How to use Infra filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

locksley

Jan 26, 2004
Central Area
Hi Ppl,

Me blur blur go and bought a hoya Infra filter .
When I put it on the len, I cannot see a thing !!! :D

Can anyone guide me ??
Very lost :p

Regards
Locksley @ Shanghai

yeah man, you won't see a thing (at least that's what happens on my D70). so either u screw on the filter after you have what you want in the viewfinder, or ... like what i do ... guesswork :bsmilie: for IR shots, i shoot at f8 and about 2 to 3 seconds exposure.

have fun

Really !!
My god !!

How's about the WB ?
I did some test shoot
more to the red side leh

Ay ideal ?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
unless you have a sony camera & on the nightshot... , otherwise you can't see a thing... u bought the R72 or the RM90?

mine is R72 :)

locksley said:
Really !!
My god !!

How's about the WB ?
I did some test shoot
more to the red side leh

Ay ideal ?

Some do custom white balance, so they get some err ... colored IR pics after doing some post processing. For me, I just shoot with auto WB because I will convert them to black+white anyway.

IR you'll need quite a bit of post processing lah...take the pics...then desaturate in PS lor...me usually use the Channel Mix function...more control...some folks here tried to colorize the IR pic...pretty cool...personally donno how to do that thou...I'm sure there're tips on the net with this regards...heh...

have fun!!!

kelster said:
IR you'll need quite a bit of post processing lah...take the pics...then desaturate in PS lor...me usually use the Channel Mix function...more control...some folks here tried to colorize the IR pic...pretty cool...personally donno how to do that thou...I'm sure there're tips on the net with this regards...heh...

have fun!!!

i think they use custom WB, then switch the red & blue channels in PS (hope that's right).

i see
thanks guys :p

Still need some PS afterall

Share this with you guys. Below pictures shot with Hoya R72, D70.

1. Preset W/B done with R72 fitted on lens on a brightly lit patch of grass.
2. Shot in Aperture Priority, W/B on preset.
3. Camera AF on, AE off.
4. With R72 off the lens, half press shutter to focus scene.
5. Keep finger on half press shutter, fit R72 on lens and fully press shutter to shoot. Exposure will then be determined by camera's program. Depending on Aperture selected (f5.6 to f8, shutter speed may vary from 1 to 4 secs.With camera mounted on tripod, you will have no problem fitting on the R72 while half pressing the shutter.
6. Picture below is as is from the camera except for slight USM. No channel swapping or de-saturation neccessary if preset W/B is properly measured.
7. Best results for IR photography is a brightly lit day without overcast.

Here're the sample pics.

50242-large-DSC_1353_crop.jpg

50244-large-DSC_1462_framed.jpg

adamadam said:
Can't do InfraRed using 300D can you?

:confused: i remember reading somewhere about canon had better control of their ir in their camera than nikon, so canon cmos is not so good in ir capture than nikon ccd. :think:

teerex said:
Share this with you guys. Below pictures shot with Hoya R72, D70.

1. Preset W/B done with R72 fitted on lens on a brightly lit patch of grass.
2. Shot in Aperture Priority, W/B on preset.
3. Camera AF on, AE off.
4. With R72 off the lens, half press shutter to focus scene.
5. Keep finger on half press shutter, fit R72 on lens and fully press shutter to shoot. Exposure will then be determined by camera's program. Depending on Aperture selected (f5.6 to f8, shutter speed may vary from 1 to 4 secs.With camera mounted on tripod, you will have no problem fitting on the R72 while half pressing the shutter.
6. Picture below is as is from the camera except for slight USM. No channel swapping or de-saturation neccessary if preset W/B is properly measured.
7. Best results for IR photography is a brightly lit day without overcast.

Here're the sample pics.

50242-large-DSC_1353_crop.jpg

50244-large-DSC_1462_framed.jpg

nice shots you have there, but thinking, you used green preset white balance? so can just use a green card? think best would be using a wired remote, so dun have to press & circle the tripod while 1 hand on the cam... :sweat:

totally agreed with the sunlight part, if there is alot of clouds, your picture will look very dull, esp after a rain..

Hi,

Older cameras without good IR blocking filters much better. You can see the effect in the viewfinder. Set to B&W if available.
Suggest: Nikon 950, Olympus 2020, Dimage 7.

PICT0029s.jpg

Taken with Dimage 7.

Cheers.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
nice shots you have there, but thinking, you used green preset white balance? so can just use a green card? think best would be using a wired remote, so dun have to press & circle the tripod while 1 hand on the cam... :sweat:

totally agreed with the sunlight part, if there is alot of clouds, your picture will look very dull, esp after a rain..

Yes you should be able to use a green card for your preset W/B. But make sure that the color tone of the green card used is close to the natural colors of the foliage you're shooting. Else you will get a off tone white in your shots. You may notice that grass and tree leaves have a different tone of green at different places.

Using a remote to activate the shutter is one option. But with some practice, you won't need to "circle the tripod". You don't actually need to screw in the IR filter on the lens, after focusing just gently bring the filter with your left hand up to the lens as close as possible and shoot. Those 2 shots you see above were shot hand held. I'm always very lazy to lug around a tripod.

These are my experiences with shooting IR. Others may have different experiences, perhaps they can share. Like the very nice picture arm posted that he shot with a Dimage7. The whites in my pictures are still off as compared to the whites in arm's picture.

Adiemus said:
Oh... Blind me.... a thousand apologies.... :bsmilie:

How are you coming along with your IR photography. Plenty of discussions and samples Here and Here

IRtreedye.jpg

Taken with pieces of film over lens of cheap cheap digital camera :bsmilie:

Then I got my 300D, and a R72... can't do it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.