How to you store your ballhead??

Status
Not open for further replies.

helm

Jan 15, 2005
Just curious, in dry cab?? Or...

Attached to either my tripod or monopod, with it's leather bag covering it to prevent dust getting in.

hongjone said:
Same here.
My spare heads are in my dry cabinet. Those attached to the legs (I have a few sets for different purposes) are in their individual sling bags, ready to go in a moment's notice. ;)

I understand y u ask this, I was quite surprised when I ordered my ballhead from US and they actually emphasis that the ballhead should be remove from tripod and place in their neoprene bag that comes with it.

I one day itchy backside forget to take out then the tripod roll down and the knob kana one hole.

This is even stated in the instructions to remove it and store in its provided bag in a cool place.

Dun store in dry cabi, the lubricants will dry out.

Maltese said:
Dun store in dry cabi, the lubricants will dry out.
Errr....,

If the lubricants on ballhead dry out in drycab, how about your camera's and lenses' lubricant in the same drycab :think: ?

IMHO, setting of DryCab's humidity to 40-50%RH should be ok to keep photography gear (including ballhead). To low, below 40%, yes, can dry the lubricants on photography gear (including ballhead).

Regards,
Arto.

Hope i'm not too off topic since this was brought up.

Do u all notice after some time, the rubber focusing ring on your lens turns slightly paler in colour... not sure if it's due to the humidity in the dry cabi.

Priscilia said:

Do u all notice after some time, the rubber focusing ring on your lens turns slightly paler in colour... not sure if it's due to the humidity in the dry cabi.

Yes, mine too. But not that bad.

Priscilia said:

IMHO, you must use the lens more. Oil from your palm will make it better :think: .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Errr....,

If the lubricants on ballhead dry out in drycab, how about your camera's and lenses' lubricant in the same drycab :think: ?

IMHO, setting of DryCab's humidity to 40-50%RH should be ok to keep photography gear (including ballhead). To low, below 40%, yes, can dry the lubricants on photography gear (including ballhead).

Regards,
Arto.
Yup, my %RH is kept between 40-50% RH and no problems so far. Grease doesn't dry up or anything. Rubber parts still dun turn white and all. No fungus or growth for years liao! :sweat:

Priscilia said:

Just need to use your camera and lenses more often. In addition to low humidity, the best thing to prevent fungus growth is air circulation. Unfortunately, inside the dry cabinet, the air is still, a perfect condition for fungus growth.

I personally feel if the humidity in the dry cabinet is set to below 40%, it's too low if the equipment is left inside and not used for a long time. I typically keeps mine at 55-60% and wont worry if it goes over to 65%. Afterall, all my time in California, never owned a dry cabinet in my life. The humidity where I lived, averages low 50-60%, and high of 70-75%. And I used my camera alot.

My ballhead is always fixed to the tripod legs. And after quite a few months, I am unable to unscrew it! So now, the ballhead and tripod legs are now "married" perpertually. Anyway, they are not the expensive stuff, just standard stuff from Manfrotto, 055 + 486RC2.

BTW, anyone got this problem too?

better to let them married lah...sometime when u change too much the centre column plate get too loose until u pan it moves with u irritating.

The newer heads with telfon coating won't have this drying up problem. Think KangRinpoche uses that.

Fixed permanently to tripod legs and all gaffered up :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.