How to use Metz32-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawntim

Feb 13, 2002
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble using my Metz32-1, which I bought 2nd hand. Is there a manual or something to get me familiarized with the flash?

On the flash, I only set 2 items - ISO and aperture.

I find that when using ISO160 on my 602, I'll use ISO100 on the Metz and f4 on the aperture setting, coz f2.8 is kinda weak.

But I'm not sure how does the flash does it's metering, coz sometimes it's underexposed until I set it to the biggest f-stop, which becomes overexposed.:dunno:

Is there anyway I can properly determine the correct settings to use on my flash? I can't possibly do a trial and shoot everytime. I'd loose that moment! I understand that there's no TTL on the 602 :(

There should be a manual and a little bag for holding the flash that comes with the flash. If you are missing these 2 items you should check back with the seller.

Basically, it doesn't matter what you set for the ISO and zoom head setting on the flash, those are just a reference for you to guage distance.

There are only 3 automatic flash powers available for your use, see those 3 "A"s? Those are the 3 different auto modes.

"W" is winder mode which is for continuous shooting and you need to flash several bursts of flash quickly (which S602 doesn't seem to support??).

"M" is manual where the flash fires full power all the time. It ignores the light sensor on the flash.

From my personal experience, the flash tends to be a little underexposed if you go according to recommendations on the flash. For e.g. if you use ISO200 on the 2nd "A" setting, the recommended aperture size is f/5.6. If you set ISO200 and f/5.6 on the camera, the pics turn out a little underexpose. I find that using +2/3EV to +1EV on the camera (i.e., setting aperture to f/4 or f/4.5) seems to produce a better exposure.

Do experiment with the settings to see what gives you the correct exposure before you take the flash out for field use. Good luck!

erhm.. btw, what does +1EV means? Is it equivalent to an additional stop?

Originally posted by shawntim
erhm.. btw, what does +1EV means? Is it equivalent to an additional stop?

+1EV means that your flash will fire with extra power equivalent to one addtional stop.

so does one stop on the flash means the same as an extra stop of exposure on the camera?

but 602 doesn't do TTL. So when I set +1/3,+2/3 or +1EV on my cam, does it affect the flash in any way?

Do a "manual" correction instead of using EV compensation. Shoot either in manual (flash photography) or AP (fill flash). No point using SP becoz it doesn't make sense to do so with flash!!

If your flash tells you to use f/5.6, use f/4 instead for a full +1EV, or f/4.5 for +2/3EV.

What is the zoom position selector for aperture calculator?
and the Zoom position selector for reflector?

How to use them and what the difference?

Thanks

ok, I've to admit I'm a little lost here.

Flash settings on the camera ranges from -0.6,-0.3,0,+0.3+0.6. There is exposure compensation also for AP and SP.

So, other than the correct exposure as metered by the camera, how does all these values factor in? What happens when I use exposure compensation and +0.6 and a smaller aperture (eg manual mode) etc.. how does all these add up?

Originally posted by Bato
What is the zoom position selector for aperture calculator?
and the Zoom position selector for reflector?

How to use them and what the difference?

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'm correct but to the best of my knowledge, I'll try to answer ur ques.

The zoom position selector on the back does not affect the power of the flash. It's only there to serve as an indicator as to how far the flash can reach at the selected aperture and ISO.

The one for the reflector, on the other hand, controls the spread of the flash. 28 gives you the widest coverage. For wide angle, normally, I'll use somewhere between 28-35

Originally posted by imaginary_number

I'm not sure if I'm correct but to the best of my knowledge, I'll try to answer ur ques.

The zoom position selector on the back does not affect the power of the flash. It's only there to serve as an indicator as to how far the flash can reach at the selected aperture and ISO.

The one for the reflector, on the other hand, controls the spread of the flash. 28 gives you the widest coverage. For wide angle, normally, I'll use somewhere between 28-35

So I don't need to adjust anything on the zoom position selector on the back?

or It should be thesame settings as the reflector?

Thanks again...

Originally posted by Bato

So I don't need to adjust anything on the zoom position selector on the back?

or It should be thesame settings as the reflector?

Thanks again...

It should be the same 'coz then you can see (on the flash) what's the effective range for the selected aperture and ISO.

so does one stop on the flash means the same as an extra stop of exposure on the camera?

but 602 doesn't do TTL. So when I set +1/3,+2/3 or +1EV on my cam, does it affect the flash in any way?

This changes the exposure for the whole picture, and geneally does not influence the flash exposure (which is controlled by aperture).

There're a few ways to compensate for flash. The best way is to adjust the camera's aperture relative to what the flash indicates. e.g. at ISO 200 for the flash and camera, if the auto mode on the flash indicates F4 , setting F2.8 for the camera compensates by +1EV. Setting F5.6 on the camera compensates by -1EV.

Remember that generally only the aperture settings affect the flash exposure. Shutter speed do not unless you're using a fast shutter speed (e.g. faster than 1/1000s).

You might want to check out the article:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/EXT-FLASH/NIKON/NIKON-use-A-995.html

mpenza has done an excellent job of explaining how you should compensate for what the flash recommends liao. ;)

Originally posted by shawntim Flash settings on the camera ranges from -0.6,-0.3,0,+0.3+0.6.

The flash compensation in camera will not affect external flash becoz there's no communication between flash and camera. That setting is only for the internal flash.

thanks guys.. that article was really useful..at least i know roughly how to work my cam..

btw, what is the GN for metz 32-1? is it in feet or metres?

GN=32m at 50mm zoom and 37m at full 85mm zoom (zoom is adjusted by the slider near the front of the flash). do note that the max effective distance is GN (adjusted by ISO; for every doubling of ISO, multiply by ~1.4) divided by aperture setting.

thanks mpenza.. roughly got that.. when do I change the zoom setting on the flash? for eg.. i'm always using 35mm irregardless of zoom. Is this incorrect usage?

Does it mean that when i zoom in about a third of the 210mm possible I should change to 85mm?

there's no need to "zoom" the flash head if you do not need the extra flash frange. "zooming" just make the flash beam narrower and give it a further reach.

generally you keep the flash "wider" than the camera's lens. However, there could be cases when you want to zoom in to focus the flash on a particular subject. E.g., you're shooting at 35mm but you zoom the flash head at 85mm to focus the flash on a particular subject of interest.

Is there anyway I can properly determine the correct settings to use on my flash? I can't possibly do a trial and shoot everytime. I'd loose that moment! I understand that there's no TTL on the 602 :(

You don't need to do a trial everytime. You only need to do a good test once and for all.

You can take some guesswork out of equation by using your camera's metering and extrapolate from there. There are a few other methods you could apply and that's where the fun begins. :)

Like what darkness advised, experiment with the settings in various lighting conditions. Once you get more handling experience, setting up in most situations would become second nature to you.

If you find all these work troublesome, you shouldn't even begin photography but buy a dummy auto-everything camera.

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble using my Metz32-1, which I bought 2nd hand. Is there a manual or something to get me familiarized with the flash?

On the flash, I only set 2 items - ISO and aperture.

I find that when using ISO160 on my 602, I'll use ISO100 on the Metz and f4 on the aperture setting, coz f2.8 is kinda weak.

But I'm not sure how does the flash does it's metering, coz sometimes it's underexposed until I set it to the biggest f-stop, which becomes overexposed.:dunno:

Hi Shawn, may I ask how much u manage to get the flash? Coz tot of getting 1 too, a second-hand at $120. Is it a good price?

Status
Not open for further replies.