How would you recommend camera for a noob?

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
This gal wants to buy a camera and is less likely to buy additional lenses. What I'm trying to achieve for her is to have good photo quality in lowlight.

For the same price, would u advise getting compact that is f2.0 or a micro4/3 that has a very good sensor?

RX100mkII (one of the best compact camera out there), cannot change lens, excellence IQ even in low light, fast AF, small and light.

EM-5 with 25mm F1.4

Last edited:
This gal wants to buy a camera and is less likely to buy additional lenses. What I'm trying to achieve for her is to have good photo quality in lowlight.

For the same price, would u advise getting compact that is f2.0 or a micro4/3 that has a very good sensor?

I'd recommend both, outline the pros/cons of each option, and ask this person to physically handle both cameras.

I think people are misinterpreting what TS meant. Think he just wants to choose between a compact camera with a large aperture and a M4/3. I guess it depends on the kit lens that come with the latter. Perhaps you could list down the 2 models you are considering?

Something like xz-10 and epl5

Less likely to buy additional lenses and low light shooting implies the slower kit lenses isn't going to cut it, unless u r willing to top up a bit more for a good MFT body like the EPL5 or EP5 and get a faster zoom like the 12-35/2.8 or 12-40/2.8. Primes wise u have a lot if choices like the 17/1.8 within MFT.

Obviously the MFT setup will give u higher quality and better low light performance but I'd say RX100ii if not so much coming to budget and a very good point and shoot , without much fiddling with controls experience is what u wish for.

Last edited:

Shouldn't you be getting the EPL6 instead of the 5? Or are you buying from overseas?

I will vote for the mirrorless option.

How good of a quality and how low of light, it is subjective. But what I'm thinking is, if you get a compact, even with a bright lens, it can only go so much.

With the larger sensor of the mirrorless cameras, then you get a nice bright lens. It'll be good. The only con I can think of in this setup is the lack of zoom. Bright zooms are pretty bulky. And longer zooms may have smaller apertures.

It's a lot of balancing to consider, and we can only recommend that much.

Take some time to consider :)

Two totally different camera system in everything... from sensor size to handling. The XZ-10 had even smaller sensor size as compared to the XZ-2.

Okay... to get things into easier perspective.

XZ-10,

- Compact camera with 1/2.3" sensor
- Small overall size
- Easy to carry around without the hassle of changing lens and can fit into your pants if you have a baggy pants.
- Lowlight - not that good.

EPL5/6

- m4/3 sensor camera
- Average to good dynamic range
- Great lowlight performance
- Can change lenses (which can be a hassle, but open out much much more opportunity and flexibility)
- Bigger than most compact camera, and depending on the lens size... you might not be able to fit it into your pants... even of you have big big pocket.

At the moment no money to buy better lenses and probably will never buy, even a prime lens. Gals don't like prime lenses and not willing to spend on better bright zooms.

At the moment no money to buy better lenses and probably will never buy, even a prime lens. Gals don't like prime lenses and not willing to spend on better bright zooms.

With EPL5/6 and kit lens which you will never upgrade. Why don't you just buy the RX100mkII? Smaller, lighter, great image quality, good in all aspects. If you find XZ-10 quality to be acceptable and had the budget for the EPL5/6 (which you will never upgrade lenses), you will find RX100mkII a great camera that you will never need to upgrade lenses.

Secondly... maybe your friend doesn't like prime lenses, but not all gals doesn't like prime lenses, I happen to know a couple of female friends that will not use zoom lenses and stick to prime lenses ;)

Olympus compact cameras (and maybe their mirrorless) have crazy noisy reduction algorithm for their jpegs. Things sucked pretty bad for my xz-1 above iso 200, despite f1.8, let alone the xz-10.

Rx100(ii) gets my vote. Or the nex3n with large sensor and small compact zoom lens, and flip screen for selfies. And it comes in pink (assuming ur female friend likes pink)

Then I think u r really very clear on your needs.
I give u the choices (all which I tried and as such dare to recommended)

RX100ii (mainly the model most people will recommend due to sensor size, I didn't like the controls - so do try and see)

Olympus Stylus 1 (newest kid on the block, f2.8 constant from 28mm to 300mm with really easy to manage controls, superb viewfinder)

Leica DLux 6 ,( f1.4 to f2.3, expensive yes but u r considering the RX too. Superb colors and with built in ND filter)

X20 (felt best to hold in my hands, OVF is superb. Not so good performance in low light)

Bro, tink u're looking for digital+ rather den $,
Best is S4zoom, it's a mini S4+opticle zoom,(can act as a hp,shoot wherever u r)
They(most of them) like to upload n update their FB or something looking good, dis is something which I tink they'll really like, Shoot, edit, upload & send by watsapp or something, within minutes.
Btw you're very correct, no beginner would spend a lot on something they're not familiar with,
But it's just me

Olympus Stylus 1 (newest kid on the block, f2.8 constant from 28mm to 300mm with really easy to manage controls, superb viewfinder)

Yes...this is one good camera to consider too, completely slipped my mind.

Olympus epm1/2 i think is best for gals. its small compact micro4/3 without much dials most touch screen selection