How to use bounce card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genegoh

Mar 20, 2006
Simei
www.photosbymarbles.com
Hi, newbie here.
Have heard a lot about pple using bounce card. Some prefer them to omnibounce and all. I'm wondering how to use a bounce card. Do you turn the flash head all the way up? 45 or 60 degrees?
My flash head cannot turn left and right, only up and down, is it still possible to take relatively good portrait pictures?
Would appreciate any tips. Thanks! ;)

Usually i'll tilt to 60 degress then bounce. If you're taking in portrait mode it's harder if your flash head cannot tilt sideways as you can mount the bounce card in the usual position for the same effects. If you are to bounce just tilting upwards in portrait orientation, can be used also but your shadows will be harsher.

genegoh said:
Hi, newbie here.
Have heard a lot about pple using bounce card. Some prefer them to omnibounce and all. I'm wondering how to use a bounce card. Do you turn the flash head all the way up? 45 or 60 degrees?
My flash head cannot turn left and right, only up and down, is it still possible to take relatively good portrait pictures?
Would appreciate any tips. Thanks! ;)
Recommended is 60deg for omnibounce.

Snoweagle said:
Usually i'll tilt to 60 degress then bounce. If you're taking in portrait mode it's harder if your flash head cannot tilt sideways as you can mount the bounce card in the usual position for the same effects. If you are to bounce just tilting upwards in portrait orientation, can be used also but your shadows will be harsher.
Sorry, but dun quite get the bit on tiliting upwards for protrait shots... when I turn my camera to take portrait, the flash is to my left, so my flash head tilt how many degrees? Sorry ah... really new to this kinda thing... :(
I've got a DIY thing that looks like the lumiquest pocket bouncer... it should be able to throw the light forward... do u think it will do?
My flash head can only tilt up & down.
Paiseh... newbie, so everything budget one... can DIY must DIY... hehe

genegoh said:
Sorry, but dun quite get the bit on tiliting upwards for protrait shots... when I turn my camera to take portrait, the flash is to my left, so my flash head tilt how many degrees? Sorry ah... really new to this kinda thing... :(
I've got a DIY thing that looks like the lumiquest pocket bouncer... it should be able to throw the light forward... do u think it will do?
When you do a portrait shot, it should still point upwards 60 degrees, which mean if you leave the flash in that position and turn your camera back to the landscape orientation, it would be pointing right or left 60 deg depending on whether you hold portrait orientation with right hand on top or at the bottom respectively.

genegoh said:
Instead of looking for a magical 'what-to-do' formulae, I suggest you try and take some test shots with the various tilt angles and see for yourself what it does.

There is no right/wrong methods to use bounce card.

Oh... ok thanks... But my flash cannot swivel left/right leh... haiz...
Well, I guess trial and error is the way to go I guess...

genegoh said:

What i meant is that you still bounce as per normal as your flash head cannot turn left and right, but only thing is that your shadows will be harsher.

If your flash head have a left and right tilt, tilt it upwards in portrait orientation (i.e. tilt right) and place the bouce card in the same landscape position.

The Suntax? Hmm then bo pian liao. Maybe time to replace with one that can. Else use lumniquest bounce lor, $60+ but no need to tilt head.

snoweagle, thanks.. I get it now... will try to play ard with the flash and bounce card.

espn, ya, I got something like the pocket bouncer... DIY one... so proud of it... haha... but haven't tested in actual situation yet... so it's free... hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.