How's this MBS snap of all what you have seen

sandeepro

Mar 25, 2011
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and lighting.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I have seen many MBS pics posted by CSers. I have tried to read through the forum, comments and analyse the pics. I am pretty newbie to photography and I must say CS forums are providing good platform for learning including many others. I personally enticed by the Helix and clarity of it in some of the posts. What I tried to achieve, is to achieve what i have seen.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Late evening.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally I feel that this is probably the best photo that I have taken so far. In this photo, i specially liked the shadow of Helix and clarity around it. Having said so, this is all taken with very basic setup, D3100 18-55mm kit lens. Also, this is completely a non-edited version. :lovegrin:

FB link:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/f...18853880.45625.175408365841862&type=1&theater

Last edited:
Composition: stand closer to the bridge and use a wide angle lens to give sense of vertical lines of the bridge. otherwise its reasonable good. maybe crop off the extreme right as there's sth there.
Night cityscape requires u to do long shutter speed. yr photos show tt its quite sharp. But hard to tell unless we look at this 100% crop.

I agree with you that the sharpness is there. But I feel the color temperature is too warm. Did you do that on purpose?

I have taken snap in RAW format and converted into VI mode while converting to JPEG. Haven't enhanced any color temperature as such.

Angle selected is not one of the better angles to shoot this scene. Horizon is tilted to the left of the picture. WB is way to warm. certain parts of the scene is overexposed. And probably the wrong time to take this photo.

Try shooting from the area under or behind the helix bridge. Use a wider lens. And make sure your camera is level. If you are not sure how, get a spirit level. And since you shoot in RAW, at least try to adjust the WB to what you remember as the color you saw with your own eyes.

Thanks alot Gents. Your comments will help me to learn.

Sandeepro, for unedited picture and kit lens this picture is already nice.....however I always believe that once we satisfied with our picture, that's the time where we stop learning and never improve again :)
So if I'm in your position, after seeing this pic, I'll do the following to improve the picture
1. To get better lighting and color balance, I'll go again to the same area during sunset or post sunset to get the blue ambience in the sky (probably ard 7-8pm). The blue color in the sky + yellow MBS + purple helix I feel will complement each other and balance the whole color
2. For composition, I'll cut a bit of the right side and take more on the left side to get more of the bridge and more leading lines feeling... so my format will be 16:9 instead of 3:2 or 4:3. If the lens can't take that wide, I'll take several shot and stitch it together
3. Before pressing the shutter, I'll make sure the horizontal and vertical allignment
4. As for the PP, i'll burn or reduce the exposure on the MSB Exhibition Hall area, coz the bright yellow light is quite distracting and prominent

That's my personal opinion, feel free to give your feedback also if you disagree with some of my points. Through discussion like this we can learn more and more :D

Hey Campoes,
Thanks alot mate. U have provided me lot of input and I shall try it out. Also would like to mention that I am not undermining the importance and effect of pp. Actually I'm still not that knowledgeable to make such calls ;)
My intention was to get my unedited version evaluated. I have got very fair comments on composition, colors and angle which I shall try next time.

Cheers folks. U guys rocks !!!

I know you're asking for critique but this angle (or somewhere from the spot you stand) has been taken to death. Sorry, just my honest opinion

I know you're asking for critique but this angle (or somewhere from the spot you stand) has been taken to death. Sorry, just my honest opinion

Actually shooting a scene that has been "taken to death" is good practice. Because it is overshot, it means there are many examples to review, and to learn from. So after you have shot the same scene yourself, you can see what others did, and compare and learn.

i believe for scenes that have been "shot to death", the shooter have to first identify which are the scenes that have been "shot to death" in the first place. but of course there are many ways in getting around that.. looking for other alternative creative angles to shoot from might also help.

but of course, the scenes are "shot to death" for obvious reasons. find a perfect example and seek to do better in terms of techniques and post-processing.

these opinions are my humble 2 cents.

cheers!