How Was This Taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
panning + open shutter long enough + slave flash triggering & strobing

if film was used, ND filters may have been attached to lengthen the exposure to capture 4 bursts. intensity of the shadows seem to indicate to strobing flash was fixed. panning seems to be done along the track's curve, blurr lines (or blurr me?:bsmilie:)) on both axis. the green turf gave the game away- PS was done!:devil:

suspicious drag on the 2 images of the cyclist on the rear, the side-side blurring. such indication usually gave the direction of motion. in this case, IMPO not possible for a forward moving ~.

of course, in digital even stacking ND filter may have helped to achieve similiar results.

i oso guessing niah. :bsmilie:

anymore pics?

Looks like a normal pan shoot with a slightly longer shutter speed . Existing lighting in a typical velodrome track. No multi flashes is used. This is a 4 men time trial blistering at a speed of 60mph. The slight blur especially the rear rider is he completing the "hand-over" He was in the front adn then he cycles to the right side of the second rider and he slow just enough that he now gets to the back and become the rear 4th man. This is call drafting...to lessen the wind resistance as a team cutting around this tight track. Sometime it is not the photography you need to know to see how a shot is made. You have to know the sport.

This is a indoor track event with 4 cyclists...

so this is one shot, with a slightly longer shutter speed to induce some motion into the picture..

This is a indoor track event with 4 cyclists...

so this is one shot, with a slightly longer shutter speed to induce some motion into the picture..

You're prob right. If it's for news, they cannot do any major post processing, PS or HDR on it. The industry is very strict on this, if the photographer did anything on it, he might get into serious problems. The PA logo on the right prob stands for PA News Agency, it's a UK news agency.

The Zohan.

Looks like a normal pan shoot with a slightly longer shutter speed . Existing lighting in a typical velodrome track. No multi flashes is used. This is a 4 men time trial blistering at a speed of 60mph. The slight blur especially the rear rider is he completing the "hand-over" He was in the front adn then he cycles to the right side of the second rider and he slow just enough that he now gets to the back and become the rear 4th man. This is call drafting...to lessen the wind resistance as a team cutting around this tight track. Sometime it is not the photography you need to know to see how a shot is made. You have to know the sport.
This seems to be the best explanation, but it doesn't explains for the sharp shadows.

single shot panned but tilted to the right slightly. last rider shadow oof?

think there is a strobe - a late curtain - for the sharp shadows

Sharp rider, sharp shadow. Riders sway left to right a bit as they induce tremendous torque by peddling furiously, but the orientation of the shadows are on a saggatial plane to the rider, so they don't register the sideway motion and appear sharp.

Last edited:
slow shutter speed meter for ambient light
read curtain sync flash from the right hand side to stop the riders and cast sharp shadow
camera movement

From the angle of the shadow, light from another photographer's flash possibly?

I'm curious about the distortion of the light green strip on the inside of the track. Seems to suggest camera movement, but it would mean the camera is rotating. If so, that is some really unusual panning.

Spot on analysis from sammy888. :thumbsup: But I am not too sure whether flash is used. My guess is no, since the front rider is in the dark.

I also noticed the right hand portion of the photo, wonder why it was achieved. Maybe PS this one? :dunno:

No, it can't be PSed as it's a news photo.

The Zohan.

Status
Not open for further replies.