How to use close-up filters?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by darkness
Which leads me to another point, I suppose tripod would become necessary since it's close and focus is critical right??

Good to have but not necessary.

My shots are usually handheld so that I can achieve a good angle and composition quickly. There is more chance of the image being blur due to the wind blowing(which you have no control over) rather than handshake. Just ensure that the shutter speeds are sufficiently high and you should be alright. Normally you don't move forward/backward once u focus, so it shouldn't be any problem.

Originally posted by chenwei

for me i will say tripod is essential because the moment my hand shake a bit bit, the image already out of frame or out of focus liao... :what:

Use an external flash to get handholdable shutter speed....

Originally posted by Zerstorer

55-52 tube->52-55 stepup->+4->55-55tube->Fuji 1.5x

Can't attach the +4 behind the Tele without a tube in between.

hmm... interesting idea. Anyway, I'm doing something similar. I use a 52-58 step-up ring and a 58-55 step-down ring to attach the Fuji 1.5x to my 52mm UV filter.

Darkness,

Dun worry about the short distance you're away from insects. I always use 2 x +4 close-up filters, which means i'm 10cm away from insects. Still shoot them like nobody's business.

I shoot in both AF and MF. Both works well. But there's a slight note however. When in MF, if your manual focus ring is turned fully clockwise(until you hear no 'clicking' sound), your focusing distance is slightly increased (12cm using 2 x +4). Turning it fully anti-clockwise gives ard 9cm. You may want to try this with your +4.

Using tripod tends to restrict you from composing flexibly. I always hand held with a min 1/125 and use external flash.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
I'm about 25cm away...which isn't that difficult actually. Most insects aren't that jittery and normally won't fly off until you are really close. I saw that one in my garden and managed to get a couple of shots before it flew off.
Hmm.. you mean with the +4 and TC, you get 25cm also? I tot the +4 alone gives you 25cm, and with a TC, your focusing distance probably should be more than 35cm away?

Originally posted by azone

Hmm.. you mean with the +4 and TC, you get 25cm also? I tot the +4 alone gives you 25cm, and with a TC, your focusing distance probably should be more than 35cm away?
i know it sounds strange but i tried using my teleconverter and +4 closeup, the focusing distance is decreased! :confused: arh... headache... tot should be further? :(

Originally posted by azone

Yep, you're right. I'd expect it to be further away too, but at such small distances I can't really tell the exact distance. 25cm or 35cm is still pretty close.;p

mpenza sayez
hmm... interesting idea. Anyway, I'm doing something similar. I use a 52-58 step-up ring and a 58-55 step-down ring to attach the Fuji 1.5x to my 52mm UV filter.

Ah, your's would be a less bulky configuration. Anyway I'm surpised that I'm still able to a slight vignetting free range even with this funny setup. I'm using this mainly coz I'm lazy to take out the 52-55mm tube, coz it has the UV filter attached to it.

Originally posted by mpenza

Just curious, would a single 52-55 step-up ring after the +4 work?

55-52 lens adapter -> +4 -> 52-55 step-up -> tele

Status
Not open for further replies.