how would you market pentax in singapore?

pendora

Jun 8, 2011
Singapore North and West
Imagine you are tasked to market pentax in singapore. You will need to face the overwhelming canikon branding and salesman who are too lazy to explain the cameras of each brand but simply just advise canikon.

Product k30 and the upcoming new model

You are tasked to double sales. Any marketing and branding personnel out there?

Imagine you are tasked to market pentax in singapore. You will need to face the overwhelming canikon branding and salesman who are too lazy to explain the cameras of each brand but simply just advise canikon.

Product k30 and the upcoming new model

You are tasked to double sales. Any marketing and branding personnel out there?

Very simple, just do the 4 things here.

1. Creating awareness through the Pentaxian Singapore group, why ?
- they are your early adopters whom you have neglected, of course now with Pentax facebook and website, the early adopters get some attention.
- they represent Pentaxian holding on the belief that Pentax make good quality lenses- my friend Nikon just complaint to me of carrying a D7000 / 105mmVR / Fish eye /Flash / almost broke his back after one hour shooting.
- they take risk while others follow the canikon flow
- they develop new ways of using the Pentax camera
- they give ideas to Pentax
- they find their own Pentax T-shirt at Uniglo

2. Pentax need to understand the Singapore market more, how ?, by telling the benefits of Pentax which is unique
- no one except the Pentaxian knows that Pentax camera is easier to operate, its lighter, always brought along and not left at home
- the market just does not understand the benefit of weather sealed- which other camera is weather sealed at this price category ?
- the ladies loves Pentax, as they can't handle the weight of the canikon heavy weights if they want the same picture quality
- a westerner or big sized person holding a big Canikon looks proportional, an Asian look more proportional holding a Pentax

3. Pentax need to keep their loyal customers
- Release the FF soon, the early adopters are all waiting with their lenses, like on the 100m sprint to get the first FF Pentax
- Sales price drop once in a while- already doing great keep it up, like the Pentax Q ???
- Offer photos prices to great photography
- Pentax scholarship

4. Generate higher interest
- arrange annual gathering of the Pentaxians - Talks, networking with users , hands on demonstrations, ...
- ??

PhilipKr35 said:
Very simple, just do the 4 things here.

1. Creating awareness through the Pentaxian Singapore group, why ?
- they are your early adopters whom you have neglected, of course now with Pentax facebook and website, the early adopters get some attention.
- they represent Pentaxian holding on the belief that Pentax make good quality lenses- my friend Nikon just complaint to me of carrying a D7000 / 105mmVR / Fish eye /Flash / almost broke his back after one hour shooting.
- they take risk while others follow the canikon flow
- they develop new ways of using the Pentax camera
- they give ideas to Pentax
- they find their own Pentax T-shirt at Uniglo

2. Pentax need to understand the Singapore market more, how ?, by telling the benefits of Pentax which is unique
- no one except the Pentaxian knows that Pentax camera is easier to operate, its lighter, always brought along and not left at home
- the market just does not understand the benefit of weather sealed- which other camera is weather sealed at this price category ?
- the ladies loves Pentax, as they can't handle the weight of the canikon heavy weights if they want the same picture quality
- a westerner or big sized person holding a big Canikon looks proportional, an Asian look more proportional holding a Pentax

3. Pentax need to keep their loyal customers
- Release the FF soon, the early adopters are all waiting with their lenses, like on the 100m sprint to get the first FF Pentax
- Sales price drop once in a while- already doing great keep it up, like the Pentax Q ???
- Offer photos prices to great photography
- Pentax scholarship

4. Generate higher interest
- arrange annual gathering of the Pentaxians - Talks, networking with users , hands on demonstrations, ...
- ??

I think pentax is also not easily available. We dont see it at courts or other departmental stores. The awareness is no there yet, salesperson will be so laxy that they would only say "if you shoot landscape buy canon, if you shootprotraits buynikon." I seen buyers just convinced by this sttment. Quite ignorance.

When someone ask the salesperson about thecolorful kr, the salesperson just replied "aiya you where got see professional photogrpher use colorful camera one, these are lousy cameras to con youngsters" just made my blood boils as i am a proud owner of a white kr.

When someone ask the salesperson about thecolorful kr, the salesperson just replied "aiya you where got see professional photogrpher use colorful camera one, these are lousy cameras to con youngsters" just made my blood boils as i am a proud owner of a white kr.

To be fair, the first part is true mar. Professional photographers probably do not use colorful cameras. :)

To be fair, the first part is true mar. Professional photographers probably do not use colorful cameras. :)
Hasselblad has a space version of ELM

c9a1fc4a-ebaa-4682-9936-74c2a0380347-500_ELM_70.jpg

and a special Ferrari Edition

clip_image002%5B11%5D.jpg

:)

Pentax has been doing a lot better than 3 years back when we couldn't even find lenses like FA limited, even DA* or DA limited lenses were not easily available then. But now you can easily buy pretty much any Pentax lens here in some local shops.

Of course Pentax still can't compete w/ CNS, not just here in Singapore but elsewhere too. Right now Pentax is just a small player in digital camera era. They've been playing catch-up game ever since auto focus cameras became mainstream. We all want to see Pentax doing much better, but it's not just a plain marketing problem, but also lack of service everywhere except Japan probably. And Pentax needs to boost its production range as well so to gain even more users. Currently Pentax is only play in niche market: good camera gear for outdoosy and p&s upgraders.

Ever since Ricoh took over, there've been a lot changes in Pentax, I'm sure we'd see some exciting products in the months that come. They've started to put more effort in marketing as well. Let's hope Pentax can improve its service.

But to be honest, I don't think Pentax ever can compete CNS as far as market share is concerned, not in foreseeable years.

Don't need to over think.

YOU!
Are the best marketing.
Just take more photos, improve skills and post them in the other photo sub-sections.
Tell your friends you use a Pentax.
Show them what the camera can produce.

You become a better photographer in the long run,
Ppl get to know of Pentax,
When these folks get a Pentax, they get a good deal, value for money camera,
Pentax/distro makes money and stays viable for me and YOU in the long run.
Its a triple Win.,

So...bottom line.
Just take more photos (and post them) :D

Last edited:
IMM Best Denki has full Pentax range, K5,K30 , Kr,K-01, Q, Optio,WG-2. Lens are limited as the shop cannot carry all ranges. Prices however mostly higher than Pentax Webstore, only WG-2 was $50 cheaper than Webstore.

I think basic rule of marketing is that to be able to create a new or different platform, different or better than the competition. Never say never, everyone gets a turn of tide chance if Pentax continue to work with the early adopters.

1 . I was tempted with K-30 when the webstore came back, the price is really good for the camera, but now is much more expensive, i know its GSS but it's a good start if they are serious
2. Service center is a very big decision for me
3. I see Pentax community is very close each other, it's an appeal to join such community as you guys
4. joking...if Singapore rain everyday then everyone need WR camera :D

1 . I was tempted with K-30 when the webstore came back, the price is really good for the camera, but now is much more expensive, i know its GSS but it's a good start if they are serious
3. I see Pentax community is very close each other, it's an appeal to join such community as you guys
4. joking...if Singapore rain everyday then everyone need WR camera :D

1. GSS pricing cannot be compared to current pricing.
2. Emjay has been doing a great job so far.
3. Yes, we are a happy bunch and glad you are joining this bunch.
4. Well, it does rain from November to February but nowadays even up to May . . .

Just for your info, Emjay Pentax service center will be moved to a new location from 15th Sept. 2012:

2 Kallang Pudding Road (off MacPherson Road)
#06-05, Mactech Industrial Building
Tel: +65 67478274
Operating Hours; 9.30-6.00 PM, Monday - Friday
Lunch: 12.00-1.00 PM (Closed)
Saturday: 10.00 - 12.30 PM

Hope we'd see some improvement on Pentax service.

Just for your info, Emjay Pentax service center will be moved to a new location from 15th Sept. 2012:

This is good... no need to pay ERP and high parking charges to get into the CBD.

fengwei said:

good to see that operations will be extended to Sat. that will be convenient for ppl who cannot afford to go down during weekdays.

Pentax needs a marquee / title event every year on such scale that even people living overseas would know about it. Something like Canon Photo Marathon. This event will not likely be an overnight success but it will surely build in the coming years. Question will be if Pentax will give the funds for such a large scale event. Strategic product placement is also a good follow up option.