How would you produce your exhibition style prints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsenGrim

Jan 28, 2008
?

I mean lets say for A3+ sizes etc.

• Would you get your own A3+ printer and make sure your prints are what you want?
  • Would you send it to a recommended color lab?
  • Would you send it to a pro-printer (not sure of this term, but those that produce high quality albums and such)?

Or if its Super8R size (8' by 12'), would you use the same choice as above?

I've not printed any exhibition style prints b4, but definitely professional photo lab with special photo paper... printing on your own don't get you good enough quality most of the time, unless you've invested in expensive printers/paper/ink.

ooo hmmmm.....ic ic..

looks like sending to photolab/press is the way to go...just wanna do my best since its my first and last chance to enter the sypa. (growing OLD LA)

You need to provide a couple of shots for a lab to print. You can then compare what you see on your monitor to the physical output and judge from there. Ask the lab to perform zero post processing before printing. I say this as I have seen some labs tweaking files prior to print.

You would have control if you self-print and as stated it is expensive, but some are willing to spend $$$ so they can have said control.

Let my local pro lab print them for me as they print the majority of my work on a Durst Lambda using photographic paper.

?

I mean lets say for A3+ sizes etc.

• Would you get your own A3+ printer and make sure your prints are what you want?
  • Would you send it to a recommended color lab?
  • Would you send it to a pro-printer (not sure of this term, but those that produce high quality albums and such)?

Or if its Super8R size (8' by 12'), would you use the same choice as above?

If it is just S8R, let the shop do it. Maintaining a printer is a bit troublesome unless you are printing a lot regularly.

Printer head clog up after some times with little or no use. An advantages of home printer is that you can print naughty pictures :devil:

Hmm, on a side note, im not exactly sure what is proofing and how can it help me. or how do i do a proof print etc. can anyone point me in the right direction? im very inclined to learn.

You need to provide a couple of shots for a lab to print. You can then compare what you see on your monitor to the physical output and judge from there. Ask the lab to perform zero post processing before printing. I say this as I have seen some labs tweaking files prior to print.

You would have control if you self-print and as stated it is expensive, but some are willing to spend $$$ so they can have said control.

OOo So, do I send them my adobeRGB files? or convert to sRGB?

Let my local pro lab print them for me as they print the majority of my work on a Durst Lambda using photographic paper.

hahah i dont even know what the labs here are using, but i'll try the one at brasbasar, the shalomb one

If it is just S8R, let the shop do it. Maintaining a printer is a bit troublesome unless you are printing a lot regularly.

Printer head clog up after some times with little or no use. An advantages of home printer is that you can print naughty pictures :devil:

Wah I like your Style HHAHAH

Hmm, on a side note, im not exactly sure what is proofing and how can it help me. or how do i do a proof print etc. can anyone point me in the right direction? im very inclined to learn.

hahah i dont even know what the labs here are using, but i'll try the one at brasbasar, the shalomb one

Most likely AdobeRGB however best to confirm with the lab.

u need to set the pic to your lab printer profile as well. proofing if u doing big scale prints la. one piece u also want to proof unless u super rich.

u need to set the pic to your lab printer profile as well. proofing if u doing big scale prints la. one piece u also want to proof unless u super rich.
i need to set ar. means i convert to their lab profile before sending. aye, once asked shalomb about it, they say they dont have the profile for us to d/l. maybe i'll ask other labs then.

hmm gotta read up about proofing then, even though im not gonna use but i guess i need to satisfy my thirst for knowledge

i need to set ar. means i convert to their lab profile before sending. aye, once asked shalomb about it, they say they dont have the profile for us to d/l. maybe i'll ask other labs then.

hmm gotta read up about proofing then, even though im not gonna use but i guess i need to satisfy my thirst for knowledge

Seems like you know a fair bit about the process already... :dunno:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=602839

Seems like you know a fair bit about the process already... :dunno:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=602839
Im sure about the procedures i need to do for web publishing and inkjet printing.

but the guy at the end say dont use CMYK for lab, just use sRGB. but sRGB's colorspace is so small... so im not sure on the lab printing part.

and he talked about proofing and matching and ..?? im confounded on that one.

yeah. i mean if u wanna be anal abt it, then i guess u want to set it to the printer profile of course. proofing more or less means u do a test print then match it to what your monitor show then keep adjusting until u get what your monitor shows. basically its to make sure the color is true. we do it for publishing but then we print > 10,000 copies each print run.

yeah. i mean if u wanna be anal abt it, then i guess u want to set it to the printer profile of course. proofing more or less means u do a test print then match it to what your monitor show then keep adjusting until u get what your monitor shows. basically its to make sure the color is true. we do it for publishing but then we print > 10,000 copies each print run.
OhhhhHhh

Thank you very much! that cleared up alot of cloud in my head hahhahaa. thanks for all your inputs man. now i know whats going on and what i need to do. =D

Thanks!

photolab........

you want to know how much a (really) good photo printer costs?

for exhibition style prints, a lab print will not meet the artist's demands most of the time, unless it is your intention to showcase your finest works on generic lab print papers.

and yes, real exhibition prints can cost quite a bit.

for exhibition style prints, a lab print will not meet the artist's demands most of the time, unless it is your intention to showcase your finest works on generic lab print papers.

and yes, real exhibition prints can cost quite a bit.

Actually that's not true.

http://www.avs.com.sg/

If i want to make the best prints, i swear by them. No where else. I have had my exhibition prints printed by them and since then, i can't be bothered going any where else for prinitng liao.

They also happen to be sponsors for sipf 2010.

Actually that's not true.

http://www.avs.com.sg/

If i want to make the best prints, i swear by them. No where else. I have had my exhibition prints printed by them and since then, i can't be bothered going any where else for prinitng liao.

They also happen to be sponsors for sipf 2010.
so you go to labs that use their printers? like those listed on their web?

Colour Products
Akatsuki Pte Ltd
51 Bukit Batok Crescent , #08-11, Unity Centre
Singapore 658077
Tel: +65 – 6316 7948
Fax: +65 – 6316 7142
CAS Technology
10 Ubi Crescent
#05-51/52, Ubi Techpark (Lobby C) Singapore 408564
Tel: +65 – 6785 5682
Fax: +65 – 6742 9897

Status