How wide does the aperture of the Nikon 105mm f2.8 go?

munchkins

Sep 7, 2004
Central
I just found that when I push the aperture lever at the camera mount of my Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR, the aperture does not seem to go as wide open as with all my other lenses. Even after I mounted it onto my camera, point it to infinity, turned the camera aperture dial to f2.8, dismounted from the camera, the aperture still seem somewhat smallish.

I thought that the blades should still not be visible when I push the aperture lever to wide opened.

Is this the normal characteristics of this lens?

I just found that when I push the aperture lever at the camera mount of my Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR, the aperture does not seem to go as wide open as with all my other lenses. Even after I mounted it onto my camera, point it to infinity, turned the camera aperture dial to f2.8, dismounted from the camera, the aperture still seem somewhat smallish.

I thought that the blades should still not be visible when I push the aperture lever to wide opened.

When you say other lenses, which other lenses are you comparing it to?

BTW F/2.8 means that For a 105mm lens, the max aperture size is 105/2.8 = 37.5mm

Last edited:
munchkins said:

Abit of the blades can still be visible on certain lenses, especially those with older design.

Anyway, if there is nothing impeding the motion of the aperture lever and the lens can be stopped down to the smallest aperture, then there should be no problem.

I just found that when I push the aperture lever at the camera mount of my Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR, the aperture does not seem to go as wide open as with all my other lenses.

By how much (mm)?
Aperture mechanisms have provisions for fine tuning. Even with the same lens, there will be some minor differences due to tolerance.
So every lens has to be individually adjusted to ensure consistent amount of light pass through at a particular aperture setting.
If you're shots are not slightly underexposed, no need to worry

Last edited:
Hi all, thank so much for your reply.

I was comparing it with my 24-70mm, 60mm micro, and 70-200mm lenses. I'll probably be able to confirm when I bring it out for some shoots this weekend. Maybe I got a bit paranoid.

Hi Munchkins, is your lens a G lens? I think G lens will default to the smallest aperture when you dismount it whereas you can control the blades on conventional lenses so nothing to worry about.