How to visit the court for a hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonyboy

Jun 27, 2009
Singapore
How am i able to visit the court for a hearing?

Any idea like what is the requirement? procedure..and do i need to be the criminal relative or friends?

Basically what i want to ask is...can i go in for a hearing session?

why not just go there and ask

i believe it is possible

Err, well.

Firstly , it save me a trip to the court.

Secondly, so many ppl here, why not ask them?

Any idea like what is the requirement? procedure..and do i need to be the criminal relative or friends?

Do you mean you want to go to watch the proceedure in court? Most courts around the world have open galleries for the public to attend and watch if they so wish. Closed court sessions are just that, closed to the public. Just show up at the court and enter the public gallery area. Do note that different countries have different regulations regarding behaviour but it's pretty much universal that all people in a court rise when the Judge enters and leaves the room.

Do you mean you want to go to watch the proceedure in court? Most courts around the world have open galleries for the public to attend and watch if they so wish. Closed court sessions are just that, closed to the public. Just show up at the court and enter the public gallery area. Do note that different countries have different regulations regarding behaviour but it's pretty much universal that all people in a court rise when the Judge enters and leaves the room.

Yeah, i am talking about singapore.
I want to watch the procedure in court.

I dont know the schecule also..

people these days, like to ask ask ask.

i can find the information on government website, you cannot?

All hearings in the Supreme Court, except for hearings that take place in the Judges' or Registrars' chambers, are open to the public. However, in sensitive cases involving the testimony of a vulnerable witness, for example, hearings may be closed to the public. On such an occasion, there will be a sign on the door bearing the words "Hearing in Camera".

under supreme court FAQ
http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/supremecourt/apps/fcd_faqmain.aspx

weekly law notices:
http://app.supremecourt.gov.sg/default.aspx?pgID=75

I rem walkin into sub court, bow and find myself a corner, sit down and listen. :)

lol, do u know Supreme Court got alot of senior citizen retiree type, everyday got nothing to do, they go to Supreme Court and sit in to listen to trials. If you go Supreme Court (High Court) every day, you will recognise some familiar faces around. Some more the Supreme Court air con very shiok wan. The restaurant also quite good, but quite ex.

Subordinate Courts got fewer seats in the public gallery, so usually the policeman dun allow public to go in, or the public seats all taken.

The trick is to see the notice board on ground floor in supreme court and see what court number got what trial. take note that chambers hearings do not permit public to attend, because chambers hearings take place in judge private chamber. Public can only attend open court hearing. Some trials are open to public, but because these trials are so popular (eg. NKF, Ming Yi monk), it is difficult to get seat because alot of the public queue up early to get a seat. Sometimes, the police do crowd control and may block public access also.

Last edited:
lol, do u know Supreme Court got alot of senior citizen retiree type, everyday got nothing to do, they go to Supreme Court and sit in to listen to trials. If you go Supreme Court (High Court) every day, you will recognise some familiar faces around. Some more the Supreme Court air con very shiok wan. The restaurant also quite good, but quite ex.

Subordinate Courts got fewer seats in the public gallery, so usually the policeman dun allow public to go in, or the public seats all taken.

The trick is to see the notice board on ground floor in supreme court and see what court number got what trial. take note that chambers hearings do not permit public to attend, because chambers hearings take place in judge private chamber. Public can only attend open court hearing. Some trials are open to public, but because these trials are so popular (eg. NKF, Ming Yi monk), it is difficult to get seat because alot of the public queue up early to get a seat. Sometimes, the police do crowd control and may block public access also.

oh ok...i just saw the timetable just now on website..this friday got murder case leh!:bigeyes:

I rem walkin into sub court, bow and find myself a corner, sit down and listen. :)

how long is the trial ? When the trial haven start, still have to bow when there is no judge? LOL:bigeyes:

if trial havent start, u wanna bow to who? lol.

if u go in when the hearing is in process, just bow to the guy. otherwise just rise when he comes into the court.

I remember going there before for some crappy school assignment. You can just walk in but make sure you know the timing of the trial you are interested in. "hot" trials (for example the Huang Na case etc) can attract a lot of people.

Remember to visit the 'UFO' at the top :p

UFO is off limits to public.

You can probably take the escalator all the way up to the entrance, but u cannot go in. It will be locked.

Think you need to arrange to visit beforehand, I went up to the UFO during a class "learning journey"

The UFO is the Court of Appeal.

The UFO is the Court of Appeal.

UFOs ... If you look at all the designs from the late 70s-80s, you will find a lot of UFOs structure.

Eg. Old Neptune, Orchard Mandarin Hotel, the Subordinate court etc ...

subordinate courts should be easy to enter..they have trials daily. just note that cameras/video recorders are not allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.