How to use flash without firing built in flash?

uragon82

Sep 30, 2011
Hi I am using D7000 nikon with SB700 flash, I am new on using flash i just want to ask if how will I fire the flash of my SB700 without firing my built in flash . Using my D7000 only without any trigger?

thank you very much..

Hi I am using D7000 nikon with SB700 flash, I am new on using flash i just want to ask if how will I fire the flash of my SB700 without firing my built in flash . Using my D7000 only without any trigger?

thank you very much..
are you talking about using D7000 built in flash as commender and SB700 is set as remote flash?
read the camera user manual, you need to go to camera custom menu to set your built in flash as commender and without flash output aka "-.-", than go to custom manual of your SB700, set SB700 as remote flash.

i don't want to start N v C war but my basic C does not popup the built-in flash when I attach external flashgun...

i don't want to start N v C war but my basic C does not popup the built-in flash when I attach external flashgun...

I believe TS is asking, how to trigger his external flash remotely and not using the build in flash as a commander... I think none of Canon camera can do that unless you use a wireless remote flash trigger. Not too sure about Nikon (was not a nikon user).

thank you very much..

I am assuming you intend to trigger your SB700 wirelessly using only your D7000 camera, and no other accessories.

As mod catchlights has mentioned, you have to set the D7000's pop up flash to commander mode, with pop up flash set to '--' and slave (eg. Ch A) set to 'TTL' or 'M' or whatever you fancy. You WILL have to pop up the flash and fire though, but it should not contribute to your overall exposure.

Switch to the Canon system and get yourself a 600EX-RT and another 600EX-RT or ST-E3, then you can get true "wireless" flash.

That aside, the pop-up flash must be fired in order for your SB-700 to trigger, even if you set the built-in flash output to nil. The "wireless" nomenclature confuses alot of first time users since in their mind wireless means Wi-Fi or some sort of radio system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Buy Pocket Wizards!

J-Chan said:
The "wireless" nomenclature confuses alot of first time users since in their mind wireless means Wi-Fi or some sort of radio system.

Not to those of us who have used infrared remotes with tvs and vcrs. ;-)

Blur Shadow said:
Buy Pocket Wizards!

+1

Seems like the simplest solution if you don't want any light output from the flash.

Or you can buy the su 800. The output in that case is infrared.

Thanks for your help .. Guys...

Not to those of us who have used infrared remotes with tvs and vcrs. ;-)

I believe they are optical triggered and not infrared. ;)

Infrared IS optical...

Infrared = light

You can't see infrared ray (can you?) but can see the flash fires to trigger the slave. ;)

You can't see infrared ray (can you?) but can see the flash fires to trigger the slave. ;)

Just because your eyes cannot see that wavelength of light does not mean it's not optical. It's still a light being flashed.

Just because your eyes cannot see that wavelength of light does not mean it's not optical. It's still a light being flashed.

So are you saying slave flash trigger by infrared?

Infrared IS optical...

Infrared = light

BTW, infrared is light, but infrared is not optical!

Optical = visible light. ;)

GRbenji said:
BTW, infrared is light, but infrared is not optical!

Optical = visible light. ;)

Optical is not just visible light. It's ANY light.