how to use white balance efx ly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntim

Feb 13, 2002
I'm using s602z. I understand the purpose of white balance is to adjust the tone, accuracy and strength of WHITE in the scene so that the DVC or DC can adjust the tones and strength of the colours of other objects in the scene.

How do you determine which white balance setting to use ? For me, i compare visually what i see on the LCD and what is the tone/shade of the real thing. But when the shots come out, sometimes it isn't very obvious that it worked.

For eg, Bugis MRT station platform has a orange tinge.. the most applicable WB setting I used is "Sunny Outdoors" ?? because other colour of the metal doors and concrete ground appear closest. But the shows still came out quite orangy.

Is mastering WB essential to get a good shot ? i suppose for accurate true colour reproduction ?

I wouldn't say it's essential, after all a photo can still be touched up with a program like Photoshop, but it would save you the trouble of having to correct the picture in the first place.

As for determining what settings to use, I also follow what's displayed in the LCD. If that doesn't work well then I guess you'll just have to experiment.

I rather not leave anything nor everything to photoshop. If we do, then what is the purpose of photography ?

Originally posted by shawntim
I rather not leave anything nor everything to photoshop. If we do, then what is the purpose of photography ?

changing the white balance by manipulating an on camera setting doesn't seem any different from changing the white balance by post processing a RAW file/ using photoshop.

Originally posted by erwinx
changing the white balance by manipulating an on camera setting doesn't seem any different from changing the white balance by post processing a RAW file/ using photoshop.

you're right. But since i'm using a digicam, I try to get the best shots as possible WITHOUT POST PROCESSING IN PHOTOSHOP, since there is no film developing to play with.

Thinking I can use photoshop to adjust whatever flaws my shots have certainly puts no challenge to learning photograhy is there? Why learn how to use aperture to curb underexposure ? there is the tone tool, Adjust Curves and Adjust Levels. Why learn DOF ? there is always feathering, then blur. Bad colour reproduction ? there's always the colour balance and Hue/Saturation.. :rbounce:

And that's the beauty of digital photography. You can manipulate images to make them look better (isn't that the basic idea of photography in the first place? To produce good images?), and you can take as many shots as you want without having to worry about wasting film.

But I'm sure there are still those hardcore film users out there who swear by film photography, and I don't blame them...sometimes there are just things film can do that digital can't.

But no one agrees that using photoshop to CORRECT FLAWS is a no no?? it still shows a lack of photography skill. However editing them to make them look different/nicer eg conversion to duotone, BW, could be accepted.

But no one agrees that using photoshop to CORRECT FLAWS is a no no?? it still shows a lack of photography skill. However editing them to make them look different/nicer eg conversion to duotone, BW, could be accepted.

Well, personally I'm not making photography my career choice, so it doesn't really matter if people thinks my photo skill are lousy. As long as I can capture nice images that will remind me of certain events I'm happy :)

you're right. But since i'm using a digicam, I try to get the best shots as possible WITHOUT POST PROCESSING IN PHOTOSHOP, since there is no film developing to play with.

Thinking I can use photoshop to adjust whatever flaws my shots have certainly puts no challenge to learning photograhy is there? Why learn how to use aperture to curb underexposure ? there is the tone tool, Adjust Curves and Adjust Levels. Why learn DOF ? there is always feathering, then blur. Bad colour reproduction ? there's always the colour balance and Hue/Saturation.. :rbounce:

By selecting white balance on the camera, you are altering the RAW data captured by the camera's CCDs. How is that different from doing it on photoshop?

Personally, i find consumer level cameras like the coolpix 995 so advanced that I can point and shoot and get perfectly decent results, so i don't see all this fuss about white balance etc.

If you are having so much difficulty with all these 'technical' aspects like colour reproduction etc, this suggests that you are an absolute beginner.

The solution is to leave these settings alone cos' the camera can do a better job that you can and concentrate of COMPOSITION and taking pics that 'TELL A STORY' (as someone might say ;) ) After you can take pictures 'worthy' of needing tiny improvements like selecting the correct white balance, then work on these technical aspects.

Originally posted by erwinx
By selecting white balance on the camera, you are altering the RAW data captured by the camera's CCDs. How is that different from doing it on photoshop?

Personally, i find consumer level cameras like the coolpix 995 so advanced that I can point and shoot and get perfectly decent results, so i don't see all this fuss about white balance etc.

If you are having so much difficulty with all these 'technical' aspects like colour reproduction etc, this suggests that you are an absolute beginner.

The solution is to leave these settings alone cos' the camera can do a better job that you can and concentrate of COMPOSITION and taking pics that 'TELL A STORY' (as someone might say ;) ) After you can take pictures 'worthy' of needing tiny improvements like selecting the correct white balance, then work on these technical aspects.

While I appreciate the nudge in the right direction, I do abhor the elitist tone put forth here. If you can accept consumer level P&S and automation, then how high, may I ask, is the standard that you accept ? P&S ? Then why on earth are you equiped with a 35mm SLR ?

White Balance is essential for a digital equipment to capture accurate colours. While I do not argue with the rest who persuade me that colour inaccuracies can be more forgiving with tools like Photoshop, the fact is since I now have a tool, i want to learn all about the features.

Yes, I do admit I'm a beginner. The fact that I'm using a DC and my colours do not come out accurately, then could you help me troubleshoot ? Could you tell if it's the WB or the wrong settings ? Have you ever got so frustrated with capturing a stupid scene because your white looks like sky blue, your purple looks like blue, your beige looks like pink ? Then what can you do about it ? Photoshop ? Why need 2 tools to do the job when you can learn how to accomplish it using only one (your camera) ?

If WB is so needlessly fussy, then why is there such constructive critisms on the "Board... Bald... Member" thread? The success of his picture could also lie with his understanding of WB.

"Freelancer with 35mm SLR Cam"

was that a title given by the no. of posts you gave ? then I apologize for the baseless insinuations.

"Freelancer with 35mm SLR Cam"

was that a title given by the no. of posts you gave ? then I apologize for the baseless insinuations.

Yup... the title changes with the number of posts - it does not reflect what camera (if at all) that the member is using.

Coming back to your original question - for the most part, the in-built color profiles for most digicams will cover majority of lighting situations that can be reasonably encountered. Most common will by Daylight (or Sunny Outdoors), Cloudy, Shade, Indoor Fluorescent, Indoor Tungsten (aka Incandescent).

Taking Daylight as standard (white comes out as white), the other settings will deviate from std as follows IF you set your digicam to Daylight and take under the following conditions:-

Cloudy - slight blue cast
Shade - blue cast
Indoor Fluorescent - green/blue cast depending on type of fluorescent tube
Indoor Tungsten - red/orange cast

By setting the digicam to the appropriate WB setting, it will correct for the color cast and white will become white again.

So, back to your question, for Bugis MRT, sounds like its an indoor shot with sodium/tungsten lights, so the most appropriate WB setting would be Indoor Tungsten and NOT Sunny Outdoors.

The dialog can get more complicated with color temperatures and whatnot, but what I give you is just a sampler ;) Understanding WB and how the lighting can affect the color in the final picture is CRUCIAL not just for digital photography but for photography in general - digital just makes it that much easier to manipulate and control.

If you want to read up on WB and color, here is a good article:-
White Balance and Color Settings Primer by Moose Peterson - CLICK ME!!

Originally posted by Darren

Yup... the title changes with the number of posts - it does not reflect what camera (if at all) that the member is using.

Really? So how many posts before I reach the next level?

;p

Originally posted by qhelix
Really? So how many posts before I reach the next level?

;p

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227

Summary:-
1st Level - 1-100 posts - Newbie with Disposable Cam
2nd Level - 101-500 posts - Amateur with P&S Cam
3rd Level - 501-1000posts - Freelancer with 35mm SLR Cam
4th Level - 1001-2000 posts - Semi-Pro with Medium Format Cam
5th Level - 2001+ posts - Professional with Large Format Cam

My goodness, looks like I have a long way to go, but what the heck, even posts like this one brings me one step closer to achieving my goal
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.