How to use a sand bag for long lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stress

Sep 5, 2006
Is there special sand bags or DIY? How does it look like and how big. I heard for those Pro but didn't get what they are saying. Sand bag for long lens the best????? :dunno:

Can someone enlighten me?
I've tried shooting 300mm with 2X and it's hell!!!!!! Slight shake also cannot. Very sensitive:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

get those hydraulic vid cam type heads and you have less shake. or you can get the sidekick for your 300mm

BTW this is in the wrong sub forum.

monopod will be better...

the beanbag/sandbag method is better for car window shooting or prone position. if not just get a good monopod & train how to hold ur lens in a very stable way.

You been through army before? Use the sandbag in the same way you use it at the range for your rifle (whatever rifle you happened to have handled in your NS days)

Try using a beanbag. Not as messy as a sandbag.

You can fashion a small cloth bag using a simple sewing kit and some rags. Fill it with green beans (not too tightly packed).

Size of the bean-bag should be adjusted for the size of lens you are using.

Bernard

hi bro, how r u? i think you're referring to the shake caused by the mirror slap right? i just read a tip in a magazine about 2 days ago (after meeting you).

after mounting your lens and cam on the tripod, put your sandbag/beanbag on top of the lens and body to prevent the shake caused by the mirror slap. of course we're talking about a beanbag or sandbag roughly the size of your palm/hand or else you might damage your camera setup and your tripod.:sweat:

Thanks Bro and the rest too.... will try soon.:D

Hey, 600mmx1.5factor = 900mm is pretty seriously looong liao.

I have 2 suggestions though:

A Try higher ISO to get higher shutter speed like 1/1000 or higher

B Try going without the TC and then crop 2x to see how good it is - or rather see how much easier it is to capture the shot. I would rather capture the shot than try to get better IQ, but miss some precious great shot.

Of course, what others have mentioned is still pretty useful.

Here's a shot I got by cropping more than 2x. I was actually considering a 1.4xTC - I wouldn't have captured it with the TC given the field conditions. ;p

wSPT_0097.jpg

use pillow :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.