how would you like to be corrected for grammatical mistakes?

How do you wish to be corrected for grammatical mistakes?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimcraze

question and options as stated in the poll.

please note - i am not referring to Singlish. I am referring to grammatical errors such as sheep instead of sheeps, luggage instead of luggages, etc.

enjoy.

:bsmilie: LOL! Thish ish sos funnies.

Hahha.. so farnie!! I guess for me, it depends on the situation...
For formal discussions... it may be important to use proper english...

But for chitchat, etc.. I usually lapse into singlish, farnie toks, etc..
I wonder will anyone ever correct me on my singlish?? :bigeyes:

no...i had to delete the thread because i forgot to add a poll....

Thanks for the clarifikation. As I said perversely......

As long as you kong Singlish, there is no 'grammatikal errah' lor :bsmilie:

Ashleyy said:
Hahha.. so farnie!! I guess for me, it depends on the situation...
For formal discussions... it may be important to use proper english...

But for chitchat, etc.. I usually lapse into singlish, farnie toks, etc..
I wonder will anyone ever correct me on my singlish?? :bigeyes:

singlish cannot be corrected as i am not too sure if there are rules in singlish! :bsmilie:

i am referring to basic grammatical errors such as sheep instead of sheeps, luggage instead of luggages etc.

swimcraze said:
singlish cannot be corrected as i am not too sure if there are rules in singlish! :bsmilie:

i am referring to basic grammatical errors such as sheep instead of sheeps, luggage instead of luggages etc.

i dunno abt dat.. mabbe me singlish too powderful 2 make such mistakes?? :bsmilie:

Grammatical errors? Pooi! My English is the goodest.

Hi Swimcraze,

You asked:
If you had made a grammatical mistake, would you rather
1) be corrected by a person in a straight forward/direct/matter of fact manner when in private or 2) be corrected by a person who tries to make a joke out of it when in private (so that don't seem so teacher-like). Which do you prefer and why?

thank you.
-----

My answer to you is ...

If the main issue here is to be "taught in private", then it should not be a real issue, right? (e.g. few people get to know you're being taught by so-and-so).

-- "don't seem so teacher-like".

You like to be taught but does not like it to be too much of a teacher-to-student teaching session. This may be tough. But then again, it depends on how badly you want to learn from this "teacher". And if your teacher's teaching style doesn't suit you, are you still willing to learn from this person without getting defensive or upset?
If your answer is yes, then it does not matter whether you are being taught using method 1 or 2. Your acceptance largely depends on your personal character. I hope this helps ;)

philshots said:
My answer to you is ...

If the main issue here is to be "taught in private", then it should not be a real issue, right? (e.g. few people get to know you're being taught by so-and-so).

-- "don't seem so teacher-like".

You like to be taught but does not like it to be too much of a teacher-to-student teaching session. This may be tough. But then again, it depends on how badly you want to learn from this "teacher". And if your teacher's teaching style doesn't suit you, are you still willing to learn from this person without getting defensive or upset?
If your answer is yes, then it does not matter whether you are being taught using method 1 or 2. Your acceptance largely depends on your personal character. I hope this helps ;)

this sounds very wise.... :thumbsup:

ha ha ha, you teacher what, do your part for singapore, promote use of proper english.

anyway, pls feel free to correct me of my grammer error.

denniskee said:
ha ha ha, you teacher what, do your part for singapore, promote use of proper english.

anyway, pls feel free to correct me of my grammer error.

Though I feel it's important that we learn 'standard English', it's equally essential that we know when to switch on the 'right English' ... when we're speaking to peers or to native speakers of the language ... ;)

As far as forums such as this is concerned, though I'd never try to correct anyone's grammar, I'd appreciate it if people at least try their best to use proper English (w.r.t grammar, sentence structures and spelling). Different people, different backgrounds, different abilities. Doesn't need to be perfect, but (IMHO) we should refrain from *excessive* use of irc-style lingo or other "cute" ways of spelling.

It just makes it easier for people to understand the ideas you're trying to communicate, lah.

To answer the main question, I'd have to say "no", I wouldn't like people to correct my grammar (even if I unwittingly commit an error). I mean, it's a social setting, I'm talking about stuff, sharing ideas, and someone tells me, "by the way, you should've said "shot" not "shoot""... To me, it means you're more concerned with my sentence structures than you are my ideas. Thus, it's with this in mind that I'd refrain from correcting people. It's no big deal, actually.

It's just like in photography and sport (and most other things in life): If nobody asks you for advice, don't give any.

i dun mind being corrected fr gramatical errors on the spot or even, jokingly.. to me, as im not a native to english speaking country, im still learning as i speak... be it singlish or english, malay or chinese... (yes i can speak those lingo)... i mean, isnt the main purpose why we haf languages are so that we could be understood?

speaking of correcting... i wonder if there's any ppl here who correct grammatical errors to their conversing parties as they speak?

I have got no problems with any way that my languige skills could be improved, public or otherwise, and in the most offending possible manner if need be.

You see, I donlt know how to value accuracy in communications. I have never been severely penbelized for communicating inaccurately.

All my life dealing wif piplke here, I have only been hated, condemmed and otherwize been made to feel like an outcast for wanting to clarify matters of communication ... you see ... I don't have the ability to read another person's mind acurately, so in the grand scheme of tings, I am made to be the deficient one because i kunt read piplkes' blarrrdy minds when they issue incomplete, incompoetent or misliding information.

I am sure most ofz you here who have ever worked ina seemingly organised and structured organization woulkjd know wat I mean. I'm sure yo know right? You dun know you stooped or wat? Isa y so KLEARLKY wan oredi mah, so why you dun understand>??

Pleadse use your blain, use your blain ... dun expect me to correct and teach you evgerytinme. I not your mother. You dun kno I tink better you find another job where not so demand on your blain. I supervisor hor, I kno. U dun know, not my pleblem. HIAZZZ! Why hire piple SOOOOO STOOOPEDDDD!!!!! (*&($)+q&#$_(_(p_(*&(*$

Status
Not open for further replies.