How/what you all do to hang your camera

Ghost Kelevra

Aug 12, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
For me i just use hand carry for now. The foc stap they provide is quiet a pain to use the padding is thin and not long enough for my prefence. My set-up is a canon 550D w/batt grip and a tamaron 17 - 50MM non vc(slightly bigger and heavier then the vc version). I dont think a hand strap is practical for my set-up dont you think?

Why would a handstrap be impractical?

I used to hand strap my 7D with battery grip mounted with a 24-70mm and walk around the streets.

Anyway, you can always get a good neck sling from Optech or Crumpler.

I don't really like neck straps as my neck gets sore if I carry it for a long time. So I use a blackrapid and sling it to the side

I just hand strap it along the way if i know i'm gonna take some pics along the way..if not just put back into the bag..

it feels so tourist to be neck hanging with ur dslr in front of ur tummy. haha.

Neck sling hurts my neck and its irritating when the camera bouces on my big tummy. Side sling is impractical cause i use a messenger bag to carry my equipment. I find hand straps hard cause i get sweaty palms easily. I know i seem like a hard to please person:p

Last edited:
AnsQ said:
Why would a handstrap be impractical?

I used to hand strap my 7D with battery grip mounted with a 24-70mm and walk around the streets.

Anyway, you can always get a good neck sling from Optech or Crumpler.

What brand you using bro maybe i can try it out but like i said before i get sweaty plams easily

I don't really like neck straps as my neck gets sore if I carry it for a long time. So I use a blackrapid and sling it to the side

+1 to that..

straps that come from manufacturers come emblazoned with their logos and i hate that...... and not comfortable like others have said

love the neoprene ones

I DIY my own 'Black Rapid' side sling out of used clip and sling from old bags....

I DIY my own 'Black Rapid' side sling out of used clip and sling from old bags....

I was trying to DIY too but a Q strap special offer at $15 is irresistible, so I'm using a Q strap now.

I use the blackrapid most of the time. But when I predict that I will be using a tripod, I will attach my quick release plate to my cam and use the Optech neck strap.

curious though...is 85cm long enough for a neck strap?

saw one pretty nice...thinking of getting one.

whats ur length?

I was using the Canon E1, just got the Herringbone Heritage, but haven't got the chance to go shoot anything yet.

You can check out the photos in the review section done by ortega here.

Sweaty palms, hmm, i can't tell you if using the hand straps mentioned above will help you much. From what i know, people with sweaty palms will get sweaty palms when they are clenching something in their hands, especially for long.

I just adjust the camera strap for more slack and cross sling the camera.
This way, I can easily bring it to eye level w/o getting out of the cross sling.
Can carry the camera the whole day like this w/o any issue (since its almost like slinging a bag), even with an all metal construction 80-200/2.8

I'm still using the neck strap... "Crumpler industry disgrace", but at times, I "convert" it into a handstrap..

Why hang the strap around the neck? It's torture, and not to mention gross. Sling it on the shoulders.

So far haven't find it a torture yet...but gross, yes... But the sling straps looks pretty ex (to me lar)...May get it one of these days.

Im using canon battery grip strap. Its quite painful if heavy lens is mounted but i prefer using it because it is attached to my hand and i know i can shoot anytime without looking for my camera when compare to neck strap.