How's the job market now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding Shan Ben

May 6, 2005
Hong Kong
Having my final exam now at SIM. Will be looking for job soon. How's the job market now for degree in banking and finance???

What do you think?

jbma said:
What do you think?

I have absolutely NO IDEA as I haven't even started finding job yet.

I am too obsessed surfing the Internet and studying exams at the same time. :confused:

go thru the Recruitment and see the no of offerings available lor

Ding Shan Ben said:
I have absolutely NO IDEA as I haven't even started finding job yet.

I am too obsessed surfing the Internet and studying exams at the same time. :confused:

Ding Shan Ben said:
Having my final exam now at SIM. Will be looking for job soon. How's the job market now for degree in banking and finance???

You so damn rich, i am asking job from you also, how, your jewellery want to shoot or not??? :)

read last sunday times' report on job situation for new grads. still 3 months contract. looking ahead, the situation is likely to be the same or gets worse. cheer up.

reachme2003 said:
read last sunday times' report on job situation for new grads. still 3 months contract. looking ahead, the situation is likely to be the same or gets worse. cheer up.

Huh really??? :eek:

I thought the situation has improved tremendously since few years ago?

I don't mind contract as long as pay is OK. Hope to get at least 2.7K, possible???

Ding Shan Ben said:

I don't mind contract as long as pay is OK. Hope to get at least 2.7K, possible???

haha.. first year.. impossible... if u get a 1.5k be contented liao... better den no job....

very hard for companies to offer 2.7k at the beginning of ur job. 2.7k i believe belongs to the salary rate of junior managers...

glennyong said:
haha.. first year.. impossible... if u get a 1.5k be contented liao... better den no job....

very hard for companies to offer 2.7k at the beginning of ur job. 2.7k i believe belongs to the salary rate of junior managers...

2.7K for J Mgr :eek:

That time I went SIM, my friend as fresh grad engineer got 2.8K... I know economy was bad later and I thought now has recovered quite a fair bit already.

Since cannot get 2.x K?? oh.....

1.5k seems very little. When I worked with a poly diploma, I got 1.7K in 1998.

I really thought that my 3 years in SIM , by the time I graduated this year, economy would be nearly to the old days.

Ding Shan Ben said:

* togu bring in a pail of icy cold water...

Not to disappoint you, but you should understand the fact that having a SIM degree only makes you slightly better then a poly grad. Just strectch your hand out along ORchard Road on a Sunday afternoon and see how many degree holders you can find.

You should be thinking more on with your Banking and Finance Deg, whether you can secure a job, rather then if you can draw 2.7k. Perhaps you can try something like investments planners, relationship managers positions, probably by working 24/7, post less boliao polls, you do stand a chance to earn 2.5k per mth tho.

My $0.02 :think:

Ding Shan Ben said:

That time I went SIM, my friend as fresh grad engineer got 2.8K... I know economy was bad later and I thought now has recovered quite a fair bit already.

I really thought that my 3 years in SIM , by the time I graduated this year, economy would be nearly to the old days.

:think:

You won't find 1.5k little, if you are jobless for 3 mths.

Selling nasi lemak also can earn big money, don't even need a poly cert.

Ding Shan Ben said:

seee... even togu also spoke up liao.. the market is very competitive now because of cheaper foreign talents....

engineer is different. a experience and talents and some contacts will bring u very far.... whereas in the banking and finance sector. quite hard..even if u gt contacts.. also no use..

togu said:
* togu bring in a pail of icy cold water...

Not to disappoint you, but you should understand the fact that having a SIM degree only makes you slightly better then a poly grad. Just strectch your hand out along ORchard Road on a Sunday afternoon and see how many degree holders you can find.

You should be thinking more on with your Banking and Finance Deg, whether you can secure a job, rather then if you can draw 2.7k. Perhaps you can try something like investments planners, relationship managers positions, probably by working 24/7, post less boliao polls, you do stand a chance to earn 2.5k per mth tho.

My $0.02 :think:

a heavy dose of reality. time to wake up!

Foreign talents? Hardly, more like foreign crap ;p

There's over supply of workforce now, and since most coys are looking at outsourcing to lower costs, local market has dropped quite badly.

Degree holders take dip grad pay, dip grad take O level pay. You'll be lucky as mentioned by togu if you can get 1.5K in ur job now as starting pay.

Btw, don't bother referring to the employment guide on MOM or something... the figures aren't realistic anymore.

Wish you all the best.

OK, I am in the Real World now! :cry:

So, if I dun mind, I mean, I really dun mind pay as I have no choice, I dun think I will be unemployed for more than 3 months leh. 3 months seems long and with hardworkingly sending CVs and going for interviews, within 3 months should secure some job I think.

BTW, I never post bo liao polls as my account is still Newbie, cannot create poll.

Ding Shan Ben said:
OK, I am in the Real World now! :cry:

So, if I dun mind, I mean, I really dun mind pay as I have no choice, I dun think I will be unemployed for more than 3 months leh. 3 months seems long and with hardworkingly sending CVs and going for interviews, within 3 months should secure some job I think.

BTW, I never post bo liao polls as my account is still Newbie, cannot create poll.

between then and now is no more than 15 minutes. you do not know what is like in the real world till you are in it. do cheer up.

Correction, you'll still need luck to find a job that pays 1.5K. Don't forget, diploma grads are taking up jobs at 1.2K so chances are they can still be hired cos they're cheaper!

"Had more kids..." or so some organization says...right.

espn said:
Foreign talents? Hardly, more like foreign crap ;p

There's over supply of workforce now, and since most coys are looking at outsourcing to lower costs, local market has dropped quite badly.

Degree holders take dip grad pay, dip grad take O level pay. You'll be lucky as mentioned by togu if you can get 1.5K in ur job now as starting pay.

Btw, don't bother referring to the employment guide on MOM or something... the figures aren't realistic anymore.

Wish you all the best.

figures not realistic? But I thought they figures are gathered from the market or some survey right?

Status
Not open for further replies.