you will give you a very detailed and specific result. You can of course also play around with the search function, your only limit is the time limit each forum may enforce, such as CS, they've only allowed only a search per 30 secs. You can also leave everything blank and search for my nick in the top right field and you'll see all the posts i have made thus far.

Remember, the above tip not only applies to CS's forums but any forums that runs vBulletin including http://forums.hardwarezone.com
and .Vr Forums.

Hope you now know how to use the search function to it's fullest.

Searching when text is too short?

Searching with ndp (National Day Parade)

as1.jpg

WHen the results returns nothing but you know there's posts relating to what you are trying to search...

as2.jpg

Search for the same term, ndp but add a asterix (*).

as3.jpg

Results galore!

as4.jpg

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.